Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Exhaust Brake

Anyone know how much back pressure the exhaust brake in a ISC can cause? I know it depends on RPM so lets assume red line
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #2

Here is some reading for ya........

https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/diesel_exh_pres.php

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Here is some reading for ya........

https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/diesel_exh_pres.php
Not sure that article has much bearing on the OP's original question.

To the OP, do you mean restriction with the butterfly open or closed? im going to assume Open? Closed would not be an issue.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #4

Sorry, I meant to attach this doc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PacBrake.pdf (838.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 12-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

Looking at the Jacobs FAQ's, they don't mention restriction at all. Can't say for certain but IMO, I don't believe it would make any measurable difference given its proximity to the turbo Outlet.

https://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.com...-support/faqs/
Old 12-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Don, I know that PacBrake uses 60 psi on Cummins ISC & ISL engines. They have an port on the side of the exhaust brake that can be used to verify back pressure with a gauge.
Earlier models were adjustable, but since at least since 2008, they are set from factory with no field adjustment available.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #7

Harry,
The 60 you mention is pretty close to the 55 max that I have been told. I am having some blow which is throwing oil on the rear of the coach. Excessive back pressure from the exhaust brake will cause this.

To the others that supplied reading material, thanks
Old 12-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Harry,
The 60 you mention is pretty close to the 55 max that I have been told. I am having some blow which is throwing oil on the rear of the coach. Excessive back pressure from the exhaust brake will cause this.

Overfilling the crankcase will have this result also. I keep mine about 1/4" to 1/2" below the full mark. Any more and blows out the breather tube.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Overfilling the crankcase will have this result also. I keep mine about 1/4" to 1/2" below the full mark. Any more and blows out the breather tube.
This is where my oil level is. Thinking about going lower but it was suggested to check the back pressure on the exhaust brake
Old 12-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #10

I had problems with the turbo brake on my 2008. Haven’t used it since, my Allison tranny slows me pretty good though.
PGCI2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
is it an exhaust brake or an engine brake ?

Mine has an Engine brake, but the manual calls it an Exhaust brake too:
Exhaust Brake
The exhaust brake is designed to supplement the standard wheel braking system. It s not designed to bring the motorhome to a complete stop. Use of the exhaust brake can extend service life of brake linings. The exhaust brake switch (located on the driver’s console) activates the auxiliary brake integrated in the variable geometry turbocharger.
To Engage the Exhaust Brake:
Turn on exhaust brake switch and release the throttle to the idle position.

When the auxiliary brake is activated, the variable geometry turbocharger will restrict exhaust gases causing increased back-pressure within the engine. Increased back-pressure slows the speed of the engine resulting in braking action. The amount of engine braking power developed is relative to engine speed (RPM).
When the auxiliary brake is activated going down a hill, it will help control road speed or sufficiently slow the road speed until the transmission can automatically downshift to the next lower gear. Downshifting automatically occurs from high gear down to second gear.
Certain road conditions and engine speeds may require the transmission be manually shifted down in order to generate adequate engine RPM and increase the engine brake effect.
NOTE:
The brake lights will illuminate while the exhaust brake is applied.
caution:
Activating the exhaust brake switch does not cancel cruise control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Brake.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	186165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine brake.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	186166  

Old 12-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Harry,

How does the back pressure that is caused by the exhaust brake cause engine blow by out of the breather when the combustion pressures are much higher and my not cause any blow by? I installed a Pacbrake and was actually concerned more with the turbo seals until I called up tech support at Pacbrake. However, I do wish that the pressure relief setting was adjustable as I personally think 60 psi is a tad too high.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:46 AM   #13

There will be more pressure in the exhaust ports when the exhaust brake is on. That pressure could push past the exhaust valve guides, increasing crankcase pressure.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
is it an exhaust brake or an engine brake ?

Mine has an Engine brake, but the manual calls it an Exhaust brake too:
Exhaust Brake
The exhaust brake is designed to supplement the standard wheel braking system. It s not designed to bring the motorhome to a complete stop. Use of the exhaust brake can extend service life of brake linings. The exhaust brake switch (located on the driver’s console) activates the auxiliary brake integrated in the variable geometry turbocharger.
To Engage the Exhaust Brake:
Turn on exhaust brake switch and release the throttle to the idle position.

When the auxiliary brake is activated, the variable geometry turbocharger will restrict exhaust gases causing increased back-pressure within the engine. Increased back-pressure slows the speed of the engine resulting in braking action. The amount of engine braking power developed is relative to engine speed (RPM).
When the auxiliary brake is activated going down a hill, it will help control road speed or sufficiently slow the road speed until the transmission can automatically downshift to the next lower gear. Downshifting automatically occurs from high gear down to second gear.
Certain road conditions and engine speeds may require the transmission be manually shifted down in order to generate adequate engine RPM and increase the engine brake effect.
NOTE:
The brake lights will illuminate while the exhaust brake is applied.
caution:
Activating the exhaust brake switch does not cancel cruise control.
That's a VGT exhaust brake you've got. Switch is wrong.

Tags
brake