Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

Intermittent power issue on 2002 Monaco Windsor lift pump

I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor that will intermittently not start due to power not getting to the lift pump. This has caused an issue several times and the coach is currently stuck in Wyoming at a Cummings repair shop. Incidentally the coach has been at Cummings for over a week and I'm trying to get back to Georgia sooner than later.

During my last trip to Cummings they could not recreate the issue and said the pump checked out and updated some type of software on the computer.

Does anyone know if there is a relay that could possibly be sticking? If so, could you please identify the relay?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Matt
Mblake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #2

First, welcome to IRV2 - and great era for Monaco Windsor'sL)!

Second. Clean all of the electronic connections to the Lift Pump. Have someone else turn on the key, and make sure you hear if it's kicking on.

I'll assume that a Cummins shop will know that 2002 CAPS era Lift Pump fed ISC's and ISL's - had known problems gasket leaks from the shift to ULSD(?). So normal diagnostics should look for any signs of leakage, and or excess air getting in via the short period of time the Lift Pump is running.

No real rocket science on Lift Pumps. Key goes on, juice flows to the Lift Pump to say run and lift the fuel to the CAPS - and boom X's 6 Cylinders as the engine fires up. The Lift Pump's time is complete on the lifting of fuel at start up - and power shuts off, and it goes dormant. The CAPS takes over and 'sucks/vacuums' the fuel it needs to send on down to the cylinders.

It's either on, or off, or failing when on due to air leakage, or intermittent electric juice.

Best of luck to you, and please comeback and share the final outcome, as it could help someone else in the future.

Travel safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
TR4

Looking at a wiring schematic for my coach, the lift pump gets power directly from the ECM. I would think you would get a CEL if power was not detected. Since it’s at Cummins, they’ll probably just replace the lift pump. Could be a bad ECM, but not likely. Let us know what they find and welcome to irv2.

Bill
Old 08-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not uncommon for the pump motor to be intermittent, it is just a 12 volt motor with brushes.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would be looking at the ecm connections and also there should be a fuse in line that might be intermittent. I have seen fuses look good and test good but still be defective.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #6

Fixed

Thank you all for your input! In the end the Cummings mechanic found the issue, which was a lose wire. The wire that was lose is shown in the picture I'm trying to attach. It was located in the box on the side that houses the on off switches for the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	258237  
Mblake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #7
TR4

Thanks for reporting back. Did they tell you what the wire or relay controlled?

Bill

Tags
monaco, power, wind