Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #1

Fass Fuel Pump Problem?

I recently installed the Titanium Series Fass Fuel Pump on my 2002 Dutch Star. I have a 350 Cummins and Spartan Chassis. I purchased the pump from Brazels RV Performance and went by their recommendation for installation. I took a 100 mile trip after installation just to make sure everything worked properly after installation and no problems. Yesterday, I left home for a 2 week vacation and about 250 miles into the trip my service engine light came on and it reduced power. It starting running hotter than normal. I limped in to a campground in Memphis. I used the on board diagnostic sequence and it is showing code 268 and 452 which both relate to fuel. I also installed a fuel pressure gauge during pump install. I did notice since the install that when under a load such as climbing a long hill, the fuel pressure would fluctuate a lot. It had some fluctuation when not under a load but not near as much when pulling hard. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions? Also is there anyway to clear the codes without a scan tool?
mperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Curious on what you find out. I just did same exact thing except I just bought the pump through an independent dealer and copied what others have done on here. We are going to make a 200 mile test trip this coming Tuesday. Wish I could offer more help.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #3

Thank You. I am pretty mechanically inclined and I even called Brazels to make sure I was correct on everything. The pump sounds like it is cavitating when sitting still with the key on. Maybe that is normal but it does not seem like it would be. It holds a steady 16 psi when not running or idling but under a load the pressure fluctuates from 5-25 psi. I would love to be able to clear the codes and see what happens. I do not understand the engine temp rising once going into limp mode either.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where did you mount the pump in the original location near the engine or up front near the fuel tank
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporietis View Post
Where did you mount the pump in the original location near the engine or up front near the fuel tank

I mounted it in the rear of the coach so I would have easy access to the filters. I also confirmed that it would work fine there through Brazels.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure none of your fittings of filters are leaking air. The new pump has a lot more volume than the original lift pump
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporietis View Post
Make sure none of your fittings of filters are leaking air. The new pump has a lot more volume than the original lift pump

I will recheck them. Thank You
Old 08-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
TR4

Did you install a fuel pressure snubber? Is your fuel sending unit installed after the secondary filter? My Fass install is about three years old. Fuel pressure at idle is about 16 psi. On a long hard pull it will drop to about 10 psi. This is with filters that were installed at the same time as the pump. The gauge has no wild fluctuations (I installed a fuel pressure snubber). I do not hear cavitation in the pump.

You might have an air leak on the suction side of the pump. If your seeing 5 psi with this pump, your filters are bad or your pulling in air.

Bill
Old 08-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I know my pump made a ton of racket the first few times I started it up. It has since quieted down. I mounted mine close to the tank cause I figured it's easier to push the fuel rather than pull from a long distance. I would start by changing fuel filters.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #10

Problem Solved!!! I went to the Cummins dealer this morning and explained my troubles and gave him the fault codes that I had. He advised to change the fuel pressure sensor on back of the injector pump. I purchased one and went back to campground and changed it. Fired it up and no check engine light anymore. He said that sometimes you have to clear the codes with a scan tool and sometimes they will just go inactive when you fix the problem. I am going to purchase a snubber as TR4 recommended and see if that helps the fuel pressure fluctuation. The pump was quieter than when I first installed and pressure did not spike as much but still more than I think it should. I did tighten one fitting on the suction side a little more. Apparently, it was just a coincident that the pressure sensor went bad after installing the FASS pump. I do not think they are related. I will also purchase a scan tool to keep with me though. I would have purchased the Inline mini from Cummins this morning but they did not have one in stock. Thank You to everyone that offered their suggestions and help. Let me know if I can ever return the favor.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

In my experience, a fuel pressure snubber is used on piston or diaphragm pumps, usually mechanical, in order to quell the "water hammer" type effect caused by the reciprocating piston design. Without some type of supressor, the readings are often jerky and hard to interpret and the mechanical gauges and the senders on electric gauges are sometimes damaged.

On the other hand, electric fuel pumps are usually not piston designs, so they typically don't suffer from the "water hammer" effect and therefore don't need snubbers.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperry View Post
Problem Solved!!! I went to the Cummins dealer this morning and explained my troubles and gave him the fault codes that I had. He advised to change the fuel pressure sensor on back of the injector pump. I purchased one and went back to campground and changed it. Fired it up and no check engine light anymore. He said that sometimes you have to clear the codes with a scan tool and sometimes they will just go inactive when you fix the problem. I am going to purchase a snubber as TR4 recommended and see if that helps the fuel pressure fluctuation. The pump was quieter than when I first installed and pressure did not spike as much but still more than I think it should. I did tighten one fitting on the suction side a little more. Apparently, it was just a coincident that the pressure sensor went bad after installing the FASS pump. I do not think they are related. I will also purchase a scan tool to keep with me though. I would have purchased the Inline mini from Cummins this morning but they did not have one in stock. Thank You to everyone that offered their suggestions and help. Let me know if I can ever return the favor.
Glad you got it figured out and also glad you came back and described the fix. We drove ours yesterday about 160 miles without any problems. The only fuel gauge I have is on top of the filter housing in the engine compartment. The pressure started out at 18 psi then when we got home it was around 15 psi. It's a liquid filled gauge and being it was probably pretty hot back there that may have caused the fluctuation. The pump we bought has a return at the pump which keeps pressure steady. Fingers crossed for big trip next month...lol.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #13

Glad to hear yours worked good. Hope it continues. My FASS Pump also has a return and that's why I think the pressure should not spike like it does. I am going to call FASS when I get a chance and discuss it with them. It seems like a snubber would just mask the problem but I am not an engineer.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperry View Post
Glad to hear yours worked good. Hope it continues. My FASS Pump also has a return and that's why I think the pressure should not spike like it does. I am going to call FASS when I get a chance and discuss it with them. It seems like a snubber would just mask the problem but I am not an engineer.

I’m looking to do the same thing. How did you install yours?
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump