Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #15

Thanks so much, macandphyl. I certainly didn't go over that--not really even that close. It's funny, that's a number I've been looking for and couldn't find. I finally called Cummins and the person helping me gave me (after a long search) 3300 rpm, which I couldn't believe was accurate--my tach doesn't even go that high. But I left it at that. Might call them back, though.

The real lesson is that I was slow with my foot. That I can fix.
MTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 11:22 PM   #16

My 6.7 B series Cummins has a normal red line range at 2600-2800 rpm. On downhill exhaust brake usage I will see as high as 3200-3250 at which time it will shift up a gear, like it or not. I will not let it get that high normally and have only experienced it happening once in the three years plus of usage. Seeing these higher numbers when the coach was new, I checked with several Cummins CSR folks at different times and was explained to me that my engine will actually go to 4200 rpm for a period of 13-15 seconds, at which time exceptionally bad things happen. This goes to show you that these engines will take a lot more rpm than what we will normally see in our usage even if we tried. Just my $.02.
Happy travels all.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:18 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
My 2006 Cummins ISL400 engine is governed at 2000 RPM when on the accelerator pedal.

Coming down a hill with no throttle, if I gain too much speed in any of the gears, it will upshift to next gear at 2650 RPM.

As you approach 2500 RPM's, stab the service brakes a short time to slow you down a bit. Let the RPM climb and repeat.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:32 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
If you were to overspeed, the ECM would prevent you from re-starting, after you shut it down.
Your Service service light would be on. You can call cummins to verify this.
AND while you are online, asked THEM what are your engine limits.
WOT no Load, WOT w Load
Temperature Limit, ETC.

You can also call your Chassis manufacture too, as they have all of this info.
By the way, this is my first line and second line of knowledge as they ARE the experts.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #19

Does the OP have an exhaust or engine brake? No mention of that in the speed reduction dilemma.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSteve View Post
"Downhill is another story, you should do everything
in your power to never go above 2600 rpm on an ISL."

Governed speed for my engine is 2100/2200 rpm. So shouldn't I not exceed that, in all cases? (In the future I sure won't.) Or are you saying "in reality" I don't have to really worry about damage until 2600 or so?

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I really appreciate the help and the insight.
You should have received a Cummins engine user manual with your MH. It has a section explaining in detail how this all works. Some of the replies do not coincide with my Cummins engine manual, several are almost verbatim. IF everything is operating as it should, overspeeding your engine is not likely.
I will say, it's not a good feeling (pucker factor exponential) when descending a steep grade and the TCM commands an upshift to protect the engine from overspeeding the first time you have the experience. Sure taught me to pay close attention.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #21

Just have your mechanic check you EMC for an overspeed code. I don't remember if it stores the amount and duration of overspeed.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
If there was a over speed code, you would not be able to start
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote