Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

Isb 275 hp "dead pedal"

We have a 1999 Discovery with a Cummins ISB 275 engine. Have had four "dead pedal" occurrences over the past 8 years. The latest this spring in Florida. Cummins tampa tested the coach with no success. In each case we were stopped on an incline and when we started, the engine went into a "Depower" status. When we shut down and then restarted later, the engine ran fine.
After extensive research on DODGE CUMMINS wedsites. I was convinced that the OEM Carter BOOST PUMP failed to provide the proper fuel pressure to the Bosch VP-44 high pressure injector pump, thus causing the VP-44 to go into a "Depower" status.
To correct this situation, we have replaced the OEM boost pump with a FACTORY REPLACEMENT RAPTOR PUMP, FRRP-100 which has a boost pressure of 15-16 psi, three times the OEM pump plus pumps 100 gallons per hour.
So far the ISB loves it. Just hums along. We expect that in situations in future that call for full boost pressure, we will nolonger suffer from "DEAD PEDAL"
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
GOOD for you !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #3

Something else recommended on the Dodge/Cummins sites is to use 1 oz. two cycle oil (ashless) per one gallon of fuel for lubricity in the VP44.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
We have a 1999 Discovery with a Cummins ISB 275 engine. Have had four "dead pedal" occurrences over the past 8 years. The latest this spring in Florida. Cummins tampa tested the coach with no success. In each case we were stopped on an incline and when we started, the engine went into a "Depower" status. When we shut down and then restarted later, the engine ran fine.
After extensive research on DODGE CUMMINS wedsites. I was convinced that the OEM Carter BOOST PUMP failed to provide the proper fuel pressure to the Bosch VP-44 high pressure injector pump, thus causing the VP-44 to go into a "Depower" status.
To correct this situation, we have replaced the OEM boost pump with a FACTORY REPLACEMENT RAPTOR PUMP, FRRP-100 which has a boost pressure of 15-16 psi, three times the OEM pump plus pumps 100 gallons per hour.
So far the ISB loves it. Just hums along. We expect that in situations in future that call for full boost pressure, we will nolonger suffer from "DEAD PEDAL"
Regards,
JimB
Planning to purchase the Raptor as well. Did you install a pressure gauge? Did you install the pump yourself? I was looking at my coach the other day and noticed the lift pump on the engine did not have much access.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #5

I installed the raptor pump recently on my 2007 hr neptune with cummins 5.9 ISB 325hp. I did not replace my existing lift pump however, I used it as a "booster" pump. My existing lift pump worked fine just had low pressure due to length of lines from tank.

I had previously installed a dash pressure gauge and had pressure around 4 psi at wot. Now after the raptor install I have around 20 psi at idle and around 12-14 psi at wot.

Hopefully my factory lift pump will live a long life now.

As a bonus, now when I change fuel filters, one or two switch runs and she fires right up.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #6

I installed the RAPTOR myself. A bit difficult in getting the old bolts to turn loose and to detach the fuel line from the tank. Once done, it was straight forward to installing the new pump. Took about three to four hours altogether. Took my time since being retired, I really enjoy working on our coach. Also installed a pressure gauge.
Go for it.
JimB

PS the key for access to the OEM pump is to remove the final fuel filter which is just about and to the right of the old pump/new pump mount.
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
I installed the RAPTOR myself. A bit difficult in getting the old bolts to turn loose and to detach the fuel line from the tank. Once done, it was straight forward to installing the new pump. Took about three to four hours altogether. Took my time since being retired, I really enjoy working on our coach. Also installed a pressure gauge.
Go for it.
JimB

PS the key for access to the OEM pump is to remove the final fuel filter which is just about and to the right of the old pump/new pump mount.
Great. Do you replace the fuel line at the tank? You mentioned disconnecting at the tank? Any recommendations on a pressure gauge? I was thinking of purchasing the raptor from Summit racing.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Go for it.
JimB

I modified my rear compartment with a removable panel so I would have easy access to the fuel/separator, lift pump, and engine sensors. Makes it easy to work on. Installed new stock lift pump and pressure runs about 12 at idle. Will consider a Raptor later. Thanks for sharing.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The "dead pedal" may be a faulty throttle position sensor if you've got the electronic fuel injector pump. I've replaced two on my '98 Dodge Ram 2500. I say "may" because...usually if this starts to go...you will have more and more episodes of dead pedal. Yours sounds very sporadic.
C.Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 1998 Holiday Rambler on a Freightliner XC. I experience Dead Pedal Several Times and had to shift to Neutral and back to Drive to accelerate. I discovered a slightly backed out terminal at the cruise control connector at the base of the steering column. Since reinserting the terminal, I have not experienced the concern again. It is very concerning to come to a complete stop and then having a Dead Pedal.
dzmrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #11

I also had a dead peddle with my coach and it was not the pump.

It was the goof mechanic that replaced the head gasket that neglected to reconnect the air intake rubber tube to the engine...NO POWER!!!!