Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Idling vs cool down/warm up

So I've seen mixed messages. I'm really looking for those with 100k+ miles and their driving ritual. I've got a ISC 8.3l Cummins and my main areas of concern are the CAPS, lift pump and exhaust manifold cracking.

So for the later, since I don't have an EGT gauge to monitor exhaust temps I'm currently letting the DP idle for 10ish minutes after a long haul to a destination. I also Idle about 5-10 minutes before takeoff and limit boost until the engine shows 180degs. I also try not to give full boost unless I really have too.

Is this too much unneeded babying?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #2

Oh BOY! This topic brings out the very best and the very worst in people. Get the popcorn and have a seat!
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #3

Personally, once the RPM's drop down to under 1,000 for a minute or so, the turbo is no longer being exercised, so I shut my Cummins 5.9 down. Waiting until the temp gauge gets to 180 or 190 degrees could take longer. After owning turbocharged engines in boats, Volvo's and Detroit's, plus turbos in 4 high-performance cars, the mechanics that service these beasts are all in agreements, once they spool down and the engine RPM's is basically at idle, it's fine to turn the key off.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Oh BOY! This topic brings out the very best and the very worst in people. Get the popcorn and have a seat!
LOL. Yes, I kinda expect it. Given the owners manual says to avoid excessive idling...but doesn't define excessive, i just wonder if my 10minutes is just more insurance,actually bad for it or not bad or good .
Old 02-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #5

I do have an EGT gauge and I can tell you that if you drive a block or so at slow speed through town, stop and put the Transmission in Neutral, the EGT will drop to 400-450 deg. F in under a minute. That's as low as the EGT will go at idle.
At idle with the Transmission in gear the EGT will hang around 550-600 Deg. F.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I do have an EGT gauge and I can tell you that if you drive a block or so at slow speed through town, stop and put the Transmission in Neutral, the EGT will drop to 400-450 deg. F in under a minute. That's as low as the EGT will go at idle.
At idle with the Transmission in gear the EGT will hang around 550-600 Deg. F.
That's good info. I'm assuming the EGT came with the Banks install? I'm weighing adding one after the turbo.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #7

Yes, I installed the banks kit when I replaced the cracked manifold. For accuracy pre turbo is best but after works also.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, I installed the banks kit when I replaced the cracked manifold. For accuracy pre turbo is best but after works also.
Hi Dennis, When I had the diesel fuel pump replaced at Rocky Mountain Cummins, they disconnected my Banks system. So, both my gauges register ZERO. I can see where they have the wires coiled and zip-tied to the engine compartment but have no idea where to attach them. As I recall, one wire is black and one is gray/white. Any ideas where they might go? I truly miss those 2 gauges.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Hi Dennis, When I had the diesel fuel pump replaced at Rocky Mountain Cummins, they disconnected my Banks system. So, both my gauges register ZERO. I can see where they have the wires coiled and zip-tied to the engine compartment but have no idea where to attach them. As I recall, one wire is black and one is gray/white. Any ideas where they might go? I truly miss those 2 gauges.
Sorry to hear that. Not sure why but maybe it just didn't fit into the Cummings book of rules. Have you tried going on the banks site for a manual and diagram? I have one but it's paper so if you can source one online would be better. If not, PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Not sure why but maybe it just didn't fit into the Cummings book of rules. Have you tried going on the banks site for a manual and diagram? I have one but it's paper so if you can source one online would be better. If not, PM me and I'll see what I can do.
I was told by one of the Cummins mechanics they are supposed to disconnect any "unauthorized" enhancements like the Banks systems. As a side note, these same rocket scientists zeroed out the mileage on the odometer when they reprogramed the ECM. I went round and round with Cummins Corporate issue. Finally got a call from the service manager in Billings, MT. He said to bring it in and they would update the mileage for me. How frequently does anyone travel through Billings, MT? I keep adding it to the end of my trip list and have yet to get back there, but if I ever decide to sell this rig, the mileage needs to be correct, so maybe this summer/fall, on the way to no place, I'll get it corrected.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
I will say that from the manufacturer they say that: the amount you drive from pulling off the Interstate highway to your stopping point is sufficient to cool down the turbo. My experience has led me to feel this is about right. As for warm up, I always just take off as soon as my air pressure hits the full point, and I've finished my pre-drive checklist. About 5 to 10 minutes typically.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
I will say that from the manufacturer they say that: the amount you drive from pulling off the Interstate highway to your stopping point is sufficient to cool down the turbo. My experience has led me to feel this is about right. As for warm up, I always just take off as soon as my air pressure hits the full point, and I've finished my pre-drive checklist. About 5 to 10 minutes typically.
I would agree. What brought this up was my last trip was in the southern mountains where the state park was nestled into a mountain. After a few grades up and down pushing nearly max boost and using exhaust brake the thought hit me. But it seems it really doesn't take long too cool down to an acceptable range and low engine speeds anyway.