Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #1

Having problems again with Cummins turbo

:(I am having problems with my Cummins turbo charger in my 2004 Journey.
This has been ongoing problem since 20,000 miles. Now we are just 18 days past warranty.
We are so frustrated with Winnebago and Cummins.
What would you do????
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
18 days is pretty close. Talk with Cummins about covering it under warranty, especially if you have a documented history of problems with the turbo. If not ask if they will cover it under a "Policy" adjustment or Customer Good Will? Or, give you some break either on parts, labor or both. It never hurts to ask. Get belligerent and demanding with them and be assured, they will stick to the warranty to the letter!
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #3

Fleetman
It is WELL documented!! The last time we talked to Cummins, the rep said he wouldn't abandon us. That was about 3500 miles ago.
We don't know if he still works there or not.
Thanks for your opinion and advise.

Indiana Journey
Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
:(I am having problems with my Cummins turbo charger in my 2004 Journey.
This has been ongoing problem since 20,000 miles. Now we are just 18 days past warranty.
We are so frustrated with Winnebago and Cummins.
What would you do????
Is the turbo considered part of the engine? We were told when purchasing our 2008 Journey, the engine had a 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty.
ns09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #5

It has been replaced twice!! The last time about 3500 miles ago.
Our problem is that the 5 year warranty ran out about 18 days ago.
Hopefully, Cummins will see fit to fix it again since they haven't seemed able to do so up to now.
It is very frustrating to pull out of the driveway not knowing wheither we will get back without repairs being necessary to get back home.
Indiana Journey
Old 03-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Talk with your Cummins Rep. or the service manager at any Cummins shop. That most recent repair should have carried an interim warranty of something like 12 months and/or 12,000 miles independent of your original 5 year/100,000 mile new vehicle initial warranty. Your invoice for that job should address that issue. Does the most recent repair and last job warranty fall within the original warranty period? If it does, the 5/100 will most likely supercede it.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #7

I think the turbo is part of the engine.
You are right you do have a 5year/100,000 mile warranty.
Ours is 18 days past the 5 years
Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #8

You did not mention the type of failures you have had. The one time I saw multiple turbo failures was in a detroit that was caused by an obstruction in the oil lines to the turbo. May not apply to your situation but its a experiance I saw.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #9

Don't really know what kind of failures the two turbos had. The first was replaced after the "black box" failed. When the new "black box" was installed it gave a code that Cummins said to replace the turbo. The second was replaced when the "tech" erased the computer codes and they didn't know what else to do. After that they replaced the lift pump which didn't fix the problem. They finally replaced the filter inside the frame rail and declared it fixed again. All of this was paid for by Cummins and Freightliner over the last three years.
I don't know what the problem is, it has been there since around 20,000 miles. We now have 49,000 miles on the coach and can't seem to take a trip over 500 miles without problems.
The Cummins shop is supposed to call us tomorrow,we'll let you know what they say.
Indiana Journey
Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #10

I'm confused how the lift pump and "filter inside the frame rail" could affect the turbo. I believe these are fuel system components and should not be related to turbo problems.

Did the technician think there was a turbo problem and erroneously replaced it only to find out the real problem was the lift pump and filter?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #11

At this point, I don't know if anyone knows what the real problem is. Nothing they have done seems to have fixed the problem. The check engine light keeps comming on. Freightliner tech (Mar. 13) said it was a turbo problem again. We took it their because they are only 5 miles away compared to 100 miles away to Cummins. Cummins told us to take it there We are waiting to hear from Cummins again, today.
Just really frustrating!!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #12

Update; Cummins Rep called and told us to take motorhome to Cummins shop. They are to find the problem and fix it. Hopefully this time will be the last! When they are finished I will post their findings and the end results.
Indiana Journey
Old 03-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #13

Cummins of Fort Wayne called this morning. They are replacing the turbo charger for the third time. Has ANYONE else out there had this problem? And what are we to do with this motorhome????
Old 03-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
I hope that's not all they're doing. Unless and until someone takes the time and initiative to determine the root cause of these failures, I wouldn't have any assurance that this turbo won't share the same fate as the others.

The Holset turbochargers (Holset is a division of Cummins) are generally bulletproof, so I can just about guarantee you that some other factor is causing these turbochargers to fail.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote