Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #1

High pitch whistle/squeal after turbo change

Hey gang, hoping someone can help me out.

After I replaced my turbo, I now have a high pitch whistle/squeal at high RPM's sitting in neutral and stepping on it ~3000 RPM's and when I'm accelerating hard like when the turbo kicks in.

Thinking it's a leak and from some searching, thinking its on the output side of turbo since I'm not noticing any performance issues. Bus takes off like it used to were you can feel the turbo kick in and bus zooms away. Just one hell of a squeal and as I let of just a little it goes away.

Exhaust side leaking?

Thanks for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Check the hose clamps on the "pressure" side of the turbo, one or more are just a tad loose.... (including all clamps to the engine intake.)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #3

Thanks. Now that the engine is cool I will check them all. Figured it must be something like that.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Check the hoses as well as they can split and cause that noise.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

Thank you again for the advice. Turned out I didn't have the iner cooler clamps on the boot farthest away from the turbo tight. Was confident I had everything on the turbo tight as I checked those all 3 times before I fired it up. Just forgot that one boot 3 feet away from the turbo.

That was a big job I've never done before, but now that I have a great garage, the right tools, and the Internet with folks like y'all, I'm finding there's just about no job to big.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf35099 View Post
Thank you again for the advice. Turned out I didn't have the iner cooler clamps on the boot farthest away from the turbo tight. Was confident I had everything on the turbo tight as I checked those all 3 times before I fired it up. Just forgot that one boot 3 feet away from the turbo.

That was a big job I've never done before, but now that I have a great garage, the right tools, and the Internet with folks like y'all, I'm finding there's just about no job to big.
Did that fix it??? A lot of the times a high pitch squeal is an exhaust leak at the turbo flange.

Save
BrantC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrantC View Post
Did that fix it??? A lot of the times a high pitch squeal is an exhaust leak at the turbo flange.

Save
It did fix the problem. The whistle was coming from when the boost would reach a point it could break the seal of the boot to metal. Running great and quite now like it should!!