Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

Engine died and won't start back up

We have a new RV built on a 2017 Freightliner M2-106 chassis - ISL9 and Allison TRV3200. We drove the coach home last night from the dealership (about 500 miles) and had no problems. Topped off the tanks about 2 - 3 hours before we got home. When backing the coach down the driveway and into it's final position, it suddenly died. There were no warning signs or symptoms...the engine simply shut off, and it hasn't started back yet. It will crank over all day long, but it will never actually start.

I don't have an ODB gauge to read any diagnostic codes, but the manual 'press the accelerator pedal to the floor three times' method produces a code sequence of 4691. Google search results suggest this might have do with low pressure detected at the fuel rail or injector.

I've checked everything I can think of - the chassis has good voltage from the batteries, every fuse I can find is in tact, the ECM seems to have good power as the gauge cluster works properly, and I can hear what I believe to be the lifter pump running for 30 - 45 seconds when I turn the key to the 'on' position.

I've disconnected the batteries to try to reset the ECM.

I've crawled under the coach and 'followed' all the feed and return lines from the tanks to the joining tee, from the tee to the filter/water separator, from from the filter to the pump, and from the engine back to return tee and back down to the tanks. I don't see any signs of fuel leaking from any of the lines, or from the fuel rail itself, and I think I can feel the fuel in the feed lines when the lifter pump is on.

Since it died so suddenly, I feel like it might be a safety switch/override issue that I'm missing. When we backed down the driveway, the wife hopped out to help me back to the edge of the concrete. I'm not sure if the Allison was in 'N' when she opened/closed the door or not, or if that even matters. Also, when the engine shut off, the Allison was definitely in 'R'. I switch it to 'N' afterwards, but I'm not sure if it actually made that transition or not.

Sorry for the super long post...I'm just trying to throw everything out there to see if it rings a bell to anyone.

Any advice, suggestions, etc would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm about out of ideas here, and the next step, unfortunately, is getting it towed to the Freightliner shop. Fortunately, this all happened in the driveway, and we are super grateful for that. This could have turned out way worse than it did.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

JT
fountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're here with problems .
Unless things have changed in the past few years , you wont find a standard OBD II connector as you would in your car or PU truck.
The code your getting may be the result of a plugged fuel filter , and unfortunately 2/3 hours of run time with bad fuel is enough to plug a diesel fuel filter up .
On a new coach , replacing the fuel filter is the ONLY DIY that I'd be comfortable with , beyond that let Freightliner handle any diagnostic or repairs.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try calling the Freightliner Customer Assistance Center. It is open every day all day long.
1-800-385-4357
1-800-FTL-HELP
Old 01-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just saw this might be a try

Most of the Cummins people would not even listen to me about the fault code, apparently it is not theirs and they do not feel it pertains to them. I finally got my service manager for my morning appointment to return a call a first and last occurrence, and got him to let me read the fault code to him. He paused for a minute and said he was familiar with the Cummins code and suggested I do the following: turn the key off wait a full minute, turn it on without cranking the coach, wait a full minute try to start it. If on the third try doing this it did not start call him. Third time kicked right over. Apparently operator error on our part, but seems there is a benefit to turning on the key waiting a minute and then starting the coach, or apparently that was the answer after we got it to Cummins.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies!

On another forum we were just discussing draining the filter/water separator to see if that helped any at all. I don't have a replacement filter, but I might be able to get one this afternoon from the local Freightliner dealer.

Regarding giving them a call, as I mentioned, I have a local service center about 10 miles from my house. I called them earlier this morning, and they asked me some cursory questions regarding fuel level and power to the ECM, but shop manager wouldn't do any 'over the phone' diagnostics. He said I'd have to have it towed in for them to look at it.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbZilla View Post
Just saw this might be a try

Most of the Cummins people would not even listen to me about the fault code, apparently it is not theirs and they do not feel it pertains to them. I finally got my service manager for my morning appointment to return a call a first and last occurrence, and got him to let me read the fault code to him. He paused for a minute and said he was familiar with the Cummins code and suggested I do the following: turn the key off wait a full minute, turn it on without cranking the coach, wait a full minute try to start it. If on the third try doing this it did not start call him. Third time kicked right over. Apparently operator error on our part, but seems there is a benefit to turning on the key waiting a minute and then starting the coach, or apparently that was the answer after we got it to Cummins.
I came across that this morning when doing some initial google searching. It seemed promising and almost exactly like what I am running into, but I could never get mine to 'kick over' like they describe.

Thanks for posting that, though!
Old 01-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No problem it does sound like a fuel filter issue though. I would try that first remember there are two. I have the same engine on my 2018. It also could be the fuel stop solenoid or a half dozen other things. But start with filters and go from there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you ever get it figured out???

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbZilla View Post
Did you ever get it figured out???
Yes...I apologize for not coming back to close the loop on this one.

Ended up having to the coach towed to the Freightliner service center. They read the codes, followed the Cummins troubleshooting steps, and after a day or so ended up finding a hole in the fuel line coming from the passenger side saddle tank. Running up from the tank to the top of the transmission, that line crosses right under the exhaust. It is wrapped in heat shield, but apparently it wasn't enough, it wasn't wrapped correctly, and/or it wasn't securely tied down below the exhaust.

Long story short, one or all of those issues caused the line to come into contact with the exhaust and develop a hole through which air began to be sucked into the system. Immediately afterwards, the pump lost prime and was never able to regain it. They replaced the line, wrapped it with a ton of heat shield material, rerouted it slightly, and tied it back in several places to make sure it wouldn't happen again.

Simple problem, and simple fix. Pretty excited about that as it could have been way worse. Just wish I could have found it before having to throw in the towel and getting it towed.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
JT
Old 02-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow that is something else. Since the coach was so new I would go with that it wasn’t secured properly for it to chafe through so soon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
engine