RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

Exhaust manifold cracked 8.3 how long is it safe to use.

2001 monaco windsor 40pwd

smballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #2

Not at all! Exhaust gasses leaking into the house could be deadly. Get it fixed or park it until you can aford to.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #3

I understand from a safety stand point I do have a new co detector in unit . Thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It will cause EGTs to run high bc you wont be making boost at the power level it should. If your pulling a load or going uphill it could hurt something very quickly depending on the extent of the air being released.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #5

It's very minor at this timeI found doing svc yesterday it still makes 21 pounds of boost. Thanks for the help
Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smballou View Post
It's very minor at this timeI found doing svc yesterday it still makes 21 pounds of boost. Thanks for the help
More restriction will cause higher exhaust temps. and lower boost, as the engine has to work harder to over come the exhaust restriction. A exhaust leak will not, if anything it would lower the temps. and boost would rise...........

https://www.dieselnet.com//tech/diesel_exh_pres.php

A crack will not affect the temps/boost.............just a little exhaust gas coming out and it will show up as black soot where ever it hits. In time it might open up, but most likely the crack is from stress, and it is now relieved.......but yes, you need to replace it and watch it till repaired.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Exhaust manifold cracked 8.3 how long is it safe to use.

This will sound crazy, but it's true. Found a 1" crack in my exhaust manifold 4months after purchase (second) owner. Sad! But used a trick from a past life to attempt a repair. First ground a slight relief groove in the crack itself. Drilled relief spots at each end of the crack. Cleaned area with acetone after sanding area. Using a product called Pyro Putty spread it over and into the crack. Pushed down hard to get penetration as far as possible. Wrapped a piece of metal shim material (preformed to match manifold circumference) over putty. Held metal in place with hi-temp metal tape. Wrapped whole spot with high temp header tape also coated with Pyro Putty. Then using a wide hose clamp around the repair, squeezed it tight. Not overly tight but snug. Using heat gun will speed process, or let set for at least 72hrs. That was 2.5 yrs, and 12,345 miles ago. No leak and boost is at 24.3. All this only works if crack is accessible with out removing manifold of course. See told you it would sound crazy. Background in Submarines and heavy mining equipment, so had previous experience in this jury rigging trick. As coal miner grandfather said. Poor people have poor ways. Doesn't mean they won't work. P.S.- free advice is worth what you paid for it!! ;-)
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Not at all! Exhaust gasses leaking into the house could be deadly. Get it fixed or park it until you can aford to.

It's a diesel, essentially NO carbon monoxide to worry about. Not deadly, but may smell a bit of diesel.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #9

JB weld works wonders on this sort of thing. Used on a yanmar boat engine once and it lasted until I had to rebuild the engine.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
It's a diesel, essentially NO carbon monoxide to worry about. Not deadly, but may smell a bit of diesel.

WHAT?!!!
firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #11

We cracked our manifold after a hard climb on 395N on our way to Reno. Did not know it was a cracked manifold at that time, but we both heard the noise. I crawled up and behind the engine (Side radiator helps on that account.) with my flash light, looking for signs of a cracked manifold, and or leaking tube, and or ruptured hoses. Could see nothing.

We decided to monitor the situation as we were worked our way East of Reno towards Denver area. That good old loneliest Highway 50 is an easy run, and I kept my foot out of it. Watching all the gauges, including the turbo boost values. Every time we'd stop for a break, I'd open the rear hatch with my flashlight and look around. And every night we stopped I'd climb back behind the engine once it had cooled down. Could see nothing.

We were at a KOA in Utah, and the owner and I were talking. He suggested I swing by and have a gent he knew take a look at things. Said he was honest, and that he would be able to pin down the problem. I went in to see him first, told him what the noise. He said to bring it in first thing in the AM, and they'd look it over. I got to their shop about 45 mins before opening, so the engine could cool down for them. He got his crew off and going (They did mobile repairs out at many ranches and farms in the area.) the put on some coveralls, and worked his way back into the engine bay. Had me start the engine, it ran for about 90 seconds. He had me turn it off. Came out of the engine bay and said: "You have a cracked manifold on the bottom side of number 3." He said it would take him a day to get the parts, but due to commitments, it would not be until next week before he could get to the repair.

He said to keep doing what I was doing on monitoring things, and keep my foot out of it. Suggested I call ahead to Cummins in Grand Junction, and set up an appointment and confirm they had the proper exhaust available. We talked a bit more, and I asked him a question about my ECM codes, he got his banged up laptop, hooked it up, and accessed the ECM via Inside. Gave me the info I was looking for. Probably spent a total of 45 mins with me.

I said thanks, what do I owe you? He said well I really didn't do anything, so just drive safe and have a good trip. (We sent a box of mixed nuts/dried fruits/etc. - large enough for a few days of grazing by him and his staff.)

Got to Cummins in Grand Junction, stayed at Club Cummins the night before our appointment. They had the second half of the new exhaust manifold transferred from the Denver shop. Got us in first thing, and we were out and ready to go just before lunch. (Well a bit after lunch, the mechanic knew we were wanting to move on that day, and he worked thru his scheduled lunch to finish.)

Knock on wood, all is good, now about 24K miles later!

So I suppose the short answer to your question, is you can driver from South of Reno to Grand Junction Colorado area! IF, you have the same sort of crack and location as ours... and of course, you really just don't know!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Old 02-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #12

I had a small crack between cylinders 3/4 on mine. I noticed it in LA and decided to drive it home to Portland Or. I babied it on the hills and drove it easy on the flats. The crack never got worse and I just changed it out a month ago. The price of the parts is around 450.00
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi, had same prob same engine on way to Missouri....Was loud but got me down the road....had fixed with half intake when got to Springfield....around 700 dollars that way about 5 years ago.....that apparently split system on the 8.3....said it had warped....good luck...don't take chances..
fastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi, any engine heating problems on long steep mountains?

fastman is offline   Reply With Quote