Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #1

I have a american eagle with 146000 miles. I bought this motorhome with 142000 miles and when I start the engine cold. I put the switch on the on position and wait until the wait to start light goes out. Then I wait a half minute longer before turning over the starter. The engine will start and sputter and smoke for a half to a minute before it starts to idle. Sometimes it just stay running at all and have to start it again. Am I doing something wrong in start up or is there something that need to be serviced? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #2

I have a american eagle with 146000 miles. I bought this motorhome with 142000 miles and when I start the engine cold. I put the switch on the on position and wait until the wait to start light goes out. Then I wait a half minute longer before turning over the starter. The engine will start and sputter and smoke for a half to a minute before it starts to idle. Sometimes it just stay running at all and have to start it again. Am I doing something wrong in start up or is there something that need to be serviced? Thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #3

Wihout knowing what engine you have makes it difficult to offer suggestions.

On my Cummins 330ISC, there is a pre-heater in the intake ducting that heats the air coming into the engine for easier starting. Waiting 30 seconds before cranking the engine only defeats the system.

As a side, for the 1st few minutes after starting the engine you may notice fluctuations in the voltage reading. That is normal on mine and only indicates the pre-heater is cycling on & off.

I suggest you crank the engine as soon as the "Wait" light goes out.

Let us know what happens.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #4

Hi mine is the same type ISC330. I will try that. As soon as the light goes off. Thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #5

Be sure to let me know if it helps.
Thanks.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:47 AM   #6

Well ????????????
Old 05-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #7

One common cause of hard starting, and the initial stumbling you alude to, is an air leak in the fuel system somewhere.

With that mileage, and accompanying age, I'd replace every flexable fuel line. The exterior appears fine, but the inside may be totally destroyed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #8

Ray makes a good point and reminds me of something I need to check soon.

If the pre-heater is like my diesel tractor, it is actually powering the glow plugs. You don't want/shouldn't have to hold this longer than 30 sec. or you will damage the glow plugs.

I too have a C8.3 and crank just after the wait to start light goes out. On cold days/nights, if plugged in, I plug in the block heater for 30 minutes before I start it. It will start without it but it cranks slowly due to the large amount of cold oil in the system. I then just rest my foot on the throttle for about a minute to raise the idle up a bit. When I let off, it idles like it was 80 degrees outside.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by quikduk:

If the pre-heater is like my diesel tractor, it is actually powering the glow plugs.

I </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No glow plugs - it warms intake air
Old 07-12-2008, 04:45 AM   #10

Sorry rmmpe I haven't been on this site for a while. I think that it works better with you suggestion. I am going to check and replace all the flex lines and change the fuel filter at the same time. I have been working on the brakes and replaced all them. I have to findout what is wrong with the abs. As the lite is on for that now. Thanks for responding to me question.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #11

No problem on the starting issue reply. Glad it worked for you.
As far as the ABS light goes, since you worked on the brakes, check the position of the sensors on all wheels. If 1 of them is not in all the way, the ABS light will glow.