Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

EGR soot cleaning to have less replacement problems

Have an 04 Essex with 500 ISM and have had to replace the EGR valve 2 times in the first 50K/6 years. Installed Snow water methanol injection and have gone 50K more in the last 3 years without any EGR problems. Contacted Snow company and said this isn't that unusual to have no EGR problems after installing water/methanol system. I removed a intake sensor from the engine and you can see how the one side is clean that is in the path of the incoming air to engine. I have also found at least a 5 mph increase on 6plus% grades with the W/M injection. Out here in the west a lot of mountain grades and the W/M injection is nice for those grades. Am only using injection on mountain grades. Cost around 1K$ to purchase but was paying 1.5K to replace EGR valve at Cummins. If having EGR valve problems might want to check water/methanol out. Both longer EGR usage with out problems and performance on mountain grades. The only down side I have found is refilling 7 gallon tank. Tom
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #2

Do you know what an EGR valve is? I just do not understand how a water injection system can do anything to for an EGR valve.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #3

Yes I do know what a EGR valve is. EGR valve let a metered amount of exhaust back in to the intake to control exhaust emissions. It stands for exhaust gas re-circulation. The water/methanol injection keeps the exhaust, top of the pistons, valves, EGR and other intake parts free of soot. When I 1st put the system on the side of the coach and the tow car had soot all over the exhaust side. This was confirmed by contacting Snow Engineering whose system we are using. It has been know for over 50 years that spraying a small amount of water in the intake system on both gas and diesel engines will clean the pistons, valves and combustion chamber of carbon. This has been done in shops were the carbon built up has cause either to high compression or pre-ignition because of hot spots on the carbon. When I talked with Cummins and they said the number 1 problem with EGR valves is soot and carbon. They said if you can keep the soot and carbon away from EGR valve will let EGR valve last a lot longer. Some owners are taking the EGR valve off to clean soot from valve and then re-installing. Hope this answer your question on how water/methanol injection can make your EGR valve last longer.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement