Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #1

ES Compleat OAT Coolant with '97 C8.3 Mechanical?

Happy New Year from Lake Conroe, Texas. I am thinking about switching from NAPA brand green ethyl glycol coolant requiring supplemental coolant additive to Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT coolant in my 1997 purely mechanical Cummins C8.3 engine / 1997 American Eagle, yet know no one who has done it. I am the second owner of my coach and am not sure about making the switch this late in the game. My concern would be developing leaks after changing what has always been used. I have had no cooling problems and my current mileage is 75,000 - I have changed it twice since acquiring it and have never observed any rust, etc. Wondering if I should just leave well enough alone or make the switch. I am not due for a change until this summer. I currently change it every other year. Any experiences would be appreciated. THANK YOU, Jeff
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #2

On our 04 Essex when new Spartan put the long lasting Coolant which if I remember right was orange OAT coolant which wasn't correct for the low coolant sensor so the low coolant light keep coming on. They had to flush the cooling system and put in regular HD diesel coolant to make the low coolant sensor work correctly. May not be a problem with mechanical 8.3.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you should decide to change, let me know. My offer in the following thread still stands:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/flee...le-186276.html
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Happy New Year from Lake Conroe, Texas. I am thinking about switching from NAPA brand green ethyl glycol coolant requiring supplemental coolant additive to Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT coolant in my 1997 purely mechanical Cummins C8.3 engine / 1997 American Eagle, yet know no one who has done it. I am the second owner of my coach and am not sure about making the switch this late in the game. My concern would be developing leaks after changing what has always been used. I have had no cooling problems and my current mileage is 75,000 - I have changed it twice since acquiring it and have never observed any rust, etc. Wondering if I should just leave well enough alone or make the switch. I am not due for a change until this summer. I currently change it every other year. Any experiences would be appreciated. THANK YOU, Jeff
Jeff,

You said it best. You are having no problems with the NAPA coolant and use of supplemental coolant additives. Switching to ES Compleat OAT introduces new and not exciting changes. One, you cannot test for the presence of the organic acid content. Two, you cannot even get a reasonable idea of the coolant freeze point whether you use a refractometer and certainly not with a hydrometer. See another post I made on this forum earlier this evening on testing freeze point of OAT coolants.

ES Compleat OAT will protect the engine but you must trust that it is working as there is no real test for the organic acid content. Fleetguard does market a test kit for it. I helped develop that kit but it does not function like their standard test kit, CC2602. There is no reliable laboratory test for that coolant as coolant labs do not know the content of that coolant or the other nitrite-free OAT coolants. Only Shell Lubricants that markets their nitrite-free OAT, Shell Ultra, have a test kit of some sort. I have no experience with it. Testing for organic acid content is difficult enough with laboratory equipment.

On the plus side for ES Compleat OAT will never need an SCA and will only need replenishment of the OAT inhibitors at 300,000 miles. You must be certain to refill with only that coolant. Refilling with other similar nitrite-free OAT coolants will not assure you that you are restoring the protection. There are no field studies as of January 2012 (my retirement date) that showed mixing of these coolants provides the same protection.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #5

Thank you for your replies... I will leave well enough alone!
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote