Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
No doubt true. The EMP fan though, the specs show 300-500 pounds.

Matt B

The weight of 330 lbs includes the radiator, charge air cooler, alternator, fans, and controller
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Electric Engine Fans

Quote:
The 10,000 CFM fan concerns me - that is about what a pickup-truck fan moves,

Not from what I've been able to see.... the pickup fans I've researched are less than 6000CFM

The EMP system goes up to 18,000 CFM
Old 12-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #17

So it sounds feasible - I like that.

Who is going to try it?
Old 12-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #18

Quote:
So it sounds feasible - I like that.

Who is going to try it?
This sounds like a project for Dutch Star Don. . Post lots of photos.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #19

I found a municipal bid from 2012 online, for a large quantity of the EMP Hybrid cooling systems. Apparently installation cost not included. Price per was $13,702 each.

Matt B
Old 12-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Electric Engine Fans

Quote:
I found a municipal bid from 2012 online, for a large quantity of the EMP Hybrid cooling systems. Apparently installation cost not included. Price per was $13,702 each.

Matt B

From what I could determine the complete kit includes the radiator and charge air cooler, and new alternator....so the price is more reasonable considering radiators for big diesels are pricy already.

Seems reasonable that spartan or freightliner could offer the EMP system on their top tier chassis as an option.......probably not a cost effective retrofit for an old RV unless you were a DIYer and wanted a "cool" project 🙂
Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Is yours a side radiator? My '04 Tradition with side radiator had a hydraulic driven, variable speed fan and the fan controller went out (defaults to full speed). No "wax valves" or anything like that. Easy enough to replace, but the part is about $800 as I recall (mine was a Freightliner on XCM chassis). At full fan speed, the engine runs cold most of the time, and mpg suffers as well. However, if the dash a/c kicks in and/ or the engine & tranny produce extra heat (under load), the temperature will come back down toward "normal".

Be aware that the cooling fans are a chassis supplied item, not Cummins, although the electronic engines have fan speed control capability from the ECM.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #22

It may make a difference if your radiator & charge air cooler are sandwiched together or stacked. Mine are stacked.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would bet if it was practical to use electric fans for cooling the large manufactuers would be doing it. Over the road milage is a big selling point, if you could claim a extra 1/2 mpg it would mean more sales.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Electric Engine Fans

Look at the electric fans on this baby !!!!!

https://youtu.be/At3xcj-pTjg
Old 03-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE: Had a new thermostat installed @ Pensacola. Memphis now and the bus is still running cold. Any suggestions as to the problem? The fan seems to speed up with more RPM,s The side fan doesn't seem to roar.
Going towards Kansas City-Omaha today. Does anybody know of a good Freightliner shop along this way?
Thanks-DeBUSK
DeBUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBUSK View Post
UPDATE: Had a new thermostat installed @ Pensacola. Memphis now and the bus is still running cold. Any suggestions as to the problem? The fan seems to speed up with more RPM,s The side fan doesn't seem to roar.
Going towards Kansas City-Omaha today. Does anybody know of a good Freightliner shop along this way?
Thanks-DeBUSK

Are you certain the gauge is reading accurately? Maybe it's just the gauge reading lower than normal.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #27
TR4

I would get one of these. Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer With Laser Targeting.

Then compare your gauge to the thermometer. Take the reading off the thermostat housing.

Then get this. VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
One of the best investments I made

What do you consider "operating temperature"

My fan is at idle when the motor is cold, so the fan controler is basically bypassing the fan.

Have you checked the coolant and air sensors (either will cause fan to run)?

Is your A/C compressor running (will cause fan to run at medium)?

Bill
Old 03-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TR4

Thank you for the info. What and where are the air sensors?

I stopped @ two different Freightliner shops on the way home. Both stated no experience with hyd side radiators and they had ZERO knowledge on repairs. They stated the expense involved in them hit and miss wouldn't be worth it. They said call other Freightliner dealer and ask if they have had experience or know of a shop that has knowledge.

TR4, thanks for the info. Where are the air sensors located on Cummins? I am not familiar with the sensors.

Thanks to all,
DeBusk
DeBUSK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, fan