Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Engine upgrade

What is a cummins epa engine upgrade.I am seeing this on an invoice for a Monaco 40 pdq diplomat .Started out as a 330hp turbo ?What am i not seeing.Does this put more stress,on engine? They now call this a 400hp?turbo.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #2

A little more info would be a help.
Year of the coach ? Engine type ? ISB, ISC, ISL?
But if the upgrade was performed by Cummins, & meets EPA standards.
Cummins would not crank more power out of an engine if they figured it couldn't handle it.
Real question. Will the transmission handle the added power ?
Allison 3000 series ? or 3060 ? 4000 ?
Different years carried different max torque ratings.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Its a 2004 monaco pdq diplomat.The invoice i have says its a roadmaster chassis cummins ISC 330 hp turbo with the allison 6 sp 3000mh electronic transmission. They charged to original owner $1800. for a epa engine upgrade. The owner is traveling and i can not get ahold of him,but he said last week this is a 400hp.
I am all new to this so you see why i am confused. If i get this coach just want to make sore what i am getting. I have a lot to learn,i look forward to learning .
I have learned a whole lot from the experience of the people on this for forum.
Thanks so much for your help.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Found a little more info on that engine.
L6, 8.3L, 504 CID.Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
Found a little more info on that engine.
L6, 8.3L, 504 CID.Hope this helps.
Try calling Cummins tomorrow and asking them. I hope you can get a straight answer. Very interested to hear what you find out since I have the same engine. I have not ever heard of an ISC being rated at 400 HP from Cummins except for marine applications.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
What is a cummins epa engine upgrade.I am seeing this on an invoice for a Monaco 40 pdq diplomat .Started out as a 330hp turbo ?What am i not seeing.Does this put more stress,on engine? They now call this a 400hp?turbo.
I would consider this to be a 330/950 ISC until Cummins hooked it up to their computer & declared something different. The highest hp rating the ISC has ever carried from Cummins is the current SCR equipped engine of 380 hp. The SCR engines were turned up a little bit due to a reduced EGR program. At 330 you are still coming in at 1 hp per 100 lbs of weight.

The Allison 3000 was used extensively with the Cummins ISL which carried hp ratings over 400hp for years. You're in great shape.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
I just found thread on rv.net about this exact same thing on Monaco. Sorry i don't know how to link to it. The thread comes up with it is the upgrade to 350Hp and 1050 torque. It was so expensive because the engine was still in warranty.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I will talk to cummins.Also a week from monday we will be flying out there.Taking to a cummins shop to put on computer and to a monaco dealer for a pre buy check.
I will let everyone know what i find out.
The owner is going to call me to day he said he was a diesel mechanic for years so maybe he can answer my question?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #9

We had a 330 Cummins in our last MH, 2003 Endeavor, and I do not think that you will be disappointed with the engine. We had few issues with ours, other then a non-copper radiator. We did have the radiator replaced with a copper radiator when the factory installed radiator failed. Even pulling 4500lbs of 'toys' the engine performed very well.
Good luck on getting this one!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #10

Looking forward to what you find out. ISC's are solid engines. Banks had a kit that worked very well on them. If the owner was/is a mechanic, he could have altered mire then what Monaco did as an upgrade, to get it to the 400 mark.

When having checked out, suggest oil/trans samples, and full dyno test if the shop has one.

Travel safe, and best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote