Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #1

General Cummins diesel engine oil question

I have a new to me 2013 Fleetwood Excursion with the Cummins engine in my signature below. When the dealership delivered the RV to me a couple of weeks ago, they changed the engine oil. I called the RV dealership to ask what kind of oil they used, and they were clueless. All they told me is that they used a conventional 15W40 oil. They weren't sure of the brand.

I'm confused as I've never owned a diesel before, and I just want to buy a quart or two of oil to carry in my kit in the RV. The guy I talked to said that I could use any 15W40 oil in this engine. I "assumed" that diesels needed different or "special" oil since diesels obviously operate differently than the V10 Triton I owned before. Is 15W40 inherently diesel oil, or can 15W40 oil be used for a gas or diesel engine? Can I just buy any conventional 15W40 weight motor oil for this engine, like these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-Del...1-gal/17034368
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...-gal/181236405
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-D...1-gal/16940138
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use Rotella 15W40 in my Cummins and it seems to work just fine.

burfurd
Old 07-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Have it changed again to Rotella T-6 5W-40 full synthetic or
Mobil One Turbo Diesel 5W-40 full synthetic. I'd assume that
the dealer put in whatever is cheapest.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I'm not sure I'd just drain and refill based on "cheap" oil dealer may have used.
I'm sure it's good.
There's many threads here on synthetic engine oil, but don't be intimated into using it. Synthetic has it's pros, but better suited for rear differential, wheel hubs and transmission.

Any of the 3 you have linked will be Ok, general feeling here is Shell rotella .... Valvoline makes the Cummins "house brand"

But yes 15-40 is what's required. Keep a gallon on hand.

Bigger issue is a common problem with motorcoach dipstick not marked correct.
Keep a check on oil level as you travel, it maybe over filled. If it "uses" some right away, don't be alarmed and toss another gallon in, run it a little longer and see if it continues to drop.

Best advice is go to Cummins quickserve web site, make a free account and using your engine serial number you can look up oil change capacity, correct oil, fuel filters and coolant conditioner part numbers.
Then next time oil needs changing, refill with correct specified amount and then see where "full" is on dipstick.
Good luck and enjoy your DP!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
I use Rotella 15W40 in my Cummins and it seems to work just fine.

burfurd
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Have it changed again to Rotella T-6 5W-40 full synthetic or
Mobil One Turbo Diesel 5W-40 full synthetic. I'd assume that
the dealer put in whatever is cheapest.
Cool, I'll check those out. The Rotella 15W40 is one of the oils that is linked above.

Looks like that is the same type/weight of oil recommended for my QD 6.0 RV generator as well.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
The Cummins dealer I use for maintenance used Chevron Delo 15/40 on an annual oil change schedule ...no issues
for the big trucks on a 15k schedule, Had one engine go over 2 million miles without an oil related failure.

All the major brands of oils designed for diesel & industrial gas engines will give you good service..(ie: which is better arguments !...Ford vs Chev vs Dodge & Cat vs Cummins vs Detroit vs Mack vs Volvo)
And all must meet the requirements of not only the engine manufacturers but the DEQ as well..
So use whatever makes you happy
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just to add, I've used Rotella in all my diesel rigs for the last 20 years. Never one problem based on oil... Just did an oil change on my ISC 330 and, yep, used Rotella! I keep a gallon of it in my rear-most bay where the inverter is (that's my parts/tools bay) just in case, but never have needed to use it.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I'm not sure I'd just drain and refill based on "cheap" oil dealer may have used.
I'm sure it's good.
There's many threads here on synthetic engine oil, but don't be intimated into using it. Synthetic has it's pros, but better suited for rear differential, wheel hubs and transmission.

Any of the 3 you have linked will be Ok, general feeling here is Shell rotella .... Valvoline makes the Cummins "house brand"

But yes 15-40 is what's required. Keep a gallon on hand.

Bigger issue is a common problem with motorcoach dipstick not marked correct.
Keep a check on oil level as you travel, it maybe over filled. If it "uses" some right away, don't be alarmed and toss another gallon in, run it a little longer and see if it continues to drop.

Best advice is go to Cummins quickserve web site, make a free account and using your engine serial number you can look up oil change capacity, correct oil, fuel filters and coolant conditioner part numbers.

Good luck and enjoy your DP!
Thanks Mackwrench! Will check out that website. I think I have it linked at home somewhere. I don't plan on draining and filling at this point, even if the dealer went the cheap route.

Very aware of the whole synthetic/non-synthetic arguments for engine oil. I have no intention of starting that debate here on this thread : )

Is there a PDF operating manual for my engine available? Can't seem to find one. For example, I don't know what a "coolant conditioner" is but would like to read about it. Heck, I'd like to know what type of coolant this engine needs so I can keep some of that in my kit, too. I don't even know if one uses a 50/50 ratio like one does with a gas engine.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
The Cummins dealer I use for maintenance used Chevron Delo 15/40 on an annual oil change schedule ...no issues
for the big trucks on a 15k schedule, Had one engine go over 2 million miles without an oil related failure.

All the major brands of oils designed for diesel & industrial gas engines will give you good service..(ie: which is better arguments !...Ford vs Chev vs Dodge & Cat vs Cummins vs Detroit vs Mack vs Volvo)
And all must meet the requirements of not only the engine manufacturers but the DEQ as well..
So use whatever makes you happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
Just to add, I've used Rotella in all my diesel rigs for the last 20 years. Never one problem based on oil... Just did an oil change on my ISC 330 and, yep, used Rotella! I keep a gallon of it in my rear-most bay where the inverter is (that's my parts/tools bay) just in case, but never have needed to use it.
Thanks! I think I'll just throw a gallon of Rotella 15W40 in my rig for the generator and the engine and that should do!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Engine owners manual should also be in quickserve....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Engine owners manual should also be in quickserve....
Thanks!

Tags
cummins, diesel, engine