Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #1

I Broke It!

Went to change my coolant filter today. The PLASTIC shutoff valve was stuck pretty good so I knew it was likely to break - it did! About half broke away and half is still there, so I quit. There seems to be a screw in the middle of it. I'm thinking take it to the shop but I hate to give up that easily! Its a hard spot to reach for an old guy. Anyone else dealt with this?
Thanks!
Mark and Anita - First Timers, West Tennessee. 2002 Monaco Diplomat 40ft, Cummins ISC330, Allison 3000, Amsoil Lubricants stem to stern, 2013 Ford Edge AWD TOAD with Roadmaster Falcon 2 and a Brakemaster
Md11fpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Need Pic's
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 PM   #3

Yes, I did the exact same thing on a 400 ISL. It’s important that you turn the shut off valve with the shaft end, and not the handle end. The shaft end is the one next to the oil filter. The handle end just has a screw holding it onto the shaft.
When I broke mine it started leaking coolant. So I had to remove the whole coolant filter mount. Install a new shaft and “o” rings on the shaft.
There was one of the 4 bolts on the mount that was difficult to get to but in the end I got it fixed.
I had to drain the coolant reservoir before I removed the mounting bracket, but I still got a little shower when the mount dropped off.
Brett
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Yes, I did the exact same thing on a 400 ISL. It’s important that you turn the shut off valve with the shaft end, and not the handle end. The shaft end is the one next to the oil filter. The handle end just has a screw holding it onto the shaft.
When I broke mine it started leaking coolant. So I had to remove the whole coolant filter mount. Install a new shaft and “o” rings on the shaft.
There was one of the 4 bolts on the mount that was difficult to get to but in the end I got it fixed.
I had to drain the coolant reservoir before I removed the mounting bracket, but I still got a little shower when the mount dropped off.
Brett
Yep like Bneukam says, but it's a lot easier to change from the top when the turbo and the broken exhaust manifold is off
PRO-BILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Me too. The valve is replaceable--two years ago it cost me about $155 at Cummins with shipping. You got good advice to change that filter when you change the oil so you can use the lever between the coolant and oil filter. Switch to an OAT coolant and you can forget changing that filter regularly. Cummins sells an empty filter for use with OAT coolants.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

Thanks, everyone. I didn't even look at the other side before now. But it looks like plastic just like the other side. I'm going to fabricate a wrench to see if I can turn it without dropping my new oil filter...I suspect it will break too. Hasn't been turned or filter changed for almost 4 years.
Mark and Anita - First Timers, West Tennessee. 2002 Monaco Diplomat 40ft, Cummins ISC330, Allison 3000, Amsoil Lubricants stem to stern, 2013 Ford Edge AWD TOAD with Roadmaster Falcon 2 and a Brakemaster
Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

Corrosion Resistor
1 206963 Filter Head Adapter
2 3008469 Pipe Plug 3/4 NPT
3 3316053 Corrosion Resistor
4 3818885 O-Ring Seal
5 3900631 Hexagon Flange Head Cap Screw M8 X 1.25 X 25.
6 3943738 Corrosion Resistor Head
7 3943739 Shut-Off Valve Shaft
8 3943740 Shut-Off Valve Shaft
9 3943744 Corrosion Resistor Gasket
10 943857 O-Ring Seal
11 3944454 Self Tapping Metal Screw
Old 02-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #8

To replace that plastic shaft, I had to take down the whole bracket. Even with the oil filter off there was not enough room to take out the shaft end.
To make matters worse Cummings gave me the wrong O rings and it still leaked after install. Had to take it all back down again.
They say you should exercise it once a year to keep it from sticking, or just leave it alone.
Cheap plastic that close to the engine is just bad design.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #9

Thanks! Nice diagram. How do I drain cooling system with no petcock?
Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Md11fpilot View Post
Thanks! Nice diagram. How do I drain cooling system with no petcock?
The best way is to loosen one end of the lower radiator hose. The lower outlet is easy to get off, but mine didn't have a gasket on it from the factory. It had silicone sealant on it so you might want to order the gasket in advance.

That part number is 3913032.