Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

How many fuel filters in my coach and would old filters cause overheating?

Our 2008 Excursion 40X needs the fuel or water separator filter(s) changed. Not sure what I'm talking about, as you can probably tell. We're trying to get a quote from the RV service place where we have it stored, and they said they'd need to know how many filters in order to give us a quote. Where can we find this information? It's a Cummins 360 engine, if that helps.

Also, we were told that old filters could cause the engine to overheat. Does that sound plausible? We had an overheating problem where the entire coach shut down on us at one point, and adding a little water to the radiator fixed it, but it was still threatening to overheat several times after that.

Any advice?

Thanks!
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Our 2008 Excursion 40X needs the fuel or water separator filter(s) changed. Not sure what I'm talking about, as you can probably tell. We're trying to get a quote from the RV service place where we have it stored, and they said they'd need to know how many filters in order to give us a quote. Where can we find this information? It's a Cummins 360 engine, if that helps.

Also, we were told that old filters could cause the engine to overheat. Does that sound plausible? We had an overheating problem where the entire coach shut down on us at one point, and adding a little water to the radiator fixed it, but it was still threatening to overheat several times after that.

Any advice?

Thanks!
I would ask the service tech from the RV service place to look at your filters and then give you a quote....IMO, you should not have to know that information to get an accurate quote, and the correct filters, from a "professional".

BTW, I don't believe that fuel filters can have anything to do with "overheating" issues.
A raditor/CAC, (charge air cooler, inter cooler) that needs cleaning is the most common cause of overheating.
Ask the service tech to check that/those as well.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a mobile truck service mech to do my service on my C7. Does good work and the price beats the heck out of an RV place.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why not take the coach to your local Freightliner shop. Have them go through the needed maintenance items with you.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
I would ask the service tech from the RV service place to look at your filters and then give you a quote....IMO, you should not have to know that information to get an accurate quote, and the correct filters, from a "professional".

BTW, I don't believe that fuel filters can have anything to do with "overheating" issues.
A raditor/CAC, (charge air cooler, inter cooler) that needs cleaning is the most common cause of overheating.
Ask the service tech to check that/those as well.

Mel
'96 Safari
I wholeheatedly agree and if they can't/won't, I would take my business elsewhere. No patience with incompetence when dealing with these expensive toys.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Anyone else care to offer an opinion on the overheating?
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
It is highly and very unlikely your heating issue is from a fuel filter condition, low power would be a filter sign. Over heating is from lack of cooling for what ever reason
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It's a rear radiator? Probably has a dirty radiator/charge air cooler due to the breather tube.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
See my post (#2)
Mel
Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
it would be a pretty far stretch to say an old fuel filter would cause overheating
but....if its clogged and your on the throttle because of low power...........nope you need fuel to create power and heat
might run bad, but overheating is probably not going to happen, it could but i would say it would be very low on the list at maybe 250.

dirty radiator, bad water pump, low coolant, to high or to low oil levels, oil sludged up, water pump belt missing
radiator fans not working, right foot to the floor climbing a hill or long grade, plugged air filter, GVW,

your engine came form cummins with at least one fuel filter
the chassis or the coach builder may have added one more
your coach builder can tell you, and F/L 800 service number can give you the filter numbers it left them with
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #11

Picking mine up tomorrow from the shop. The shop Forman said that when they cleaned the charge air cooler with purple power it looked like someone had spilled gallons of oil. Btw my slobber tube is extended and I still have this issue. It's from years of use with out cleaning.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Try Calling northeast cummins in Dedham MA.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Your coach is most probably a rear radiator coach Any rear radiator coach regardless of manufacturer or the type of engine need to have the radiator and CAC cleaned at least once a year. If you do a search on cleaning the rear radiator or cleaning the radiator on this forum you will find volumes of information on this subject. As far as the filters are concerned on my coach one is located in the side compartment on the drivers side towards the rear where the hydraulic jack reseviour is there will most probably be a filter there then if you have doors in the rear cap look for one on the rear passenger side. Both are most probably easy to access .

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Your coach is most probably a rear radiator coach Any rear radiator coach regardless of manufacturer or the type of engine need to have the radiator and CAC cleaned at least once a year.
bdpreece
I have heard the "once a year" recommendation before but based on my experience once a year is overkill.

My rear radiator and CAC were cleaned for the first time in '05, (at 78,000 miles), when I had an overheat issue.
The CAC was plastered with a "black oily grease like" substance, (with only a 12-15" diameter opening remaining in the center).
It that time I relocated the "slobber tube" and added a shroud around the perimeter of the back of the radiator, (between the radiator frame and the rear fiberglass cap), to force the hot air exiting the radiator out through the grill, (thereby preventing the hot air from "short cycling" around the radiator/CAC and back through the CAC/rardiator?).

Last week they were cleaned again, (for only the the second time in 17 years, 132k miles).
After those additional 8 years, (54k miles), I found that everything was still relatively clean....(I would guess I could have driven a few more years before a cleaning was necessary).

Mel
'96 Safari, 250hp 3126 Cat

Tags
fuel, heating