Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Electrical advice needed - alt charge light issue

Rig is an 06 Monaco Camelot ISL400. Alternator failed while crossing Louisiana. Mobile technician replaced Leece-Neville 160 amp (not available) with Delco-Remy 24SI 180amp. Had a hard time getting the alt charge light to go out even though good voltage; eventually got it to work. Drove to two different campgrounds on separate days, traveling approximately 400 miles. When started on third day alt charge light/chime back on. Voltage 13.5 to 13.8 volts and no other warning lights. Checked connections and found wire just wrapped around stud and two wires joined together rather than to separate connections as original. Found two fuses near the alternator; on-line research says should have been both 5 amp, I found 3 amp and 15 amp (neither blown). Located relay in accessory bay and found it blown.

I have some knowledge of electrical but would like advice from experts.

1. Why would the tech wire the two wires (ignition and relay) instead of connecting to the I and R posts on the alternator? He struggled to get the light to go out originally but eventually did get it to go out by doing this, and it worked for a couple of days. Both wires are connected to the I post.
2. Could the bad connection at the alternator have caused the relay to blow?
3. I'm assuming the relay smoked as bad as it did because of the 15 amp fuse (which never blew)?
4. Final question...what is the purpose of the relay? Just wondering why the voltage wasn't run directly to the circuit. Does the relay reduce voltage?

Also found out the relay is discontinued so will be calling Monaco and Tyco tomorrow to figure out what replacement to buy. Thankfully it's just an indication issue!

Thanks in advance,
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alt wire.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	188746   Click image for larger version

Name:	burnt relay.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	188747  

z32k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1. If the technician did that red wire, he should be taken out back and put to pasture. Seriously that is the most lame 'fix' I've ever seen.
2. If the alt fail line was wired to the ignition feed, then that will blow the relay. The relay is six volts, and ignition feed is 12.
3. The relay can be found but it is difficult to find it.
4. The fuses are for the ignition feed to energize the alternator (often not needed) and for the alt-fail light circuit. Get that 15 amp fuse out of there, and put in the proper 5 amp fuse.
5. That alternator may not support an alt fail lamp. That alternator may not provide the proper voltages for an alt fail lamp. What is the exact mode number for that new alternator, and do you have any documentation for it.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the response.

I was livid when I saw the wire; shame on me for not checking while he was there and if I wasn't about 1,000 miles way I would be going back. Who would think a "professional" would do something like this.

I replaced the fuses as soon as I found they were wrong.

Interesting that it took so long to blow the relay if it had over-voltage; I drove about 700 miles and several start/stops before it blew.

The alternator does have a R connection that outputs max half alternator voltage so that would be around 7 volts. Once I find another relay I'll connect the wiring correctly.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
By chance did you keep the old alternator??

Not sure on your year coach but on mine Monaco used a Leece Neville Alternator with the DVAC system. Most standard alternators will not interchange (easily).

From what I've read it is better to have the old alternator rebuilt. That's what I did ~5 years ago when my alternator quite working. Took it to a local shop, had it done in less then 24 hrs, cost $185.

While I was troubleshooting I contacted Prestolite and gave them my original part number for the leece Neville alternator, they gave me a contact in case my alternator was not rebuildable.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #5

I did keep the alternator and plan to have it rebuilt. At the time we were stranded in the middle of nowhere so options were limited. The Delco-Remy site does show this as a replacement for my model.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #6

Update

Jacwjames posted yesterday that some alternators will not work with replacement alternators and that is the case with Delco-Remy. Kudo's to REV Group and the Monaco tech line for responding to my email request for help. They informed me they have not engineered a way to make the alt fail light work when a different alternator is used to replace the OEM. So bottom line is I disconnected the wires from the I terminal and secured them until I can get the original rebuilt. Not a big deal since I have the dash voltage and Aladdin readouts.

Still no excuse for the shoddy work by the technician but since he wasn't a Monaco tech he wouldn't have known. The Delco-Remy site does show the 24SI as the correct replacement.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by z32k12 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I was livid when I saw the wire; shame on me for not checking while he was there and if I wasn't about 1,000 miles way I would be going back. Who would think a "professional" would do something like this.
I'm an EE from a past life (and had a company that made truck diesel engine electronics...) I've never seen such a half-assed repair in all my years.
Quote:
I replaced the fuses as soon as I found they were wrong.
Good.
Quote:

Interesting that it took so long to blow the relay if it had over-voltage; I drove about 700 miles and several start/stops before it blew.
They'll take a bit of abuse. Judging on the melted case, your's was seriously over heated for a while.
Quote:

The alternator does have a R connection that outputs max half alternator voltage so that would be around 7 volts. Once I find another relay I'll connect the wiring correctly.
Sounds like the terminal you will need for the light.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #8

I would take pictures of the shoddy work and call the place where you had the work done and raise a big stink about it and email the pictures and demand a partial refund.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suggest having a professional ALTERNATOR technician look at it.

Alas, Though I have some knowledge of electronics and that includes generators and alternators.....

Not all mechanics are that good at that stuff.

Tags
advice, electric, electrical, light