Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Head Gasket Failure ISL

My head gasket failed at the rear of #6 cylinder. Gasket is protruding outward. Its in the shop and the head has been determined to also be bad. A remanufactured Cummins head will be installed. The repair shop is going to change the engine oil and filter. Does anyone know if Cummins requires the coolant to be replaced? The warranty company wants to reuse the existing coolant.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would request a coolant analysis, if no oil it would probably be OK. I hydrocarbons present I would think you have a case for a flush and replacement.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I would request a coolant analysis, if no oil it would probably be OK. I hydrocarbons present I would think you have a case for a flush and replacement.
What is the recommended time or mileage to change the coolant?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
That depends on what type of coolant you're running and what your coolant analysis/testing/additive schedule has been.

Any idea what's in your system now and whether it's been checked and maintained properly?
Old 09-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my 2002 Windsor in 2008 with no maintenance records. First thing I did was take it to a Cummins shop for a complete service, they checked the coloant and said it was good.

I continued to test with the SCA strips, and changed the coolant filter annually, it always showed good but I started to get concerned in early 2015 so I took a sample and sent it to JG Lubrication for analysis. It tested as if it was new. At that point I had 102K miles on the rig.

So my advice is to test and if it test good, keep it, if not change.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If compression has been leaking into the coolant, it will have possibly added some unwanted by-products to your coolant. For the price of new coolant, it will give you added piece of mind and also demonstrate that you are someone that takes care of their equipment.
Also, you will not have to worry about changing the coolant for a good long time.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No way would I spend that much money, even if it's covered by an aftermarket warranty, and not replace the coolant. I would bite the bullet and pay for new coolant.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas