Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #1

Engine Whine

My '00 Dutch Star w/ISC 8.3 developed a whine(only way I can explain it),especially at low speeds(pretty loud). Seems to be not as loud as it goes through the gears til I reach 6th,then not so loud. The power also seems to have dropped. And when going onto different gears(mainly upshifting) it's really hitting them hard. Any thoughts??
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #2

Does it whine if in neutral? If so, is the whine varying with the rpm while in neutral? Or does it only make this sound when in gear and moving forward? Can you get it somewhere open/obstructed to run it in reverse? .. and does it make the same sound in reverse? Im trying to determine if it's axle/ring & pinion whine or transmission whine or engine whine... perhaps even a turbo whine.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #3

No whine in neutral,or in reverse. But pretty damn loud when I accelerate from a stop. And as I said the noise seems to be not as loud as I get up to 6th. But also feels like less power.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #4

Well we can assume it's not the engine internals then. When you are driving does the whine vary greatly with engine speed or is it related to coach speed? Trying to determine if its the turbocharger or not.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #5

I'm pretty convinced my turbo is heading south. Have an appointment for wed. with a certified cummins dealer in Scarborough,Me. Wish me luck.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #6

So it was varying with engine speed vs coach speed.... Im assuming (you didn't answer). Well best of luck and keep us informed!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #7

Yes sorry. The whine does vary by engine rpms.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #8

Angry

Ok, found a diesel mechanic to come out and check the coach. That's the good news. The bad...he couldn't find anything wrong with any of the hoses or clamps, or the turbo. We took it out on the hiway and it never made a sound. It ran like a race horse. I hate intermittant problems. Now I'll be worrying about this everytime we hit the road.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #9

hello, i just notice this whine on my 2007 lapalma xl diesel going to vancouver bc. when i step on the pedal and the boost is going and then i release it or when it shift i hear that whine noise and its not the whistle that you usually hear its more like a pressure being release or some thing im hoping its not my turbocharger thats going bad.
lapalma-xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #10

My son who is a diesel mechanic had to replace exhaust header, broken bolts and gaskets. Job was done very good i thought. Took on a trip and the whine as you described drove me nuts. I replace belts water pump to no avail still whining. Got home son said probably loose bolt on clamp or broken. Within two minutes found hose clamp loose. All my work for nothing. Hope this helps. Also look for cracks in hoses.
kenenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #11

I had a similar situation. After a while I discovered that it would only sound if the turbo bust was over 20 pounds. Finally discovered that one of the hose P-clamps at the intake manifold was broken. If your mech was looking at low boost pressure he wouldn't hear anything.

Good Luck Darrel
Old 09-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #12

Just came back from the Cummins shop as my 2005 ISL 400 developed a loud whine/high pitch scream at low speed/high load. The good news as it turns out, it's an exhaust leak at 2 cylinders. The better news is that it's covered by the Cummins warranty. The puzzling/concerning fact is that the RV has only 50,000 miles.......
Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote