Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

Failed Filter Minder or....?

On the trip back from South Carolina in December, after purchasing my coach with a 600hp ISX, I noticed the Filter Minder was fully to the red. So I stopped at a truck stop and purchased and installed a new air filter. Part# AH8503FLG, an Eco brand I think I remember.

When I arrived in Arizona, I noticed that once again it had pegged into the red. I carefully examined the ducting from the intake up on rear cap to the minder sensor port just past the filter. Nothing.

Possible defective Filter Minder, possible defective filter, possible undersized filter (excepts that it fits the mounts perfectly), or what else? Before I start throwing parts at it, does anyone have any suggestions?
StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you reset it after you installed the new filter? Or maybe I should ask if Yours is resettable?
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
KIX

is the filter you bought CFM rated for your engine?
If you can put a piece of tube on the filter minder then suck on the tube and watch the minder you can get an idea of how much restriction it takes to put the minder in the red.
On your trip did you notice less mpg?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

Jervis, yes I did reset the filter minder when I installed the new filter.

A little more research this morning. The part number I purchased was for a Fleetguard filter. That cross references with a Donaldson P537488 as spec'd in my owner's manual. I have no idea, nor can I find info on the CFM ratings, but it does bring up an issue. That is the same filter spec'd for a 400hp ISL. An ISL is 543 cu. in., a 600hp ISX is 912 cu. in.

Unless these filters are way overkill for an ISL, it may be they are inadequate for an ISX. Tell me it ain't so!

Ps. KIX, I had no reference for mpg since I was on my way home from purchasing the coach.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartT View Post

A little more research this morning. The part number I purchased was for a Fleetguard filter. That cross references with a Donaldson P537488 as spec'd in my owner's manual. I have no idea, nor can I find info on the CFM ratings, but it does bring up an issue. That is the same filter spec'd for a 400hp ISL. An ISL is 543 cu. in., a 600hp ISX is 912 cu. in.
Unless these filters are way overkill for an ISL, it may be they are inadequate for an ISX. Tell me it ain't so!
Ps. KIX, I had no reference for mpg since I was on my way home from purchasing the coach.
StuartT
I suspect your air filter minder has gone bad.
Throw a new one at the problem, (they sell for $15-$20).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

I would PM Gary here iRV2 Forums - View Profile: spike45 and ask him his opinion.......and it would be nice if he would chime in here so others can read his comments on your problem also.........I am going to say your filter minder is working ok, reading air restriction.........Gary will be able to tell you the specs. on the needed air filter for your engine and if what you bought is the correct one.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
StuartT
I suspect your air filter minder has gone bad.
Throw a new one at the problem, (they sell for $15-$20).
Mel
'96 Safari
I know that is a cheap troubleshoot and is a good suggestion. I was actually planning to do that.

I am also looking for any other possibilities to consider since we are set up for the winter/spring in an RV park and will not pull out until April. If this is not the right filter for an ISX, or someone else has run into this before and has more information, now would be a good time to find out about it.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #8

Palehorse89, I was drafting my reply and didn't see your post until afterwards. I have PM'd Gary as suggested and asked him to reply here. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
I know that is a cheap troubleshoot and is a good suggestion. I was actually planning to do that.

I am also looking for any other possibilities to consider since we are set up for the winter/spring in an RV park and will not pull out until April. If this is not the right filter for an ISX, or someone else has run into this before and has more information, now would be a good time to find out about it.
StuartT
It's not necessary to drive/move your coach to check the operation of a filter minder.
Simply reset the filter minder, start and warm the engine to operating temperature....then momentarily increase the engine speed to normal highway rpm.
If a new minder also reaches the "red" something in the intake system, (most likely the air filter), is amiss.
Mel
'96 safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
StuartT
It's not necessary to drive/move your coach to check the operation of a filter minder.
Simply reset the filter minder, start and warm the engine to operating temperature....then momentarily increase the engine speed to normal highway rpm.
If a new minder also reaches the "red" something in the intake system, (most likely the air filter), is amiss.
Mel
'96 safari
Wrong Mel, the engine needs to be under a load/driven in order for the minder to register.......properly.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #11

Here is a link to Donaldson Ecolite.
Looks like the rating on your filter 537488 is 1200 CFM. Does not sound like the right filter for a 600 HP engine but hopefully Gary can shed some light on the subject.
Yours is 11" diameter and the next step up is 537449 which is 1500 CFM but is 13" diameter. Both have 7" connections.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/000622.pdf
Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #12

filter minder problem

I have had the same problem with my 360 hp 6.7, Changed filters, changed minders, talked to Cummins and Freightliner still no change. Mine never goes to red but gets high after highway use. My conclusion is that the intake throat distance is too long and too many twists and turns that causes inline air resistance that equal about 10inches of water under constant load. The fix is that cummins and the coach makers make it easy to get air thru filter to the engine.

I have Dodge 3500, 5.9 that the filter minder works properly, over time the minder shows that the filter slowly fills up. Change the filter.

Bottom line live with until I am back at Freightliner. I am getting 9.4 MPG and I am not unhappy with that.

If there is a solution would love to hear it.

Dave
McGalliard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

another filter minder note

We need to remember the filter minder measures the resistance (or increase vacuum) in the intake air stream to the engine. Larger engines would require larger piping to reduce resistance and we know the space is a problem that can get in the way of correct piping.

Dave
McGalliard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

The part number I purchased was for a Fleetguard filter. That cross references with a Donaldson P537488 as spec'd in my owner's manual. I have no idea, nor can I find info on the CFM ratings, but it does bring up an issue. That is the same filter spec'd for a 400hp ISL. An ISL is 543 cu. in., a 600hp ISX is 912 cu. in.
Stuart,

That is the same air filter that my Cummins ISC 350HP uses.

Here are the specs.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote