Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Fuel transfer pump

Broke down and told by mechanic that fuel transfer pump is bad. Is this expensive to fix?
MSgtNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #2

I'll assume you have a Cummins ISB engine .
The transfer pump ( sometimes called a lift pump ) is a common failure and fairly inexpensive to replace.
However, if your engine happens to be equipped with a VP-44 fuel injection pump, used from 1998 1/2 to 2003, then the injection pump could have been damaged due to lack of fuel supplied to it.
Replacing the lift pump is the first step, but may not be the only repair required, and the injector pump and labor can be pricy.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #3

Had ours replaced for around $800,parts and labor
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh the joys of owning a diesel motorhome
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #5

Yes, the VP-44 needs a good deal of pressure to keep it "Happy". How well we know with our 1999 Cummins ISB 275. Got to the posts on IRV2 regarding "Dead Pedal". OEM Carter boost pump has some problems. If you are handy, it is not to big of a task to replace the Carter pump with an aftermarket pump. Lots of merit in doing that.
Have done it after four "dead pedal" incident.
PS: for those of us who are out of warranty or do not have a comprehensive repair policy,
I would suggest the you look at BLUECHIP diesel products. Can save lots of money versus a diesel shop or Cummins if you are reasonably to handle such engine work.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #6

Parts and labor $776. While doing the work they noticed belt tensioner was bad. It already cut a 1/4 of the serpentine belt off. That was another 300 to repair. Still waiting to see if good.sam covers any of it.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtNobody View Post
Parts and labor $776. While doing the work they noticed belt tensioner was bad. It already cut a 1/4 of the serpentine belt off. That was another 300 to repair. Still waiting to see if good.sam covers any of it.
Replaced mine with a stock pump. Installed a Westec Sensor and gage to watch pressure at the drivers console. Hopefully your VP44 is ok Don't let your lift pump pressure go down below 5psi on the road.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #8

Mine went bad after a morning start to take it to the shop for a head gasket repair. It ran for a minute then the engine stopped. Crank but no fire from then on.

I had already decided to replace the pump as a preventative measure while the head was off and handed a new Cummins part to the shop mechanic, only to find this was the problem with the not start....strange.

After replacement, the engine started fine and restarted with no issue. I asked the mechanic if he felt the VP44 was hurt during the failure window and he said he didn't think it was.

Fingers and toes crossed...
Old 07-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtNobody View Post
Broke down and told by mechanic that fuel transfer pump is bad. Is this expensive to fix?
Haven't heard back from the OP, about year of his coach, but if his info is correct , the coach is a 2008 , and should be HPCR, still possible that a lift pump failure may have taken out the HPCR pump, but not a likely as the fragile VP-44.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #10

It's a 2008 monaco la palma xl
Old 09-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Not to hijack but I have a sudden no start on my 2004 Monaco Diplomat. Suddenly no fuel to engine after sitting in the park for about a month and a half. No work done to Cummins. Cranks over. No fuel to cylinders. I can hear the fuel cutoff solenoid and the fuel pump? running when the key is turned on, but I have no visual movement. What I assume to be the fuel cutoff is mounted rear passenger side of motor above the starter. Suggestions?
Old 09-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNow View Post
Not to hijack but I have a sudden no start on my 2004 Monaco Diplomat. Suddenly no fuel to engine after sitting in the park for about a month and a half. No work done to Cummins. Cranks over. No fuel to cylinders. I can hear the fuel cutoff solenoid and the fuel pump? running when the key is turned on, but I have no visual movement. What I assume to be the fuel cutoff is mounted rear passenger side of motor above the starter. Suggestions?
The previous owner of my coach in signature had a very similar problem. Turned out to be the fuel pump that comes on for about 15 seconds after the key is turned on to prime the system. It is on the passenger side above the starter and he said it was $4000 to replace. I sure hope it's something else. Good luck.
Rich
Old 09-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
The previous owner of my coach in signature had a very similar problem. Turned out to be the fuel pump that comes on for about 15 seconds after the key is turned on to prime the system. It is on the passenger side above the starter and he said it was $4000 to replace. I sure hope it's something else. Good luck.
Rich

Just to be clear, that sounds like the Cummins Accumulator Pump System (CAPS), at that price point(?).

Very possible that the Lift Pump, which helps feed the fuel t the CAPS, could be having a problem.

OP - Did you by chance do any work back in the engine bay, and possibly hit the Emergency Shut Off switch. I can tell you, from a red face, and pocket book scared, experience - that if that switch is shut off by accident, everything will sound like it's working. The engine will turnover, you'll hear those other start up normal sounds that you described, but it will not fire up.

Also, if you look up from underneath the engine, above the starter about 1/2 way up the block towards the passenger side front, do you see the Lift Pump. Any leaking from around that area? (Gaskets go out on older engines, due to ULSD, and can cause fuel starvation to the CAPS.)

Finally, are your fuel filters in good shape? Could you have developed a clogged fuel filter while sitting? Does your filter clear bowl show any problems?

Another idea, is to go to auto parts store, borrow or rent a error code device, and plug it into your port under your dash. Get the code that it kicks out, and then try to convert it to Cummins error codes.

Best of luck to you, and please close the loop back and let us know what the problem turns out to be.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #14

Rexhall Owners Group
If you are mechanically inclined it is an easy component to change. Located on the side of the engine. I relocated the new one on a mount away from the engine to avoid heat and vibration.

Tags
fuel