Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #15

Steve, gear lowers to #2, 2005 400hp ISL
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #16

>"When the throttle is closed, as it must be for the exhaust brake to operate, there is no boost with an exhaust brake."

>"This cannot happen with a closed throttle."

There is no throttle in a diesel.
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburian View Post
I agree with everyone's responses, but what would cause the rpm,s to not increase when the gears are reducing.
RPM is relative to road speed, as coach slows down, rpms decrease till transmission pcm drops to lower gear, coach slows more, trans downshift and cycle starts over.... exhaust brake on or off don't matter

..... exhaust brake like a garden hose, I can put my thumb over hose and stop/restrict flow but pressure builds to what ever hose psi is.....

The exhaust brake has a "blade" that like your thumb, stops the flow of exhaust, this creates back pressure relative to piston cylinder pressure on strokes of engine that causes engine to slow rapidly....and as that rpm gets to a programed number, the transmission will down shift....

Any this help?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
>"When the throttle is closed, as it must be for the exhaust brake to operate, there is no boost with an exhaust brake."

>"This cannot happen with a closed throttle."

There is no throttle in a diesel.
Not to get overly Technical, but modern engines have a TPS, Throttle position sensor, now I get where your coming from but I think the thought is the foot feed is now the "Throttle"..... Lol
Old 07-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #19

Could the ECM be calibrated to increase the RPMs at lower gears ?
Old 07-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #20

Quote:
I agree with everyone's responses, but what would cause the rpm,s to not increase when the gears are reducing.

They must increase. I believe you have an Aladdin system so you should be watching that screen as it's much more accurate than the dash gauges.

Here is a typical exhaust brake scenario. You are traveling at approx 60 mph in 6th gear and start down a fairly long 5-6% grade. You have the exhaust brake switch on so you lift your throttle foot. The brake activate and selects 2nd gear. At 60 you will probably see a downshift to 5th. 5th gear at under 2000 rpm won't generate much braking power so if the grade is steep enough and your speed starts creeping up, you may have to stab your service brake for 5 sec or so which will drop you speed & rpm enough to get into 4th gear. At this point, with rpm up over 2000 in 4th gear and speed around 45-48 your exhaust brake should be slowly dropping your speed. If you are decreasing speed too fast, you can toggle the brake off & then back on when your speed increase a few mph. Remember, just because the Allison is showing 2nd gear selected, it will only downshift when road speed is low enough to downshift a gear without over revving the engine. I'm guessing that the ISL will allow closed throttle rpm of 24-2500 before an up shift. That also means that your exhaust brake will be most effective up at 22-2400 rpm.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Could the ECM be calibrated to increase the RPMs at lower gears ?
Perhaps, but you also have a PCM, powertrain control module, more than likely that's where the shift points are, but I don't think it could be this big a deal....plus fuel mileage might suffer, possible engine over speed.

Cummins and Allison put a lot of engineering in this, pacbrak is kinda a add on component that "aids" in braking.
I'm not one to mess around with programmers, shift kits and most performance parts...but to each his own, I can respect it....
Old 07-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #22

>"... but modern engines have a TPS."

Probably a better term is 'Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor'. (APPS)
Modern computer-injected Diesel engines... that's about the only input you've got!
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #23

I have not tried shifting to First Gear, to see if RPM,S increase, is it ok to go use first gear on Streep grades,
Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
>"... but modern engines have a TPS."

Probably a better term is 'Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor'. (APPS)
Modern computer-injected Diesel engines... that's about the only input you've got!
My old C8.3 mechanical has a TPS that I just had to replace - codes said it was bad. Pricey little pups.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When in Florida you won't find any hills Unless you go up to Tampa where they have the Florida Mountains (very high overpasses). When I travel in PA hilly areas I have to use 1st to help hold back the MH on very steep back roads.

I can't imagine the engine NEVER increases in rpm when downshifting unless the pac is not closing completely. I mean that when that suck closes it creates a lot of back pressure.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #26

OK "dumb" question here but was kinda thinking the ISL[400] had a true compression brake [Jake] while the ISC [350] had the pac-brake???? Was the pac also an option on the ISL?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
OK "dumb" question here but was kinda thinking the ISL[400] had a true compression brake [Jake] while the ISC [350] had the pac-brake???? Was the pac also an option

The ISL could be equipped with either. Some coach builders used the Jake vs exhaust brake as a feature difference between models.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #28

Some ISL 400 have PAC while others Jake, depends on the Rv Brand and model.

Tags
brake