Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

How old is too old, unused filters?

I was going to bug Spike45 with a PM, but when searching did not find much info about this so thought it might be pertinent to others.

Hold is too old for say fuel filters. Never used, still in the plastic wrap. What is a safe shelf life for these? (I bought some filters from a form DP owner, and they are now between 5-6 years old.) These are all Fleetguard, and were the current filters for our ISL370.)

I know air cleaners have a shelf life, and of course a usage life. Regardless of air restriction readings, I'm going to change our air filter on a three year schedule.

Would aged fuel filters be dangerous to use, say in a bad fuel load situation, where you need to change them frequently until the 'gunk/water' is worked out?

Or, could the breakdown like air cleaners, and actually cause more damage then good?

I hate to see them go to waste, but will get rid of them if they are at any risk to the engine.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #2

I have never seen a expiration date on filters. AS long as they are in the original plastic wrapping and it has not been open I would use them.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

As long as the rubber gasket is okay, they should be fine.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I was going to bug Spike45 with a PM, but when searching did not find much info about this so thought it might be pertinent to others.

Hold is too old for say fuel filters. Never used, still in the plastic wrap. What is a safe shelf life for these? (I bought some filters from a form DP owner, and they are now between 5-6 years old.) These are all Fleetguard, and were the current filters for our ISL370.)

I know air cleaners have a shelf life, and of course a usage life. Regardless of air restriction readings, I'm going to change our air filter on a three year schedule.

Would aged fuel filters be dangerous to use, say in a bad fuel load situation, where you need to change them frequently until the 'gunk/water' is worked out?

Or, could the breakdown like air cleaners, and actually cause more damage then good?

I hate to see them go to waste, but will get rid of them if they are at any risk to the engine.

Best to all,
Smitty
5 years is maximum shelf life per Fleetguard. Likely the same or close for other brands. Some filters even with shrink wrap experience rusting of the nut plate on a spin on filter. Most paper filters experience property changes in the resin binders in the media. Depending on the brand, the date codes may differ. On Fleetguard product there is a 5 digit code such as 09014 which would correspond to the 14th day of 2009. I do not know about Baldwin, Wix, Fram, Donaldson, etc. You can contact them as most have a toll free customer number.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #5

Thanks all!

Gary -Thanks for the code on the expiration date. I asked two different places if they knew how to determine the age of a filter, and both said they did not know... Will check the dates. The cost to replace an expired filter, is much less then the cost of an engine!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oil filters. Q: Do oil filters expire?
A: No, oil filters do not expire. Make sure you're getting a good quality oil filter for the high mileage engine, not just the cheapest one you can find. Nothing e... Read More »
Source: answers.yahoo.com
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
A: No, oil filters do not expire. Make sure you're getting a good quality oil filter for the high mileage engine, not just the cheapest one you can find. Nothing e... Read More »
Are you serious? You show a link to some search engine where it is unknown about the responder's qualifications to answer. Do you really believe that? Always check with the filter manufacturer re their products. In my case, I can authoritatively speak for Fleetguard products having been a field service engineer for 23+ years. Product date codes and expiration is a common topic of our customers.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
The choice is yours but why would you believe uneducated opinions over an educated one? I'm sure if I searched the Internet hard enough I could find ocean front property in Montana.
From reading some of his other posts it seems that Spike45 has little patience for ignorant opinions (ignorant meaning a lack or knowledge) on something he has spent a long career dealing with.
I never thought about it but will for sure be checking the date codes on the spare oil and fuel filters that I have been carrying around with me for way to long.
I for one value Spike45's knowledge.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #9

Yep on the 'In Spike We Trust!' - thus my reason for posting instead of PM.

My newest spare filter, expired in 08247 - oldest was an 06 year. Down to three each of the two fuel filters.

Out they go, and I'll order new ones. Just not wort the risk.

Smitty
Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #10

My problem is this: if the age is important, why don't filter manufacturers clearly state the born date and/or expire date, one or the other? It appears Fleetguard does, but why do they put it in a code that most people aren't aware of, apparently not even some of the vendors. The baker of my loaf of bread does better than that.

I wonder how many shops sell filters past their expiration date.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
laj

as long as their kept clean and free of moisture I don't think it makes any difference. now if your talking 30 yrs. that different. I buy mine by the case for various applications and might be 10 yrs. till I use the last one. never had a problem and don't expect to. I would be willing to take all new filters being thrown away because of supposed age. jmo
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer6 View Post
My problem is this: if the age is important, why don't filter manufacturers clearly state the born date and/or expire date, one or the other? It appears Fleetguard does, but why do they put it in a code that most people aren't aware of, apparently not even some of the vendors. The baker of my loaf of bread does better than that.

I wonder how many shops sell filters past their expiration date.
probably because they figuring on when a filter is purchased, its going to be used then not half a decade later.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Air filters are also in the group of oil, fuel filters.
And yes some supply places do sell out of date filters, I purchased a Wix that was 8 years old and Wix replaced it as they did not want it put in service.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #14

edallsails: I am afraid you just lost any credibility on this forum. Yahoo answers would be like asking your barber. Someone who you do not know with no known experience answers a question. Anyone who reads that junk and believes it must think that anything you read on the net must be true!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote