Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #1

Head gasket?

I continued looking for a cracked manifold today. Looking down on the motor from the access panel I noticed coolant at the rear of the motor on top of the trans housing. I wiped it up and turned on the motor and observed for a bit. I then saw coolant oozing out where the head and the block meet. I am not a mechanic but I suppose this is where the head gasket is located. I just did an oil analysis from Blackstone last week and there was no coolant in the oil. I have been loosing coolant for awhile, replacing a gallon about every 500 miles. Now we are getting ready to take a 600 mile trip in a couple days. What do you think my problem is and should I cancel the trip?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Which engine model? At minimum you should have coolant system pressure tested to determine leak location.
Adding a gallon every 500 miles is alone a major red flag.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Which engine model? At minimum you should have coolant system pressure tested to determine leak location.
Adding a gallon every 500 miles is alone a major red flag.
It's an 8.3L turbo. Was also wondering if a head gasket sealant would work.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
It's an 8.3L turbo. Was also wondering if a head gasket sealant would work.
I'm not a believer in magic, but there are people who do....

A gallon every 500 miles is a very significant leak and should be easy to find by pressure testing it.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You could try a stop leak product, at this point it wouldn't hurt.

Last year an IRV2 member posted about a problem he had with his radiator. It developed a leak while on his way south from Alaska, he had the rig towed to a shop and found a replacement radiator was a long lead time so the shop suggested he use Irontite. It sealed the leak and he continued his trip to and actually waited several months before having it replace.

Worth a try.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #6

You need to be carefull with coolant leaks on diesel engines.

If the coolant gets to low, besides overheating and shutting down, the lack of coolant around the exhaust valves can cause cracks in the cylinder head.

Now the repair gets much more expensive.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #7

I agree with the stop leak. But I'm no pro on engine repairs.
Pappystoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #8

.........there's many, many places a motorhome can leak coolant.
If it's leaking at head gasket, then pour some stop leak in it, but be aware, the stuff gets it every crack, crevice in the entire cooling system, I've seen heater cores plugged with it.

But if by chance the leak is something else, a hose, a fitting or whatever, no stop leak will fix it.

........no offense, but this sounds like a issue you've had a while? I mean if you had to put a gallon of coolant in your daily driver car every 500 miles, how many gallons would you pour though it before taking it to someone to repair it? Yet it's ok for the motor coach to "use" this much coolant?

Please do yourself a favor, get someone to pressure test the cooling system, determine the leak, THEN come up with a plan for repair. If stop leak is your choice then rock on with it....
Peace!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Head gasket leaking could be caused by many things including a slight warp in the head. If it was mine I would take the head off, replace gasket, check head and block for flat (and correct if needed) and install new head bolts as the old ones are stretched.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #10

I had the same kind of leak only it was on the front of my 5.9.

I was on the road and had to get the leak stopped or take it to some garage and have some mechanic replace the head gasket which would pee me off because I could do it at home a lot cheaper and better.

So here is what I done.

I took out every head bolt and re-lubed them and installed them to torque spec individually.( I do carry a torque wrench)
That slowed down the leak some- but didn't stop it.

As I was cruising Walmart for ideas I came across a tube of gas tank sealer epoxy and I said WTH- I try it and as I was walking back to the MH I got the idea of driving the epoxy into the area of the leak with a flat blade screwdriver.

So I cleaned the area of the leak as best I could with with a knife blade working into the gasket area to clean it out and then brake cleaned and took a blunt screwdriver drove the mixed epoxy into that gasket area until I was satisfied and then threw a glop of epoxy over it and waited until the epoxy cured.
No more leaking and that was 7 years ago.

Oil analysis says no antifreeze in the oil..

Ain't the right way of doing it but it worked.
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:12 AM   #11

I took it to the shop yesterday and had a pressure test. The reading was eight. They also showed me where it was leaking which is what I suspected. They are putting on a new head gasket and also they are putting on a new muffler and some new exhaust pipe because I was getting fumes inside the coach. They pointed out the exhaust leaks to me. They are also changing the oil, all filters and lube the chassis. Any way, it all comes to about $1800. They guarantee their work and I thought that was a great price. Looks like we will go on our trip to Alabama on Saturday or Sunday. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #12

You've made the right choice. I think that $1800 for all that work is a very fair price.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
You've made the right choice. I think that $1800 for all that work is a very fair price.
Yup good choice!! I also think $1800. is fair given everything they are doing. If left it probably would cost you much more in the long run. Good luck!!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No doubt. Watch coolant level and oil pressure close on your next trip. If your back to normal Id say you just dodged a bullet. If the leak would have increased on the trip it could very well have been ugly.

Tags
gas