Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Angry Electrical Problems.

Hello.
Just bought this motorhome and had the starting battery die on the way home.
Bought a new battery and came on home.
Now looking into my problems found the alternator was not working. Have now installed a rebuilt Delco Remy 160 amp same as the old one. This alternator has one large red wire that goes to the battery isolator the other heavy black wire goes to ground. Underneath is a plug in connection on a single small wire that fell apart with corrosion.On that wire a few inches from the end is a diode.
Where does this wire come from and what is it for?
On start up the alternator does not seem to be charging. any ideas would be welcome. Thank you.
Brian

Cummins 6BT5.9
Brian Cloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This might be an exciter wire that basically starts the alternator to charge.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
This might be an exciter wire that basically starts the alternator to charge.
Either that or the tach wire, but I'm guessing the exciter wire as above.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #4

On a delco, I think the field (exciter wire) and sense (basically remote voltage sensing) wires would be the two prong blade type connector located along the outside edge at the back of the alternator.

Your alternator may be a self exciting one-wire type unit that does not use either of those two connections. All that is required is a hot wire from the battery and a ground.

If your alternator does not immediately start charging, but then starts to charge once the engine rpm is bumped up a little bit... this is normal operation for a self exciting alternator. Ours starts charging once the engine hits around 1000 rpms or so.

Below is a picture of our alternator... the arrow points to the field/sense wire connection. On a self exciting unit, these are normally just capped off.

-cheers

Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Depending - the newer 160 Amp are only 2 wires and not 3 wires. Verify your alternator.

needs it,
When I went from 130 to 160 amp, i dropped the 3rd wire
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Depending - the newer 160 Amp are only 2 wires and not 3 wires. Verify your alternator.

needs it,
When I went from 130 to 160 amp, i dropped the 3rd wire
Yes... verify the alternator. On some models, you cannot differentiate between a 1 wire and 3 wire setup. The only real difference is the internal regulator, but the connections look the same.

I believe our alternator (in the picture) is the original 1 wire self exciting style - 22 years old. Even though the connections for the field and sense wires are there, they are simply not used.

-cheers
Old 07-31-2016, 08:33 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Thank you gentlemen for your comments and suggestions.The picture is exactly the same alternator that I have. From what I can gather it would seem my single small wire is the field/sense that plugs into the two prong position on the back of the alternator.
My heavy red wire goes to the middle terminal of the battery isolator which does not feed voltage to the alternator. This is why the single wire is used. I tested the diode on this wire and found it open/ not working. Will try to get a new diode on tuesday. report back then. British Columbia long weekend . Cheers.
Brian.

Cummins 6BT5.9
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
RE my electrical problems.
Decided to hook up the exciter wire minus the diode. Sure enough it now charged back to normal. On trying to shut down the engine it would not stop running.After searching around a now hot engine found the fuel shut down solenoid and disconnected the wiring that stopped it . Pulled the exciter wire off started engine. It now switched off at the key.
Now I know what the diode is for. Obtained a diode hooked up and all is well. Thank you gentlemen for all your help.
Cheers
Brian.

Cummins 6BT5.9
Old 08-06-2016, 04:28 AM   #9

Good deal!

Have fun.

-cheers
Old 08-06-2016, 04:49 AM   #10

Yep now you know, I at work did a lot of Delco conversions on heavy equipment and without the diode they won't shut down. Glad you conquered it.

Tags
electrical, ems, problems