RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jim, I replaced all of the lines on our coach in 2014 before the Fass and Davco install. They deteriorated and failed. I used just the Fass pump after the Davco, my Davco has a 10 micron filter inside, which is more the enough to keep clean fuel to the pump. I also used a one-way check valve at the tank, here is the valve I used. I was concerned the fass pump might starve for fuel on start up if the fuel were to drain back to the tank, so I put this right at the tank.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220194b
Our coach was factory plumbed with -10 hydraulic hose on the feed side and -8 on the return side, I replaced with the same, but a hose designed for diesel fuel or oil.

jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #16

Here are some before and after photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2771.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	168573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2770.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	168574  

Name:	IMG_2636.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	168575  

Old 07-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
jleamo1
Thanks for the quick reply.
Did you plug the return port on the pump? or does the pump alone not have a return on it?

The more I think about it, I am leaning toward the Titanium series and using a fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on the pressure. That way I will not need the Davco with the see through glass to see what is going on.

thanks, Jim
Old 07-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #18

No return port that I recall, it does have a boost port which is plugged. I also put a gauge on the dash that is picking up the pressure after the secondary filter in the engine bay. Between the two and the Davco I can see if my filters are beginning to clog, which was a valuable tool. I had a tank of bad fuel that plugged filters, when they were the old design canister I couldn't tell there was a problem until the coach would buck on acceleration. Between the Davco and two gauges there is no guessing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gauges.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	168578  
Old 07-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
You're right. No guessing with zero pressure on the gauge. :-) :-)
barclay7568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:05 AM   #20

I don't want to throw a wrench into such a nice install and an update that I want to do to our rig but,,, isn't Teflon tape a huge no no in hydraulic and fuel systems? The Teflon tape if installed on the male threads too close to the end of the fitting will come loose and get into the hydraulic or fuel system causing accelerated seal and cylinder wall wear (hydraulic or fuel injection pump cylinder not engine cylinder). I was told by at least two people to never use this to seal a leak. Your fuel fittings should have an o ring seal that goes to a flare so no pipe thread fittings are needed. For example, look at your original fuel pump, lift pump. The first fitting threads into the pump and has an o ring to seal against pump flange then it has a flare fitting on the other end. The filters should catch the Teflon but it is worth noting. My guy who makes hydraulic hoses gave me a good lecture on this and another diesel mechanic on the fuel end.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlckmj View Post
OK,
I am about to start getting the pieces together to install the FASS pump, before I end up having to replace the CAPS system, but I have a few questions.

I am thinking about installing a Davco filter at the tank and then mounting the Fass pump. If I do this, do I need the titanium series with the filters, or just the pump?

OR

Do I just mount the titanium 90GPH pump with filters at the tank, eliminate the primary filter in the rear compartment, and the filter on the motor? or just the primary filter and leave the secondary filter that is mounted on the motor?
(it looks like the titanium filters clean to 2 or 3 microns, just like the secondary Cummins filter does?)

Or do I need to leave the second OEM filter on the motor?

I see that the Titanium series pumps have a return on the housing, do I plug that and keep the original return system in tact from the original pump manifold?

90 GPH and 17 PSI is really not high pressure can I get by with steel, aluminum, or copper line for the main sections and use the appropriate (flared) end fittings and hose clamps? or do I need to have fuel lines made up with crimped ends to eliminate leaks?

I will probably run new lines because mine are 17 years old, do you recommend running feed and return?

What diameter line do I need? 3/8, 1/2, or 5/8 inch? Do I need the same size for both feed and return?

I am sure that there will be more questions as I get further into this, so thanks ahead of time

Jim
Did you come up with anymore info on FASS pump? I'm in the planning mode and hope to order asap. How are you going to run your new hoses?
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:15 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
79cvx20

Not yet, I have been running it as is for now.

I plan to do this when the weather calms down some. Fat people (me) don't do very well in heat.

Jim
Old 08-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #23

Fass Fuel Pump

The Fass fuel pump has a return line because it pulls the fuel into the first filter
Then through the pump into the next fuel filter the return line in there system then sends back to the tank whats not needed already filtered clean fuel it repeats this over and over cleaning if it were to just run and cycle the whole take could be cleaned of crud air and water look at there you tube video I'm installing mine in the under propane storage area its right after the tank I'm mounting a sump then to the Fass system straight to the VP44 leave the return system alone on the VP44 and run the return from the Fass back through the fuel pick up tube my second filter on a 5.9 Cummins in a stupid place cant reach it from the bottom and to much in the way on top. That's my story and sticking to it.

2002 Monaco Knight 30 pbd 5.9 Allison 3000
buxtonworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:42 AM   #24

I don't suppose anyone has a complete list of parts for their installation?

I'm trying to put together a FASS solution for my 2003 Cummins ISC (with CAPS injection system) and I have a Winnebago - Itasca "Horizon" (40AD) model.

For example, I don't know how much fuel line I will need based on either of these two installation options I am considering:

A) Go with the Titanium Series Lift Pump, Part #D08 095G, which is a 95-GPH pump, and comes with 2 FASS Fuel Filters. This pump is preset 16-18 PSI, which means I think I have to remove the 2-filters I already have installed in my coach, but maybe not. Keeping one might be preferred, but having 4 filters to change doesn't sound that great to me and I'm concerned about fuel restriction.

Alternatively, if I mount the Titanium FASS filters close to the fuel tank; and the pump is putting out 16-18 PSI, then I don't think having one more 10-micron filter in line with the CAPS pump would be a problem. What do you guys think?

...or;

B) I go with the adjustable 95-GPH Fass Pump only (Part # FA D08 095G) and mount it in my engine compartment... between the 20-micron primary filter and the 10-micron secondary filter... after I bypass my electric Cummins Lift Pump... which is only about 6 feet of hose from the back of the engine to the Lift Pump Manifold.

* I'm guessing you have to "set" the FASS lift pump fuel pressure after you install this adjustable pump. Is this correct?
...And Will I need to have fuel pressure gauges to complete the installation if I go with the adjustable 95 GPH FASS pump and keep my 2 filters?

* FASS also sells wire harness for a Dodge 2005-1018 model installation that has wire plugs and a relay. And I'm guessing I can use this for the rear mounted "B" installation, but I'm not sure if the long wire end of the harness will be long enough if I go with installation "A".

And then there is the mounting bracket issues. What will work?

Note: All these items come in a Titanium Kit, but I'm no sure if I would utilize all these parts, and I think the hose will be too short to mount the Titanium FAAS pump near the fuel tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FASS Titanium 95 GPH Lift Pump Kit.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	252742   Click image for larger version

Name:	FASS Adjustable 95 GPH Lift Pump (No Filters).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	252743  

Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I used my secondary filter along with the filters that came with the FASS pump. From the pump I ran a -10 PTFE SS braided fuel hose straight to the secondary filter then from the secondary filter straight to the injection pump. There is a return line off that FASS pump that need to go back to the tank. The closer you are to the tank the easier it will be to run that line. Also the pump will not work near as hard pushing the fuel the long distance as it will pulling it.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #26
TR4

Go here and read what others have done;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/repeating-caps-failures-need-help-289659.html

Bill
TR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #27

I'm just on the sidelines now, but have this to say. When biodiesel hit the fuel pumps I had an 02 Durmax dually. One day I checked motor oil level and there was nothing to see. What happened was, the copper seals in the high-pressure common rails had deteriorated from exposure to biodiesel, and the crankcase was FULL of diesel fuel.
The Chevrolet dealer who did the repair work showed me the old and a new copper seal, the new revised copper seals were re-formulated copper.
If you run copper fuel lines it might be a good idea to find verification it is safe for biodiesel.
That's my 2 cents,now back to regular programming.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybo View Post
Just finished installing new fass fuel pump with two filter system. I disconnected the wires going to the old lift pump. The fass system needs a switchable 12 volt to it. I wired it all up that way, but now the check engine lite and busser comes on. I believe it is from the disconnected fuel lift pump wire. Does anyone know to fix this
If your RV is older than 2004 you need to change the fuel feed line from the tank to the Caps pump. The hose that they were using before 2004 the liner dislodges and stops up the system. The elbow to my primary fuel filter was so stopped up with plastic liner that no fuel could even get into the filter. If you look up the fuel hose number that you have in the Goodyear catalog it says do not use on manufacturing units anymore.

79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, install