Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Intermittent Red "Stop" warning light

I have recently purchased a01 DSDP, 330 Cummins engine; concern, driving from Seattle to MN (currently in Medora ND), today, the red "Stop" light come on several times as we were going up mountain passes. It would come on / off with no regularity. All engine indicators were in normal operating range. It would not stay on, only a second or two, if I let off the accelerator it would go off.

IS THIS A PROBLEM??? The manual is at home ().

Thanks for any tips!
Billythedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #2

A red stop light IS a problem. Do you also have a CEL (check engine light)? I'd check coolant levels and make sure the overflow tank is on the mark. Also, check your oil. The mountain passes kicking it off seems to show either an overheating condition, or it thinks it's low on coolant. Also, I've heard of the sensor in the overflow tank going bad causing problems, but would think that would kick off a CEL instead of a stop light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythedog View Post
I have recently purchased a01 DSDP, 330 Cummins engine; concern, driving from Seattle to MN (currently in Medora ND), today, the red "Stop" light come on several times as we were going up mountain passes. It would come on / off with no regularity. All engine indicators were in normal operating range. It would not stay on, only a second or two, if I let off the accelerator it would go off.

IS THIS A PROBLEM??? The manual is at home ().

Thanks for any tips!
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #3

Thanks Mark, I've monitored the temp gauges and nothing is our of the ordinary; I'll check the overflow tank as you mentioned. I check the oil daily and all is ok there??? It does appear to be a sensitive or wacky sensor.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #4

I have heard of the cooland sloshing kicking off a low coolant light when climbing hills.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #5

Thanks to all .... I thnk I have discovered my problem i.e. I was running the tranny fluid a little warm, probably in the area of 180 to 190 F. Today I monitored the temp and kept it at or below 175 and no "Stop" light! When I get home I will be able to review the manual I left home (sigh).
Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
190F is not a problem.

Is this an ISC330?. My intermittent stop engine light l was due to a faulty engine oil pressure sensor. There are two on this engine, one for the gauge and one for the ECM. The Cummins fix is to replace the ECM sensor with a switch as it was a high fail item. If you do not get the codes read and fix an intermittent stop engine will eventually leave you stranded. Stop engine lights are to protect the engine from catastrophic damage.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We had the same problem going up grades. When off the diesel pedal going down the grades it would go away. Turned out to be simple fuel starvation.
Changed the fuel filter (at a pull off) behind the battery bay door and immediately fixed the problem. We then later had the other fuel filter (primary) mounted on the engine changed on the way home from Tx to Mi to be sure. We worried and it turned out to be a simple fix. Yes we have the ISC330 and yes now we carry 3 spare filters. We have always added fuel treatment (Alge-x AFC705) and have never had prior or past problems.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Low coolant will also cause a check engine light. Make sure you can see coolant in the sight glass while on level ground.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #9

Thanks to all; I now have an expanded list of engine checks to monitor. I also have the manuals to review.

Happy trails to all!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same engine and had the same problem. If the coach was sitting too long algae will form in the tank. As you travel it will clog your fuel filter. Change that. And carry a spare. Once you run through a couple of tank full. It will go away.
If the light comes on for more than a few seconds. Stop. Proceed when it goes off.

They make an additive if your coach sits more than 2 months to prevent algae.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #11

Thanks for the tip. Do you know what additive is recommended?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
The anti-algae additive for Diesels is Biobar. I add some once a year.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used Biobor in my boats and MH's for over 25 years, works!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Word of caution about using Biobor right now. If you already have an algae problem it will loosen the crud fast. Have several fuel filters on hand to swap as they clog. I use it regularly. My friend decided to start putting it in his. Got two miles down the road before the stop engine light came on caused by a clogged fuel filter. Took him 3 filters before it was clear!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote