Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
We have a 42' Monaco Windsor with an ISL400 Cummins engine. I have no complaints. We just made a trip over the rockies on I-80 and the coach powered up hills with no problems whatsoever. Most of the time we were passing semis in the climbing lane. For a 45' with tag axle and a bit more weight you might need a few more horses, but the 400 is no slouch. We have a 2 stage engine brake that makes coming down the hills almost effortless too.
Sure wish my old 97 C8.3 had an engine brake, too! All mine has is an exhaust brake and I definitely have to manually downshift while using my exhaust brake as from all accounts there is no comparison. The engine brake must be really nice to have!
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I have a stock ISC350. My boost varies between 22-26 depending on whether or not I have lubed my waste gate. Gains are hard to quantify by perception alone. Confirmation bias and noise are powerful motivators in spite of our best intentions. The only way to minimize this is to put it on a dyno and normalize the atmospheric influence. A standard installation is essential, that is, EGT measure before or after the turbo, etc.

Your install is likely the CAPS version. There is little available that will make a significant difference, IMO. While you can spend money on doodads, at the end of the day you will probably stay in the same campground with the same arrival time getting about 7.3 mpg towing, 8.3 if you don't. You will enjoy life more by saving your money to spend on good whiskey. If you want to make some real gains trade up to a MH with an ISM.

IMHO
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #17

Are you folks just removing the Muffler? I have a 2009 Itasca Meridian with the ISB 6.7, which also has that large heavy Dpf filter on it. Would be nice to eliminate that as well.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #18

I have the Banks Power Pac on my ISC. The only thing it won't climb is a Peeled Tree. Unfortunately, it is no longer manufactured.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #19

For the last year I have been working with a water/menthol system from Snow Performance. We have a 04 Essex with a 500ISM engine with a total weight of 50K pounds. With the water/menthol systems we are able to pull 6plus% long grades at 55mph in 5th gear when before we were down to 45-48 in 4th gear. Total cost around a 1000$ and a little extra work after full days driving to refill tanks. I think about 5% of RVer's would be willing to do a project like this but the results speak for them self. A lot cheaper then a 600 engine. Tom
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #20

Propane Injection

Most of the truck drivers I know that want increased performance and increased fuel mileage add propane injection to their trucks. I am surprised no one here seems to talk about it, since we all already have a propane tank on the vehicle.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Before exploring increasing HP and torque, assuming you have an Allison transmission, you should enter your serial # HERE to find out it's limitations. No point increasing the engine power if the transmission can't handle it!
Good advice. Allison 3000/4000s are torque/HP limited, not weight limited.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #22

As to either propane or water/menthol there are a lot of advantages to the later. Propane injection would cost a lot more both for the system and then the use. Propane would not be as safe to use as water/menthol. Only use 25 to 40% menthol which is very safe mix. The water/menthol also helps keep intake system clean. Have not had a EGR problems since using it.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, cummins, motorhome