RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #1

Houston Area Cummins Injector Pump Replacment Recomendations

I have a 2002 Fleetwood Expedition with a 5.9 Cummins that has had a persistent problem of missing and throwing a checking engine light when under heavy load. I originally thought it was exceeding egt's and defueling, but that was a random guess. The engine runs great with no signs of trouble. The check engine light will blink for a split second then go out when the engine "misses". I have the coach at Freightliner of Houston for some other work and asked them to pull the code to determine the problem. They came back with bad injector pump with a replacement cost of $4800.

Few other details. The engine has an after market lift pump pushing 10-14 psi that was installed about 4-5k miles ago. Factory lift pump was pushing 1-2 psi prior to replacement. Also has an additional fuel filter installed at the same time as lift pump. Engine has just under 50k miles.

Can anyone diagnosis the problem or confirm if this sounds like an injector pump issue? If indeed it needs a new pump can anyone recommend a reputable shop in the Houston area that will have better pricing than Freightliner.

Thanks,
Adam

acm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Adam,
Make sure your filters are not restricting fuel flow. I would recommend fresh filters if you haven't already done so. Make sure you have found all of the filters. Some coach makers have filters on the frame as well as the "original" fuel filter(s) on the engine. Is the engine temperature within limits when making these "hard" pulls. I am sure others will help you diagnose this. Good Luck.

Happy Motoring
Don & Susan

2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #3

Might try this guy

I contacted Heitman truck repair in Houston 2 weeks ago when I thought I might have a fuel pump issue. I had used Heitman for front end work before and trusted them. Bob said they didn't do engine work but they sent their engine work to PJ's truck service. Bob said that this guy was well liked in the Houston area and they felt good about sending people to him.
I spoke over the phone with PJ's but didn't need their services, my issue was a electronic sensor I fixed myself.
Here's the number 713-984-4519
Mikee
Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #4

OP - Before the replacement of the OEM Lift Pump and new filter, were you seeing any evidenced of engine performance problems?

Fuel starvation to the Injector Pump could cause these symptoms, and also could have caused pump overheating, thus problems, in a short period of time.

Did the Freightliner shop do anything more then pull the code for you? Or did they try testing fuel pressure along the way? If these are the same filters installed back when you had the Lift Pump replaced and extra filter added on, have this shop replace them before you try to move the coach to the next location. (Yep, what 4Fingres recommended...)

PJ's sounds like it might be worth the costs of having a full inspection and diagnostic run to determine root cause, and or if it is a code be tossed off due to fuel starvation problem...

Best of luck to you, and please close the loop back with he rest of this story...
Smitty
Old 04-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #5

FWIW I was having codes and power loss several times per trip..Once or twice per day. (2000 5.9 Cummins) I checked the multi pin round plug that connects the engine to the chassis and found the locking ring was not locked. I unplugged it, smeared some dialectic grease on the female end, plugged it in and made sure the ring clicked as it locked. Many 1000 miles later, no problems.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #6

Thanks to all those who have replied. To answer a few questions. Both fuel filters are new and have no affect on the condition. Freightliner pulled the codes and recommended replacement based on the saved code. I had them replace the factory fuel filter housing due to a drip caused by the new lift pump building more pressure then the original, 10-14 psi. Once the housing was replaced they drove it for 2 hours and are able to replicate the condition, but only under heavy load. The condition existed before and after the new lift pump was installed. The new lift pump is a FASS, just FYI. The MH has an analog gauge installed at the filter housing so pressures are confirmed. The original lift pump was producing 5-7 psi when disconnected, new pump maintains 10 psi minimum. I also installed a warning light in the dash that illuminates if fuel pressure drops below 5 psi. I don't recall it ever coming on while driving.

I have bought a scanner that will read, clear, and live stream data. I plan on clearing all codes and driving it to see what codes return over time. I have been told there are a few other items that can trigger similar the condition such as transmission servos among other things. If it's determined it needs to be replaced I plan on doing it myself as I can get a replacement pump for about $1200. I plan on replacing the injectors at the same time if I do the pump.

Again I thank everyone for their input and will keep you posted as things progress.

Adam
acm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #7

Try calling Weaver Dodge in Kirbyville TX, it may be a bit far from Houston depending on the part of houston you are starting in though.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #8

Weavers is a great place to do businesses with. Have bought 4 vehicles from them. Kenny's dad ran the businesses for ever so Kenny knows motors. Not sure though that they do motorhomes. But hey, it's worth the call. Their honest people.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:13 PM   #9

Speaking From Experience

All of the Cummins work performed on my "Antique" Discovery (21 years old) has been performed by Womack Diesel and RV Service in Seguin, Texas, and I can't say enough good things about them. No, I have no financial interest. That's about two hours west of Houston but less than a half hour from San Antonio and a bit southwest of some of the best BBQ in central Texas. If you talk with Shane he may have a 50/30 amp plugin available along with a potable water supply. It works for me but may not be a doable setup for a couple. Shane generally answers the phone, (800) 221-8634. Just tell him cash cow Kit from Beaumont sent you.

Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins