Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Fluid and Filter Changes?

Purchased my first DP two years ago from a PO that did all of the maintenance himself. He was a little OCD so I have no doubt that he did things the right way. I have stayed in tune with doing my own oil/filter and lube. I am now wondering if any of the other fluids/filters need changing. Its a 02 CC with the 400 ISL, and Allison 3000.

The coolant was changed over to ES Compleat in Oct. 2011. The DCA levels are good but the filter (2077) looks like its been on there since the fluid change. That was 35K miles ago. Engine temps run steady at 182 to 184, climbing hills has never gone over 195.

Transmission was changed to Transynd at the same time, Oct 2011 and 35k miles ago. Again the filters have not been touched since then.

The hydraulic fluid or filters have never been touched. The PO said you could do more harm than good by messing with it. The fluid looks good, and has always stayed full.

Does any of these items need attention? Thanks
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Purchased my first DP two years ago from a PO that did all of the maintenance himself. He was a little OCD so I have no doubt that he did things the right way. I have stayed in tune with doing my own oil/filter and lube. I am now wondering if any of the other fluids/filters need changing. Its a 02 CC with the 400 ISL, and Allison 3000.

The coolant was changed over to ES Compleat in Oct. 2011. The DCA levels are good but the filter (2077) looks like its been on there since the fluid change. That was 35K miles ago. Engine temps run steady at 182 to 184, climbing hills has never gone over 195.

Transmission was changed to Transynd at the same time, Oct 2011 and 35k miles ago. Again the filters have not been touched since then.

The hydraulic fluid or filters have never been touched. The PO said you could do more harm than good by messing with it. The fluid looks good, and has always stayed full.

Even with Transynd fluid, Allison calls for filter change at 36 months. At least, I would pull a sample and send to JG Lube Services. The owner is Tom Johnson who is the retired Allison engineer who wrote the TES295 spec that the Transynd class of fluids were designed to meet. Tom has authored a thread on the Allison forum and will be happy to discuss your fluid test, either by email or phone.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #3

Quote:

The only one I would do is the Hydraulic filter and top off with new oil
and maybe the air dryer filter if its never been done
The automatic filters are more than good to go at 35K miles
and of course since you have the 295 Allison oil you will never need to change in your lifetime
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post

and of course since you have the 295 Allison oil you will never need to change in your lifetime

Good call about the air dryer. OP didn't mention & I often gets overlooked. Most air dryers call for service on a 1-3 year schedule.,
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #5

Quote:

I did change out the whole air dryer right after purchase, as it had the original filter on it. I had a truck center take care of this, and when they took it off they said it still looked like new. But I agree better to be safe than sorry.

I was thinking of replacing both the trans and coolant filters.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
I did change out the whole air dryer right after purchase, as it had the original filter on it. I had a truck center take care of this, and when they took it off they said it still looked like new. But I agree better to be safe than sorry.

your MH and your Money my money says the filter are good to go
you will loose 4 gallons of $45 gallon trans oil and those filters at 35K
in round two(second set) will be just fine yet
forgot to ask how many miles on the air filter? if its been a long time change it
if done in the last 25K not to worry yet.I changed mine at 34K and 7 years and it
has some plugging but not bad and paper filtration material looked like new
Old 01-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
your MH and your Money my money says the filter are good to go
you will loose 4 gallons of $45 gallon trans oil and those filters at 35K
in round two(second set) will be just fine yet
forgot to ask how many miles on the air filter? if its been a long time change it
if done in the last 25K not to worry yet.I changed mine at 34K and 7 years and it
has some plugging but not bad and paper filtration material looked like new
I've changed filters on both 3000 and 4000 MH trans. I've never lost more than a gallon and usually it's only about ½ a gallon of fluid and I've never paid more than $40 a gallon and usually less.
Air filters should be changed at two years even if the filter material still looks good. The glue can go bad and let the filter material get sucked into the intake or let dust through. Cummins says it only takes about 2 -3 oz of dust to ruin a diesel.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with Steve on Allison filter change...you will lose four quarts or so, not four gallons.

The coolant filter is probably a zero charge just to fill the spot. With the ES Compleat no DCA charge filter is required.

Air Dryer in the muggy Southeast is a two year change...Idaho you should be good for longer.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #9

Ok $40 or $ 45 big deal. I did think I had heard one lost more than one gallon but maybe it was 4 quarts? no matter at only 35K miles since last ones replaced hes just fine and a air filter every two years> not going to happen in my world.I have read about the paper and glue deal and find that's pretty much a ole wife's tail in my opinion
Old 01-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

The first thing I would do is pull a sample from the transmission. Have you changed the engine oil yet this year? I would send a sample on the engine at the same time. Always do it before you change the oil just incase there is a problem with the sample. That way you can re test to verify if there is a problem. I would also get/replace the coolant filter. Make shure you get one compatible to the coolant you are using.
When you are talking Hydralic do you mean the transmission or the filter in the hydraulic tank? I would change the hydraulic one just to get a good base line. I would change the engine air filter to have a good base line. Then a bout every 2 years as the glue and filter material has a tendency to break down.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #11

So the air filter is 4 yrs and 20k miles. Checked right after purchase and it looked really good. But I will put that on my list to do.

Have not changed oil yet but I am getting ready that's why I started this thread. Wanted to get all my parts lined up.

With the trans the filters and fluid was changed at 52k, it now has 87k.

The hydraulics filters or fluids have never been touched, but like I said earlier the fluid looks really good. Had wax valve installed last spring and they suggested that it looks to good to change.

Coach has never been East of AZ. PO owner lived in CA.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Something you might do is start a file with all the part numbers for everything,filters and anything you come across it will save you time later. You need to get your engine serial number because when you talk the parts people the first thing they want is the serial number. also Cummings Quick serve has everything about your engine.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
The same with Allision. My Transmission
At some point you will need your transmission serial number to.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your Allison came with Transyn...then the interval is huge. When changing to Transyn...I believe they recommend the original service schedule for two changes before observing the longer interval. Allison has a bulletin about this on thier website I believe.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Add air filter to your list...max about two years. A lot of heat in that engine compartment, and any moisture could cause it to come apart...sucking one through a turbo could be real co$tly.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid