Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Engine servicing

I want a little sage input from the audience!
We had our ISC 350 serviced two and a half years ago and put about 4000 miles on it. Health issues then parked us until now. We are about to head out again and my question is this. Should I have it serviced again before we leave or should I put some more miles on it and then have it done?
Thanks in advance for the advice.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRuth View Post
I want a little sage input from the audience!
We had our ISC 350 serviced two and a half years ago and put about 4000 miles on it. Health issues then parked us until now. We are about to head out again and my question is this. Should I have it serviced again before we leave or should I put some more miles on it and then have it done?
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Get it serviced first, change ALL the fluids, especially the brake fluid. Time is not friendly to fluids, condensation is your worst enemy to any vehicle. Also have the fuel system checked thoroughly, fuel also does not age well and water in the system will really screw things up. Ours, which is gas, had sat for 5 years, and there was varnish from one end to the other.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #3

My biggest concern would be the fuel. 2.5 year old diesel is probably more of a future problem than 2.5 year old oil and coolant.

If it was me.....I'd....
1. Drain the fuel and clean it and put in biocide/fungus treatment. Or sell it to a someone who uses fuel like that then put in fresh fuel and biocide/fungus treatment.
2. Drive it only far enough to get an oil change and lube.
3. Replace the fuel filter, oil filter and water filter.
4. Replace the coolant.
5. Change the air filter. Even though it is probably is ok, the current thinking is that the glue breaks down and then the filter material lets go into the turbine. Worse if it got wet while sitting.
6. Change the air compressor desiccant.
7. Check the air tanks for water.
8. Check the tires for cracks and air pressure.
9. Buy spare fuel filters. Probably going to need 2.
10. Do #'s 3, 4, 5 and 10 for the generator.

I'm sure others have suggestions, but this is where I would start.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #4

Probably my biggest concern would also be the fuel if it hadn't been treated. And even if it had been treated I'd worry about it. Replacing ALL the filters, and carrying spares is good advice.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #5

Yep, why take a chance? Heck of away to ruin a trip, is with mechanical problems along the way.

Get it serviced. If the fuel tank was full, and you live in a non humid part of the country, you may be lucky on the fuel.

Good input on the generator too. Suspect you have air brakes, so the brake fluid is probably not a concern for you (But if you are on a FRED, or an Alpine DP - yep, change the brake fluid.)

And as mentioned too, sitting around that long can be very hard on tires. Look them over very closely, and if they're getting close to the 7 year age, might be a good time to swap them out a bit early.

Some coin going out of the pocket, but it's on your schedule and on your turf - not the side of the rode while on a trip!

Best, and have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the input...
I will mention however, that my Fearless Leader informed me that this was not a subject for debate and that we would be stopping at Colton Truck Terminal on our way out of town because she was making the appointment!
The key to a successful marriage is learning to say "Yes Dear" early on....
Old 08-31-2014, 07:55 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRuth View Post
Thanks for the input...
I will mention however, that my Fearless Leader informed me that this was not a subject for debate and that we would be stopping at Colton Truck Terminal on our way out of town because she was making the appointment!
The key to a successful marriage is learning to say "Yes Dear" early on....
What services are going to be done a Colton?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Dean:
Good question, and at this point I do not know the answer...
When we bought this rig, National referred me to Country Coach to answer a chassis question, because it is on a Dynomax chassis.
During the conversation, I asked the CC rep for a recommendation to have it serviced in SoCal. He replied that the best independent chassis service facility in the Country was Colton Truck Terminal...
They are the only facility that has worked on it since we bought it. We roll in, they look at our mileage and their records and I have them do everything they recommend. We have yet to meet any staff member who isn't friendly and helpful. If you want to watch, look and ask questions, no problem.
We bought our current tires thru them. While we were there for service the Tire Guy showed up and changed them out! And the price was excellent to boot!
You can consider this a plug for CTT!!!!