Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Have you removed the TPS? Perhaps there's a part number or mfg. name on it that Google can help you locate. I'm betting it's Williams brand
It was used in a lot of applications, you may even be able to take it apart and clean it.... I'll dig around in some old manuals I have tomorrow and see if I have anything on it

Try here, you may can reach out to these guys for a replacement controller:

http://www.cw-industrialgroup.com/Pr...ic-Foot-Pedals
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
OP coach will have a 6-pin J1708 diagnostic connector....and HD obd capable reader should be able to check ETC position, but MAY not show the engine brake voltages....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #17

I calibrated the Williams Throttle as well as replaced it with a genuine identical one. Still no avail. I just got back from a 30 mile test drive and the Jake Brake is not engaging at all.

I took a piece of wire and tested each of the solenoids on the head. Each one engages the brake when 12v is applied.
offtosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #18

I replaced the Williams Throttle Position Sensor/Foot pedal/Accelerator. I also calibrated it after install and went for a test drive of approximately 30 miles. The brake is not engaging AT ALL!

Next on the idea list?
Old 03-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #19

Just wanted to give everyone an update/solution. I finally broke down and took it to my local diesel mechanic (we live in a rural area and he fixes LOTS of rigs. From a school bus to big rigs). He hooked it up to the Cummins diagnostic/code read he had in his laptop and we were able to validate that the ECM was not receiving ANY signal when the pedal was depressed. The TPS was however working, the transmission would indeed lock-up and the ECM did have an accurate RPM range for it to work. He also went over all the settings when the brake should engage if the pedal signal was working.

Anyway, about a week later and $400 less in my bank account, he determined that the Jacobs foot switch wire had been pinched between the floor and the little angled pedestal they build for it. I told him not to trace it any further because I don’t want the bill to rise for something I could do myself.

Why it took 19 years to manifest, I’ll never know, but once I got the wire unpinched and bench tested it with a ohm meter, it’s working like a champ. I ohm tested both wire while wiggling the heck out of them. Again, I’m not sure how/why it happened but the brake is now working.

Hope this helps someone else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2031.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	237387
Old 03-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #20
TR4

Thanks for updating, this is very helpful!

Bill
Old 03-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Thanks for updating, this is very helpful!

Bill

The mechanics basic diagnosing technique was to split the system. From the switch to the relay and from the relay to the engine/ECM. As mentioned before, I knew the mechanical parts had worked included the solenoids at the head, the relay at the side panel as well as the foot pedal. What I would have never imagined was that a pinched wire would be intermittent as well as manifest itself 20 years after assembly.

I’ve worked on a lot of things and NEVER seen a situation where a pinched wire leads to this. But some many months ago when I took the switch apart, I guess moving the lead (no more than 6” in length) was enough to make it work again and then not work again later.

Who knows. Just glad it’s fixed and I can take a 8% grade with confidence. And if I ever have the problem again, I know exactly where to begin my search.

Tags
allison, brake, cummins