Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Engine died after 15 seconds.

We were loading the the MH and decided to go get fuel. Cranked over and started engine when it stopped after a few seconds. Since I read every thread on this forum - I remembered that it must be a fuel problem.

Checked my site on the filter and the fuel was there a looked good. tried to run the key switch about 10 time to prime the pump but still nothing... Tour the bed apart to get to the engine. Now I was friggin frantic. opened the final filter and there was fuel ok. now with the filter out I could see if the lift pump would deliver fuel. Had the DW sit at the helm and asked her to turn the key on while I look in the filter bowl to see fuel pump into the filter input.

there I was perched on the engine and asked her to turn the key on. SHE did - all the way and crank the engine. I nearly ran a brown streak. Next I asked her to only turn the key to ignition position. she knows were that is and it was my fault for not being exact.

Well anyway - fuel did flow into the bowl and we ran that key a few more times to fill the bowl. I replaced the filter and put the cover back on loosely and ran the key one more time to fill the filter so fuel would squirt out a little and then final tightening of cover.

went up to and blessed myself before starting engine. She started normally so I put the cover back on the engine, pull down the bed, replaced the mattress and got fuel. We are on our way to Florida in the AM.

So I guess my story is just to say thanks to all the other members who have written comments or solution to this problem. All your intelligence sunk into my brain which made my day a lot better by allowing me to fix my problem.

still not sure why the filter lost prime. last time we ran the MH was September 1st.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Community Administrator

That's a nice story/ ending. Thanks for posting it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #3

Depending on the filter location, in relation to the lift pump, a loose filter may allow air into the fuel system rather that allowing fuel out.
Check that your fuel filters are tight , and any time your coach sits for more than a week, cycle the key on for 15 seconds a couple of times before starting.
My Cat has a manual prime pump and I use it any time the coach is parked , for more than a week, before starting.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Depending on the filter location, in relation to the lift pump, a loose filter may allow air into the fuel system rather that allowing fuel out.
Check that your fuel filters are tight , and any time your coach sits for more than a week, cycle the key on for 15 seconds a couple of times before starting.
My Cat has a manual prime pump and I use it any time the coach is parked , for more than a week, before starting.
Yep = checked all that too. figue it was possibly something in the check valve. I did find a small triangular shape piece of thick paper like a die cut from a filter or something in the bottom of the fuel bowl.

what ever it was we are turning record time to the home in FL. DW driving today after I put in 12 hours yesterday. Pulling the trailer with the car and harley gettinig 6.91 per mile at 70 mph.

lots of dead deer down here SC and Georgia. Best to only drive in daylight.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #5

Something you may want to look into; that I just read in another post.
Member reported that he had had his fuel tank vent, plug up with debris , and notice the tank was developing , vacuum in the tank , when he removed the fuel cap after driving. Contact your chassis manufacturer and inquire about tank venting , if you fuel tank is developing vacuum when it shouldn't , it could be drawing fuel back to the tank after shut down.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have accepted the fact that I have to prime the fuel lines before trying to start the rv. No air leaks just old seals. So every couple of weeks I push the priming button on the fuel filter to run the prime pump and do it for a 10 minutes or so, and then I fire it up. the lift pump then pulls the fuel enough to fill the lines.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote