Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #1

How do I change my own oil on a DP???

Hello Again! Now that I know what oil to use, what recommendations can you give me on how to get 22 quarts of oil in a container when changing the oil without a mess??? Do I use the MH hydraulics to lift the rear to change the oil?? I have read from several of you to use good quality filters, what is considered a good quality filter?? Anything that is sold by Cummins?? Or filters that are sold by Napa?? Since I'm new using a diesel engine what other good filter can you recommend??? Thank You!!!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #2

I use the lower part of a 55 gallon drum that i cut the top off of. It think it's about 12" tall and easily holds my 17 qts. I'm sure it would easily hold 50 or more.

I Do not use the levelers to raise the rear. Mine has plenty of clearance for me under it.

I use NAPA filters for oil and fuel. I know some on here warn against that but it feel they (Wix) make a good filter.

Good luck on your servicing of your coach. It's not that hard once you get going and saves you lots of cash.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post

I Do not use the levelers to raise the rear. Mine has plenty of clearance for me under it.

Chad
x2
Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
First oil change I used two 5 gallon buckets with lids, from a painter friend. When the first bucket is 2/3 full push it out of the way with the second empty bucket. Snaps the lids on and drop them off at Walmart.

Change the drain plug to a Fumoto Valve Fumoto USA | Quick and Easy Engine Oil Drain Valves Save your empty 1 gallon oil containers and the next oil change will be MUCH simpler and cleaner.

I buy Fleetguard filters online as they are about the same price as the other filters after no sales tax and delivered to my door. I am currently under warranty so I have to stay with Fleetguard to avoid any problems. I have used Baldwin in my last DP, as they were given to me, and they worked fine too.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #5

Before you drain the oil make sure you have a plan for putting the new oil in ... sometimes it's not easy !!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Changing the oil is only 25% of an "annual service..There are the fuel filters (and probably a water filter). Then greasing the chassis and finally servicing the generator (oil, oil & fuel filters).
I NEVER crawl under the MH without using jack stands. We've lost at least one member who was only going to be there a second.
Wally World has a 20'ish gallon galvanized wash tub we use.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have the Cummins operator manual, if so read it.

The oil filter on my ISC350 is on the drivers side toward the back of the engine and is hard to get to. I have a strap wrench that I bought at the local Peterbuilt shop that I can put a cheater bar on to make it easier to get off. After removing the old filter, on my Cummins, they recommend prefilling the new filter which adds a level of PITA to get on without spilling.

Next to my oil filter is the Coolant filter, I would change this also, I get the charge type to condition my coolant.

As suggested, there is more to maintenance then just oil and filter. Fuel Filters annually or if you have problems with how the engine is running. Air Filter every 3 years ( or sooner). Greasing, I do mine ~3 times a year. Differential oil on the rear and grease the front if not oil bath. Check your serpentine belt, I would change and keep the old one as a spare. Hydraulic filters if you have them, change as needed.

Good Luck & welcome to the wonderful world of DP's.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #8

May not work for everyone, but I found that by turning my coach around and pulling it into where I park it next to the garage front wise. I can hang the tail end over the street about 5', and that gives me a bit more room to get up under the engine and trans area. (I used blocks and back in over the curb to park, so no sloping driveway.). I'm also lucky that it is a wide street, and with an oragnge home depot bucket about two feet behind the coach, I have a pretty good buffer.

I'm also in the school of do not crawl under your air hieight controlled coach, without good blocks or stands. Or with all air dumped, but then for me, I'm not able to crawl under it then!

Unless you are going to do all of your service mentioned above, might be just as good to find a shop to do it for you. Bringing your own filters and oil if you like. Me personally, when I have shops do my major services using oil and filters (or other parts) that I provide - I always pay a bit extra over what they charge me. They're their to run a business, and make money. Part of their profit formula is on parts products profits. So for my oil change and all filter swap outs (fuel/oil/etc.) I pay an extra $25 on the bill. I'm more interested in using the parts that I want to use, and to also validate the Shelf Life dates are still good (Do some searches on this board under filters, and also under Class A board too. Many do not know that filters, especially air cartridges have a shelf life. Many times the bargains of internet priced name brand filters, are because they're past their shelf lives.). I feel this is fair to the shops, and if they can't make a profit, they may not be their when I need them the next time! On a full service, I still feel I come out a bit less then the normal costs of if I brought nothing with me in parts or oil.

Best, and once you get caught up on this baseline maintenance - go have some fun!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #9

How to Change the Oil on a DP

Thanks for all of the information on how to change my oil, I will try to do most of the work that I can myself and what ever I cannot or if I find it too difficult to do I will find a good local shop in my area, again THANKS for your help!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I use two 20 qt (I think) containers from Autozone (and other stores) for about $10 each.

Place them on large pieces of cardboard and slide them around when one is @ 3/4 full.

The Autozone containers have a pour nozzle and cap which allows pouring the old oil into the containers that the new oil came in. Carry the oil to the Recycle center.

I do not lift the MH as there is plenty of room under the oil drain location. I do put one of the jack stands from my 12 ton pair under the trailer hitch as a precaution.

If you need more room, make ramps for your rear wheels with 2 x 10 lumber stacked three or four high and fastened together.

BTW, the cardboard I use works great as a spill adsorbent on my concrete driveway. So I use lots of it. The wide screen TV that came in the box is 5 years old now.

Do not forget to change the oil filter at the same time.

I buy my filters at FilterBarn.com. The prices seem to be much lower than local retail outlets. Typically I will buy a year's worth of filters to get free shipping and keep some on the shelf for the next procedure.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote