RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #1

I went to start the cummins today and it ran for about 2 min then the stop engine light came on.
I have a 05 alpine coach with a 400 isl cummins in it. The speedo has an actia diag screen for various items. The engine had an fmi code of "spn 111 fm1". Does anyone have any idea what this might mean. Cummins is closed until tomorrow.
I'm checking for loose wires and fluid levels right now.
One other note- the engine batteries were completely dead. Had to jump start to get her goin.

William Schnieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not having a Cummins, I can't help. But there is a very good website The Diesel Garage. It is free to join and they serve all diesel manufacturers, Cummins, Powerstroke and Duramax. They have two sections that would be of interest. One is a forum for emergency help, like you have now. The other is for Cummins owners.

Good luck!

K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #3

If you havnt already turn the chasis disconect off for a few minutes and see if the error goes away. Are the batteries charged now?
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #4

Ive tryed that And I still get the error code when starting. And yes the batteries are charged.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #5

The letters in your "error code" posting are not used by Cummins, and there is no Cummins code 11.

Cummins code 111 is "Engine Control Module Critical Internal Failure - Bad Intelligent Device or Component." I don't think this is your issue, tho it could be.

I checked the Annunciator & VDComputer Service Bulletin (soon to be posted on the ACA Tech page under Chassis), and it doesn't list anything like you are discussing. To be fair, that document may have been written for Bosch gauges on earlier coaches.

IIWY I'd check the ground connections. There is a main ground at the rear of the coach; it has 2 sides as the stud runs thru the frame member, so you have to tighten from the battery compartment side and then again at the inside of frame rail. There is another at the front bulkhead, where you'll need to tighten behind the panel in front of passenger's seat and then again on the other side of the front bulkhead with the gen slide open. Also check the chassis battery connections. Let us know how it resolves.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #6

Mike,
It is code 111, I double checked it.
Here is some history, when we were out at Quartzite in January it did the same thing. What had happened was the engine batteries died and when I went to start the coach there was nothing so we jump started it, it started and the stop engine light came on so I turned it off and went and checked all the fluids and visually checked wiring and such then restarted it and the light came on again, turned it off and did more visual inspection but found nothing, started it again and the light never came back on. Had no problems driving five hours back to California. So now we are leaving for Death Valley tomorrow and when I went to start it the same thing is happening. The last time i went to start it (About an hour ago)the light did not come back on. I'm curious if it has to do with the batteries. They are probably calcificated I'm sure.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #7

I'm thinking the need to jump start is related. Bad ground would explain that; could also be a bad hot that fails to charge, so check the positive cabling also. Again, there are two major thru-frame positive studs, one visible in the batt compartment (be VERRRY careful on the inside-frame side of this one as it is easy to ground out your wrench on other metal), and again next to the front thru-bulkhead ground stud (this inside positive stud is also easy to accidentally ground-strike, so careful here too).

If the Actia gauges report DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) that is news to me. I haven't heard that before.

If you firm up ground & positive main studs, then get the same thing, check the Vansco in the batt compartment for output LED#19; if that is lit, keep engine running & try starting the gen so it charges the batteries. If the condition goes away, it could be the ECM is getting bad voltage during a start and there is still a bad connection, but the ECM cancels the DTC once good voltage is present. If it doesn't go away, then shut off engine, keep gen running & restart. If condition goes away then the first process may have been holding the DTC condition till the engine shutdown, and I'd still be looking for a bad connection.

The ECM is holding DTC's as indicated by the Stop Engine light. You can have those read by somebody that has Cummins Insight software or Insight Lite. I think you are near Redlands Truck & RV (a sponsor here on iRV2) who can read the ECM's stored info. You may also locate a mobile truck repair outfit (maybe Redlands has a mobile setup??) that can come to the rig. Besides the DTC, the ECM may hold "freeze frame" data collected on the incident, auxiliary system conditions that could help explain the incident; that may not be present if it is only a bad voltage incident. Too bad we didn't get together on this @ Q'zite or I could have activated my software & read the codes for you.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #8

Mike & Everyone else,
Thank you for all your input, sorry it took me this long to get back to you. Long story short I was two gallons short of antifreeze. After I put the antifreeze in, the stop light quit coming on. I assumed that because I saw a little antifreeze in the sight glass of the res. tank it was o.k., but that wasn't the case. Now that all this has happened I'm currently researching a self-diagnostics device and or software program. You had mentioned you had one, what are you using and can you monitor it while driving, is it dash mounted or laptop?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
rex

Monaco Owners Club
That light could be in the wrong place on your dash. It may in fact be a 'Low Coolant' light.

Get your self VMSpc and run it on your laptop. It will capture all the cummins codes and provide better information while you are running than the dash gauges do. Go their web site and download the software for VMSpc. It is free and you can get an idea of what it offers. If you buy the system from them, you need to know if you have a 6 or 9 pin plug to connect it to. They can provide either. The system is a very small box that feeds data to your laptop. You will also need a serial to USB converter cable and drivers unless your laptop has a serial port. There is plenty of information on their site about this, or give them a call as they are very helpful.

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/

Have fun with it.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote