Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
HHg

My 380hp ISC is giving me 9.2 over 8,800 miles. I'm a 65 mph guy, but always pull my toad. I'm quite happy with my mileage!

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Haven't figured out how to go downhill both ways yet.

Dude! It was back in grade school when it was 3 miles to school, 3 feet of snow, and UPHILL....both ways!

For the record, my average move is about once a month, about 200 miles, and about a hundred bucks.

How many folks can say they move everything they have in the world 200 miles for a hundred bucks?

Dave (RVM1)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:56 AM   #17

We've been running heavy about 75% of the time on this trip to Alaska. Full water, LP, RV stocked, fuel very seldom below 2/3 thirds of a tank, grey/black tanks not always empty too. Towing CRV.

4K miles on this trip so far. Running slow and steady.

Adjusted for generator and hydrohot, 7.4 MPG.

40' coach, tag and CAPS ISL370.

I'm happy with this!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee409 View Post
Had to take the rig back to Houston last week to Heitman truck service. Trying to get back to work quickly I drove closer to 70 mph. Yesterday we picked up the RV at Heitmans. I had my new tow bar and towed our 2001 Jeep Cherokee back to Bridge City. Well I pushed the envelope on a long straight away and topped 75 mph for a little way. WOW my Cummins makes horsepower. Pulled into Bridge City,filled up and checked my mileage. I got 6.6 mpg ,won't be doing that again. I'm just happy to have my RV back. Mike

That's about what I get with my wrangler on the back
6.5 to 7.5 68 to 70 mph
We will be switching to a new f150 crew cab next week hope it stays close with the extra weight !
Good luck with your Rig !
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
We've been running heavy about 75% of the time on this trip to Alaska. Full water, LP, RV stocked, fuel very seldom below 2/3 thirds of a tank, grey/black tanks not always empty too. Towing CRV.

4K miles on this trip so far. Running slow and steady.

Adjusted for generator and hydrohot, 7.4 MPG.

40' coach, tag and CAPS ISL370.

I'm happy with this!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty,
If you look at a map you'll see that your mileage will be a lot better coming back. It's all downhill from Alaska.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Real World Fuel Mileage on Cummins

We are looking at several coaches in the 35 to 37 ft range. They all have either the 300 or the 340 Cummins engine. These are all new to 3yrs old. Forget the smoke that salesmen blow. What are real world expectation on fuel mileage? Assume a cruising speed of 65 mph. One computation with towing and one without a tow. Is one engine particularly better than the other? If so - in what way. And lastly, while cruising - is there any difference between driving with chassis A/C on or turning it off and running the gen set to get A/C. Thanks in advance for your help.
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
We are looking at several coaches in the 35 to 37 ft range. They all have either the 300 or the 340 Cummins engine. These are all new to 3yrs old. Forget the smoke that salesmen blow. What are real world expectation on fuel mileage? Assume a cruising speed of 65 mph. One computation with towing and one without a tow. Is one engine particularly better than the other? If so - in what way. And lastly, while cruising - is there any difference between driving with chassis A/C on or turning it off and running the gen set to get A/C. Thanks in advance for your help.

The hp figure doesn't tell us the engine in question. Depending on the year, these hp ratings can be either the ISB or the ISC. The ISB is the economy champ among Cummins engines but also the smallest displacement. Of great importance in diesel economy is the total weight of what the engine is moving. The ISB is normally used in coaches in the 24k to 30k GVWR range. MPG improved slightly on engines with DEF systems but the cost of the DEF eats up some of that. DEF is on engines built after '10.

Diesel coaches will achieve best MPG when driven at the lowest speed that 6th gear can be held reliability without constant downshifting. This occurs within a couple of hundred rpms of the max torque rpm. Driving technique and speed range is on primary importance in economy.

Coaches in the size & power you are looking at with a GVWR of 26-30k, should be able to turn in a MPG of 8-10.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I'd say in the 9~10 range, based on my ISB. And in answer to your A/C question I usually just run the dash AC, but if it were really hot or very hilly I'd use the coach AC to take some load off of the motor.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The hp figure doesn't tell us the engine in question. Depending on the year, these hp ratings can be either the ISB or the ISC. The ISB is the economy champ among Cummins engines but also the smallest displacement. Of great importance in diesel economy is the total weight of what the engine is moving. The ISB is normally used in coaches in the 24k to 30k GVWR range. MPG improved slightly on engines with DEF systems but the cost of the DEF eats up some of that. DEF is on engines built after '10.

Diesel coaches will achieve best MPG when driven at the lowest speed that 6th gear can be held reliability without constant downshifting. This occurs within a couple of hundred rpms of the max torque rpm. Driving technique and speed range is on primary importance in economy.

Coaches in the size & power you are looking at with a GVWR of 26-30k, should be able to turn in a MPG of 8-10.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Good information. There are also some older coaches that have the ILS with that HP rating. One caution, we have some friends that had a coach that weighed around 30k with an ISB. They took one long trip and sold it...not enough engine for that weight.

I average 8 to 8.5 running 60.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
May a good stiff wind be always at our back.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #25

My 330 C7 cat does 8 and we always tow a toad. I have seen some 5.9 cummings in older Discoverty coaches do in the 10/12 range. I can deal with 8 but talking to a guy with an old prevost with an 8V92 he got 4. Even though I do like the Prevost 4 would be a deal breaker. My old Bule Bird did 8 and it was like an armored car. Keep on rolling for tomorrow we die.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
Along with Steve's, insight to your question. I'll throw this in, cruising I-5 in CA, at 58 mph to get into 6th gear , gives the best mileage on my rig; 9.6; throw a head wind at the shoebox , the only way to describe the aerodynamics of a motor home, and I'm below 8. This attached manual , produced by Cat, has info for all diesel owners to consider.
Dash A/C vs, roof air & genset has been discussed many times here in the forums.
JM2cW. Either way cost is $1.50 to$2. an hour , what's your comfort worth.

BTW; Welcome to iRV2.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cat_RV_Performance.pdf (246.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 06-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Good information. There are also some older coaches that have the ILS with that HP rating. One caution, we have some friends that had a coach that weighed around 30k with an ISB. They took one long trip and sold it...not enough engine for that weight.

I average 8 to 8.5 running 60.

Maybe they just are impatient? My ISB coach rolls at 28500 fully loaded with a 3400 pound toad, and it has performed fine for the 10,000 miles that I have had it.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Thanks for all the info

Greatly appreciate all the feedback. Yes, the engine I was looking at is the ISB 300 Cummins. My current Ford V-10 30 valve runs great - but it is only good for about 7 mpg. I assume it can handle a toad - but I don't know for certain. I guess if I did that, I can forget about any respectable MPG's.
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, fuel