Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Engine just kicks down to half power 400ISL

I'll be climbing fine, HP is up to 380 HP, and then the engine suddenly drops down to 160 HP and simultaneously down shifts. It was going 65 and now i'm down to 40 and the engine is not willing to pour on the coal. I have checked the silverleaf box and it shows the Horsepower. I don't see a fault light. Once there is a reduction in the power requirement, the engine will pick back up the power and get rolling.
This not simply an under-power problem. I went over these same hills the day before with only a little slow down but the HP remained 360-380.
There must be some signal demanding the power be cut. What could that be?
wsmcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

Do you see Allison temperature? When the Allison temperature goes over a preset limit, the TCM reduces engine torque to the transmission. The TCM and ECM "talk" to each other to reduce the chance of engine and/or transmission damage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We had a coolant sensor cable connection go bad, and it would drop to half power.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

Thanks for that info. I will try and find something to give me the transmission temperature. I guess there are a million reason it could get high but probably the number one would be some kind of blockage of the transmission cooler air flow? Low on transmission fluid? What do you think?
Old 06-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #5

Right, so it thought it was hot but it was not?
Old 06-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #6

The ISL has an Engine Protection Mode - different parameters can be set in the ECM to put the engine into a derate mode. Here is an excerpt from my ISL CM850. It may help understand some of the parameters that are available for monitor and engine derate.

Unfortunately, a tech with the Insite program is the only way to get into your ECM program and see all the settings configured for your specific coach. I have a printout of my coach ECM settings when I upgraded to a new flash at Cummins. Cant find it right now but I'll try to remember to look and see what my coach has for derate settings.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine Protection islcm850 ECM.pdf (81.7 KB, 74 views)
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmcycle View Post
Thanks for that info. I will try and find something to give me the transmission temperature. I guess there are a million reason it could get high but probably the number one would be some kind of blockage of the transmission cooler air flow? Low on transmission fluid? What do you think?
Of course we all know AT fluid level must be checked when at operating temp. The Allison touch pad has 2 arrows, press both simultaneously with transmission in neutral, and it will display fluid level, much easier than pulling the dip-stick with a hot engine. This pdf explains in detail.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 06-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #8

Brian Glenn
The manual was very good information
Thanks
Old 06-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #9

I have considered your many responses. I have a transmission error code 2214. according to the manual, this points to an engine speed sensor. MY logic tells me if the sensor is bad or has a bad connection, the error would occur constantly and i would constantly be in a condition of "engine deration". I do not have constant deration. I only have the problem when asking for as much power as I can safely have to get over a steep climb. I am using cruise and that should (i think) safely control all of the aspects.
I have observed that I am more likely (often) to fall into deration mode if i have driven hundreds of miles than I would in the first 100 miles.
The error is an "engine speed sensor". What is this engine speed sensor being compared to? Perhaps the output transmission speed is not correctly proportional to the input transmission speed and the the ECM is correct in derating the engine power. What might cause this disproportionate speed?
Old 07-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #10

An excellent Cummins resource is: quickserve.cummins.com.
You must sign up for the website, which is a wealth of information. Keep in mind, error codes mostly point to a generalized area which may be the error cause, not an exact item to repair/replace.https://mypowermanual.com/shop/cummi...system-manual/
For instance, if the sensor plug is a bit dirty and/or loose, heat from extended operation might cause the plug to lose a solid connection, which can manifest itself in a speed sensor error code.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #11

Thanks Ray
I will go to the Web site. The error code is from the Allison transmission. I am trying to figure out a way get up under the engine.

Sent from my SM-T700 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #12

I drove up some mountains yesterday to check the transmission temp on the silver leaf. It got to 207 and after that it stayed about 200.

Sent from my SM-T700 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #13

The problem is solved! It was the air filter. The little "filter minder" said it was good but it was horrible! I can't believe the power I have now. I bought it used and didn't know what to expect of its power.
THIS is beyond great!
I foolishly believed the "filter minder". The air filter was beyond horrible. It was totally [moderator edit]!
thanks to all for your help.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmcycle View Post
The problem is solved! It was the air filter. The little "filter minder" said it was good but it was horrible! I can't believe the power I have now. I bought it used and didn't know what to expect of its power.
THIS is beyond great!
I foolishly believed the "filter minder". The air filter was beyond horrible. It was totally [moderator edit]!
thanks to all for your help.
There are instructions for disassembling and cleaning the filterminder and restoring function.

Tags
power, engine