Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is this a sign of Regeneration?

Had the coach a couple months now. Still learning things. I searched topics but didn't find anything that seemed to answer this so...

We are traveling south on I-64/I-77 from Charleston WV to High Point NC. Lots of up and downs. Just about the time we get to the Beckly WV area I start noticing the following:

1. Poor acceleration on flats.
2. High boost (35+) with any acceleration.
3. Closed throttle I still see bout 8-10 PSI of boost.
4. MPG drop to 5 MPG or less on flats.
5. No lights and no codes.
6. Drops into 5th on gentle climbs or flat acceleration.
7. Water and tranny temps normal!

Thoughts?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #2

My guess is clogged fuel filters.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
My guess is clogged fuel filters.
HMMM...don't know why I didn't think of that.

Filters are relatively new so maybe that is why I didn't consider that.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

If your getting high boost numbers, that would lead me away from fuel filters.

It takes fuel to create combustion and that's what spins up the turbo.

When you are noticing the loss of acceleration, is the trans downshifting enough to get the RPMs up in the HP range ?

High boost comes from the engine working hard.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If your getting high boost numbers, that would lead me away from fuel filters.

It takes fuel to create combustion and that's what spins up the turbo.

When you are noticing the loss of acceleration, is the trans downshifting enough to get the RPMs up in the HP range ?

High boost comes from the engine working hard.
I kinda thought the same. Yep, it would downshift too.

I started this thread while stopped for lunch. After we got back on the road everything seemed much more normal. I could even get a slight bit of acceleration on slight to moderate uphill sections. These were "normal" seat-of-the-pants expectations.

I hadn't really studied the boost issue at closed throttle before. I noted that at idle with the park brake on I was getting about .5 boost. Even after things seemed better and when I was clearly coasting and even with the engine brake engaging I would see 6-9 pounds. Now, I just went from and exhaust brake on the previous coach to an engine brake on this one. Perhaps that is something that might change that?

One other thing that MIGHT be a factor is the wind. With the comfort drive I have a much reduced "feel" for the wind than before. When we parked for lunch I noticed that there was a bit more wind from the south but as we were leaving there was a frontal passage and wind shift. Given we were in the valleys a lot I'm wondering if the pre-lunch winds may have fooled me on what I should have "felt". This is our first trip in to the more serious hills in West Virginia.

OTOH...I'm still wondering if a regeneration cycle while driving might produce some performance changes. Also, shouldn't I expect a bit of boost even at idle at higher altitudes? Just thinking outloud on that.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Which engine do you have? I have the ISL9 8.9L 425hp. I have experience 3 regen cycles in the little over a year that I’ve owned our coach. On two of the regens, I noticed no difference in performance. The light came on on the dash and the dash info centre said “hi exhaust temp”. All the regens have occurred right after getting the coach back from the dealer who idled it too much. On the last time, they must have idled it so much that the engine went into limp mode and the dash told me to regen immediately or take coach to a service centre. The engine would only give me 75% power. I definitely noticed the reduced power on my way home from the dealer. I took it out on the highway and held a 65 mph speed. 30 mins later, the regen was over and all lights went out. I have never had a regen or loss of power without a light going on on the dash. I don’t know what the boost was as I didn’t think to look at it. But my engine and tranny temps were normal during the regen. If you don’t have any lights to state a regen, then I doubt you’re having a regen. Unless that dash light is burnt out maybe?
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Compared to my everyday truck a 17 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins our 17 Newmar LA with ISX-15 runs at higher boost pressures at cruising speed say 65 mph and no grade, the truck would be at 1-2 lbs. boost vs. 8-9 on ISX all new filters. At idle was was showing 1# boost. Removed intake from air filter and boost went to zero. Used a borescope to look up hose and ran into fiberglassed looking embedded wood water diverted. I feel like removing this and placing large duckbill on elbow before entering air filter. Seems like the ISX is starving for air. To those more mechanically inclined could this cause high boost pressures?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When you turn your key to the 'on' position, does your regen lights on your instrument cluster, light up for a few seconds?
Old 08-26-2018, 05:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Follow up...

OK...it didn't have anything to do with regeneration. Having attended Camp Freightliner and talking with techs there is nothing that indicates it. I would go so far to say that my question was really based on ignorance about the whole subject.

So, what was it that made me wonder these things?

I'm thinking it was a combination of things.

1. The previous DSDP had a performance chip, K&N air filter and lower back pressure muffler. These mods certainly improved the coach performance. That may have skewed my expectations for the new coach.

2. We were on the WV turnpike and perhaps my evaluation of the grades was "off". As an example, I may have "felt" I was on a flat when I was in a slight climb. Then, when I hit a subsequent higher grade I didn't perceive it as such.

3. We were often in reduced visibility due to rain. That could have also been a factor in how I perceived climb grades.

4. I'm also thinking that winds were a bit more significant in general and amplified when the route had higher hills on both sides.

5. I was running in the ECO mode and perhaps I should have gotten out of that because of the greater grades instead of the rolling hills where the ECO mode is helpful.

Since then I've gotten a better feel for what is fair expectation. To be honest, I'm not impressed with it's "performance" but it is not far off of what my expectations would have been before I chipped my previous coach.