Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #1

Extended Stay Question

Have been full timing for almost 3 years(first RV) and have not stayed in one location for more than 3 weeks but this November will spend six month in the Fort Meyers area. I plan on firing up the RV about every 4/5 weeks(running generator) and hitting the hwy for an hour or so to lube everything up but is there any thing else I need to do to keep it in good running condition(diesel fuel additives?).
Thanks in advance for all replies,
Jim & Diane 98" HRE 37'
jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #2

Don't need any additives for fuel but do keep fuel tank as full as you can.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

Add Biobor-JF to your fuel to prevent algae and you're all set. I always add Biobor.

https://www.amazon.com/Biobor-JF-Die...s%2C173&sr=8-2
Old 07-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use a biocide additive when staying in Florida for the winter. You don't have to start your engine during your stay - but if you do, you're exactly right, run it under load. It's much worse if it just idles. Same for the generator - run it under a load (like A/Cs).

Keep an eye on your engine air intake - we had birds nesting in ours one winter...DW and grandkids got a real kick out of that ...
Old 07-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Amen on treating deisel fuel with a biocide, as mostly likely you will have a biodegrade diesel in the tank. As said full tank is best when sitting. But that won't keep biodeisel from developing water. And thats where the microorganism grow when in warm weather. Trust me, you do not want to be on side of road changing fuel filters for thousands of miles till you get it cleared up. Been there

"Microbial contamination of diesel fuel. Diesel bug is contamination of diesel fuel by microbes such as bacteria and fungi. Water can get into diesel fuel as a result of condensation, rainwater penetration or adsorption from the air — modern biodiesel is especially hygroscopic.:
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Amen on treating deisel fuel with a biocide, as mostly likely you will have a biodegrade diesel in the tank. As said full tank is best when sitting. But that won't keep biodeisel from developing water. And thats where the microorganism grow when in warm weather. Trust me, you do not want to be on side of road changing fuel filters for thousands of miles till you get it cleared up. Been there

"Microbial contamination of diesel fuel. Diesel bug is contamination of diesel fuel by microbes such as bacteria and fungi. Water can get into diesel fuel as a result of condensation, rainwater penetration or adsorption from the air — modern biodiesel is especially hygroscopic.:
The bright side is, you were able to pull off the road to change filters. Aircraft only have one route, with luck-a controlled crash.
FWIW, we've wintered in Ft. Myers Beach for several winters, I've never added anything to the fuel tank but truck stop fuel up to filler neck, about 8 miles from RV park. I've never found water in the separator or filters.
YMMV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have read lots of threads where people have problems with algae. I guess we have been lucky. We live in very high humidity area (SE TX) and have never added anything to our diesel other than Power Service and never experienced this problem. We only fill up at truck stops when on the road and a small gas station close to our house. Our RV sits outside and uncovered for 3 to 4 months at a time and I never start it. Never had any problems. About every 2 months or so I will start and load up the generator for an hour or so.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The bright side is, you were able to pull off the road to change filters. Aircraft only have one route, with luck-a controlled crash.
FWIW, we've wintered in Ft. Myers Beach for several winters, I've never added anything to the fuel tank but truck stop fuel up to filler neck, about 8 miles from RV park. I've never found water in the separator or filters.
YMMV.
Glad you brought that up as thats why Biobor JF was developed for the airlines and military. Just cause it hasn't happen yet...is no guarantee it never will. But Im happy for you.

https://www.biobor.com/products/biobor-jf-aviation/
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
I have read lots of threads where people have problems with algae. I guess we have been lucky. We live in very high humidity area (SE TX) and have never added anything to our diesel other than Power Service and never experienced this problem. We only fill up at truck stops when on the road and a small gas station close to our house. Our RV sits outside and uncovered for 3 to 4 months at a time and I never start it. Never had any problems. About every 2 months or so I will start and load up the generator for an hour or so.
Much the same except I do NOT use truck stops (love Gas Buddy) and I do not exercise the generator while snowbirding in SE Fla.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Much the same except I do NOT use truck stops (love Gas Buddy) and I do not exercise the generator while snowbirding in SE Fla.
You have a bad experience at a truck stop? Just curious.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
You have a bad experience at a truck stop? Just curious.
Not me but my wallet now that Pilot owns FlyJ. Going 3-4 blocks further from the Interstates can save you 30-40 cents times 100+ gallons adds up. I do miss the long handled brushes.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #12

X4 on Biobor-JF. I add it to the fill tube before I stick the pump handle in to fill. I read about it here, my friends use it, I have used it since my first fill up. I have not seen any algae and hope to never see any.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
x2 what skypilot said. A few dollars worth of an algaecide in the tank now can save a lot later. As much as our rv's cost and the more we happily spend on them, something this should be a no-brainer.

We spent a winter in FL Keys, and when it came time to leave we got maybe 6 miles down the road before the 'Check Engine" light and derated power. Fortunately it was right close to an rv park. Coach had been filled just before the Keys late that summer. Got mobile service guy out several days later to do a complete fuel polishing. He'd been too busy before that doing the same thing to some local commercial boats (so it can happen to anyone!). $400 later, we were good to go.

"Don't let it happen to you", as the commercial says.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #14

Things change for sure but I have had diesels since they were installed in trucks and tractors. Started out with the dual fuel gas then fuel way back. Never needed a biocide however we had filters and separators on the tanks and all equipment and tanks were left full if stored and usually full overnight as well if in service.

If it buys peace of mind then why not use a biocide, however it is bacteria, algae requires sunlight to grow.

Most of the bizarre instances you hear of have had some kind of intervention of something stupid has happened either by accident or on purpose.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote