Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #15

Suggest you post a question on the Monaco Owners Forum too. Ask if anyone has found a successful larger canister upgrade path for the coach. Coach manufacturers sometimes make compromises on how and where they install their cannisters. Usually at the higher end of the food chain, where the Signature fits in, they don't save a few dollars by cheaping out on the used cannisters. (I do feel that some manufacturers do cheap out on some of the entry to mid level coaches, adding to their profit margins.)

Someone may have figured out away of adding a larger canister, and appropriate piping, to your rig. No matter what, I'd only stay with upgraded sized canisters, with high quality OEM like Fleetguard/Donaldson/Baldwin/Etc. filters.

Best of luck to you!!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe PM one or both of these guy's iRV2 Forums - View Profile: Mike Canter or

iRV2 Forums - View Profile: Steve Ownby
As I think I was watching a thread once as to where they were going to re-do their air intake system.

Here was the start of Steve's mod. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/turb...ze-194870.html
Old 01-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #17

Pale horse is correct. High rpm with no load won't register. Personal experience.
John 2009 exdp,
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #18

I have the 400 ISL and even with a new filter it would get almost to the red all the time.

I up sized my filter and now gets to 4-5 on the minder and never past that.

The rear caps design on these coaches limits room for the air filter system. Very poor design.

I was lucky to have the room with a little redesign to put the lager filter in.

I had to buy filter clamps, larger elbow and collar. Also had to cut the filter stand down 1" and reweld it.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
I have the 400 ISL and even with a new filter it would get almost to the red all the time.

I up sized my filter and now gets to 4-5 on the minder and never past that.

The rear caps design on these coaches limits room for the air filter system. Very poor design.

I was lucky to have the room with a little redesign to put the lager filter in.

I had to buy filter clamps, larger elbow and collar. Also had to cut the filter stand down 1" and reweld it.
I assume you stayed with the Ecolite type filter but just a larger diameter 13" with 7" inlet and outlet?
Old 01-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post

Wrong Mel, the engine needs to be under a load/driven in order for the minder to register.......properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer0624 View Post

Pale horse is correct. High rpm with no load won't register. Personal experience.
John 2009 exdp,
So who gets the job of running behind the coach with the engine cover up to see what the Filter Minder is registering while "Under Load"?

Only Kidding!

The Filter Minder is built to "remember" the highest setting.

See this web site information on How a Filter Minder Works.

Therefore you are able to view the Filter Minder ANYTIME to see what it says and then determine whether your air filter needs to be changed or not.

I have included photos of my specific AFM which has a large window showing the entire scale range plus a small window that when the red flag reaches this window it's time to change filter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter Minder-02.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	84274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter Minder-01.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	84275  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer0624 View Post
John 2009 exdp,
racer0624
It does on mine!
Mel
'96 Safari, 250hp 3126 Cat
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
racer0624
It does on mine!
Mel
Maybe yours is toast. In simple terms, The amount of fuel and air entering an engine is based on load. The more load, the more air and fuel.
Sitting in your driveway with the pedal to the metal is NOT full load.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #23

Failed Filter Minder or....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Maybe yours is toast. In simple terms, The amount of fuel and air entering an engine is based on load. The more load, the more air and fuel.

Sitting in your driveway with the pedal to the metal is NOT full load.

What if my filter minder never changed, did not rise? I put in a new air filter last July. Never registered before I changed it. Dead filter minder? Have heard of it. How to check?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/...ary/053979.pdf

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
So who gets the job of running behind the coach with the engine cover up to see what the Filter Minder is registering while "Under Load"?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Go Pro camera!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
racer0624
It does on mine!
Mel
Something is wrong with it then. A turbo, by basic physical limitations and design, needs a lot of exhaust pressure to spin up to full boost, and therefore create huge vacuum at the filter.

So what you're saying is that the turbo pushes the same boost in NEUTRAL as it does climbing a grade in 3rd at 100% throttle?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #26

I had similar problem, filter minder read too high with new filter. went to dealer to buy new filter minder,and asked to check it for calibration before I bought it.counter person said ,it's a new one, but reluctantly went to the shop and brought out a vacuum pump with master test gauge. New unit was way off calibration, checked another one- no good either. just left my old unit on and changed filter when it looked dirty. This was on our 98 ISB in Discovery.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartT View Post
Palehorse89, I was drafting my reply and didn't see your post until afterwards. I have PM'd Gary as suggested and asked him to reply here. Thanks.
I will need until Monday to check air flow requirements for the ISX. The ISL9 has as much flow as some ISX ratings. So the same air cleaner could be on both. Since you just bought the coach do you know if modifications have been done to change HP rating. It is possible that the fuel rate could havebeen increeased but no accomodation for more air as changing to a larger. Air cleaner is no kid's game. It is late and I am tired. Got to call my Cummins guy to get some Ir specs on ISX and ISL9 HPratings. As you may have already read that all these brands buy the Farr Ecolite as building an assem ly line for thes is vsry costly. So, if their sales numbers are low. Until they can achieve significant market share they must wait until then to begin produ tion of their own replacement product.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
What if my filter minder never changed, did not rise? I put in a new air filter last July. Never registered before I changed it. Dead filter minder? Have heard of it. How to check?
Idle engine, warm, start to cover/seal off the air intake,(fresh air inlet on Coach) look at filter minder , should rise, if not go full scale, depending on how much air flow you restrict.