Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hoses, when to change?

I have an 04 Fleetwood Revolution 38B with a Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP. Just wondering when the hoses should be changed? I'm talking any and all hoses. I also have a side radiator.
Thans
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A few days before they break!
Now, when will that be? Could be tomorrow or 10 years from now.
I was getting ready to change the coolant hoses and coolant on our '02 DSDP last year, then we traded it off.
Are you hoses getting stiff and bulging or are they still in good shape?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I inspect My hose and lines all of the time between trips , and their old - like 24 yrs old ! No permeation- No exterior rot -No Scuffing.
But It Never Sits for more than 45 days between runs.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have always used periodic inspections with replacement at 10 years even if they look ok. Has kept me off the side of the road.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So is the conclusion they dont need proactive replacement? Is that mostly because coolant and ambient temps generally remain moderate? I know most auto hoses (even relatively high quality silicon) wont go 15+ years..
jimmy braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #6

With the EGR engines running hotter both as coolant temp. and under the engine cover 10 years would be a good time to service those hoses, belts and change the coolant.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have always used periodic inspections with replacement at 10 years even if they look ok. Has kept me off the side of the road.
One of those 'Pay me now, or maybe pay much more later!' situations.

Ours were 10 years old, at least from the combo of month and year of engine build, and also several months later the year and month the coach rolled off the assembly line. (BUT, please note, hoses could have been bulked purchased and been older, with some manufactures much older, the the actual coach 'build date'.).

I figured it was cheap insurance to go pick the hoses I wanted (A combo of Gates and Cummins OEM, highest quality possible hoses.) (I looked closely at the Silicone Hoses available, but remained with conventional.), and have them installed on my schedule, at my shop. Vs, say on the road in 'Well here is what I can get you, and by the way, here is the price I'm charging. And as I'll never see you again, I'm not too worried about doing any of this work real carefully. Heck, I'll spend more time and effort assuring your credit card checks out OK, then doing the work!'

So, I replaced all of my hoses, and thermostat too, at the same time I had our radiator drained, flushed, cleaned, and flushed again - and covered to Final Charge coolant. Did it on my time, my schedule, my shop - and never impacted the wife or Princess Dawg during a delay in travel due to a failure@!

And at the end of another 10 years or so, I'll do it again!

Yep, cheap insurance is my thinking.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 AM   #8

Changed mine at 13 years. They still looked good. I figure I would need to change them at some point before I sell the RV so might as well do it sooner than later and get some peace of mind. No plans to sell the RV but I will most likely sell it before I need to change hoses again!
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to jpollard62
What did it cost you to get all the hoses replaced??
jpollard62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I inspect My hose and lines all of the time between trips , and their old - like 24 yrs old ! No permeation- No exterior rot -No Scuffing.
But It Never Sits for more than 45 days between runs.
Yep!!! 18 years for us. But we take excellent care of this coach and watch everything about it. We are the original owners.

In other words... Keep a vigil eye on your hoses and change them when they appear warn.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I had my coach at the Spartan factory last year for service and asked them to replace the hoses due to their being 10 yr old. They talked me out of it.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #12

10-15 years gets my vote. I just did all mine as we bought a 20 year old coach and didnt know if they had ever been changed. Relatively inexpensive. All were available from freightliner for our unit. Don't forget the heater hoses. New hoses and fresh coolant makes me a bit more relaxed out in the middle of the desert.
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Are you doing the job yourself or hiring it out?

If you're hiring it out you can wait until it breaks, the only difference will be the tow and inconvenience.

If you're doing it yourself you can shop the parts, do it at your convenience and have peace of mind. I have a strong adversion to sitting alongside the road broke down and would change them now.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I do not proactively replace hoses based on age alone, but some people do. I do check the hoses (and belts) every year and replace any that have anything at all suspicious. Modern materials hold up really well and hoses in a decently running engine should last 20+ years easily.

The 13 YO coach I just sold had all hoses still in excellent condition, but the serpentine belt has replaced 4 years ago and the a/c compressor belt 6 years ago..
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote