Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Exhaust gas temp probe

So I got a gauge and sensor but now I am wondering where should I drill the hole to fit the sensor for the EGT????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manafold0.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	139113  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

See attached from the Banks installation manual. Unless you plan to remove the manifold, make sure you use Extreme Caution to remove all metal particles during the drilling/tapping process or you will be replacing the turbocharger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	139119  

Old 09-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As dennis said, use caution.. Some ways to minimize thread cuttings include - applying a vacuum to the tap as it is being used. Keeping heavy weight grease on the tap threads to pickup all cuttings.

There is also the possibility that the backing nut on the thermocouple could come off and enter the turbo.

You know what they say - No guts no glory..

I personally am a low glory individual at least as far as installing thermocouples (on vehicle) before the snail goes.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
As dennis said, use caution.. Some ways to minimize thread cuttings include - applying a vacuum to the tap as it is being used. Keeping heavy weight grease on the tap threads to pickup all cuttings.

There is also the possibility that the backing nut on the thermocouple could come off and enter the turbo.

You know what they say - No guts no glory..

I personally am a low glory individual at least as far as installing thermocouples (on vehicle) before the snail goes.

Agree, I installed mine when I replaced the cracked manifold and installed the Banks Powerpak. I'd be real Leary of doing with the manifold on because you just never know for sure. Also, the location is not really accessible to get an accurate drill & tap.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I have read somewhere that you can drill the hole with the engine running. The pressure of the exhaust is supposed to force any debris out as opposed to allowing it to fall into the manifold. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
I have read somewhere that you can drill the hole with the engine running. The pressure of the exhaust is supposed to force any debris out as opposed to allowing it to fall into the manifold. I hope this helps.
That is how I did my Duramax. Need to be prepared to get job done. Because it does not take long for manifold to get hot.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I thank you for the info. What of the alternative locations.

I have read and watched many many install notes. Many have written never to drill with the engine running because the hole gets smaller has it heats up and some say if the bit brakes it will be eaten by the turbo. Others say never to use grease as the fine particles can not be retrieved if held in place inside the manifold by the grease.

There is no backing nut in my installation. Some use a magnet to magnetize the drills and tap. some use a vacuum. One guy said to run the vacuum backwards up the tail pipe. That really scares me as it may blow chips up into the manifold.

There are so many conflicting recommendations that I am leaning toward removal of the turbo.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #8

My exhaust manifold is cracked so I plan on doing the installation on the new one before it goes in.

The kits always come with a weld on bung for attaching after the turbo. A local says Peterbuilts have two EGT's, one before and one after, and the after reads hotter. He does a lot of pickups and likes the after better, I suspect because it's easier on him a couple of different ways.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
My exhaust manifold is cracked so I plan on doing the installation on the new one before it goes in.

The kits always come with a weld on bung for attaching after the turbo. A local says Peterbuilts have two EGT's, one before and one after, and the after reads hotter. He does a lot of pickups and likes the after better, I suspect because it's easier on him a couple of different ways.

Correction, Pre-Turbo is hotter than Post-Turbo.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #10

When I drilled my ISB for pyrometer I found a flexible magnet at my local hardware store. After I drilled it I kept running the magnet in and all around. It was a small Magne on about an 18" flexible rod. First few times I got a few small shavings out. After those I got very little out. I did use my shop vacuum while drilling to suck as much up as I could. I was very concerned beforehand about getting shavings in there but turned out to not be very bad.

Chad
Old 09-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Correction, Pre-Turbo is hotter than Post-Turbo.
Yeah, im kind of perplexed on that myself. Never heard that before
Old 09-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
Yeah, im kind of perplexed on that myself. Never heard that before
In simple terms,
The Turbocharger uses heat energy off the exhaust to spin the compressor and thus push air into the intake. The remaining exhaust is expelled out into the exhaust system, less the heat energy used to drive the turbocharger.
So, the temperature going Into the Turbo is higher than the temperature on the outlet side.
The most accurate location to read exhaust temperature is before it goes into the turbo. The downside is if the probe should fail, it takes the turbo out.
The location shown in the Banks manual is where the exhaust is hottest and, the manifold casting is substantial enough to support the probe and fittings.

The easiest location of course is on the top side but here you have a curved surface and not a lot of material to support the fitting. Lots of EGTs are installed this way but IMHO, it is a poor choice of location.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #13

On my 5.9L I drilled hole in the rear exhaust port (as show in Banks diagram)

I used a vacuum cleaner and engine running. No problems/issues.

This Nov will be 10 yrs.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
;-)
Yep, I mean I didn't understand why he thought post turbo readings were higher.

Tags
gas