Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

ISB 5.9 2002 Bounder

Motor died check engine soon light came on. Stress level boiled over.
Cranked over but wouldn't start
Had it towed (1st time) to shop
Had fuel pump replaced
Drove two hours to RV park with no issues
Shut it down in but it wouldn't start back up
Tech worked very hard for 2 days at RV park testing circuits and sweating (92°)
Had ECM checked by Freightliner, it was OK
After priming the motor it started and ran fine with no issues
Drove it to the shop and they're still working on it with much vigor.
Maybe lift pump? They're not sure.
3 Techs worked all day on it today
They tested, bypassed, stressed all the circuits. Even changed starting batteries.
It now runs great but it won't start without priming.
We'll see on Monday....
Have my DW so all is good
sullyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #2

What you are describing are classic symptoms of an air leak in a fuel line.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #3

Does your engine have the vp44 injection pump. Is that the pump they changed or just the lift pump. Large price difference between the two. These engines are famous for the lift pump going, and taking out the injection pump with it. They built these style from 98 1\2 to 02 I believe.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Does your engine have the vp44 injection pump. Is that the pump they changed or just the lift pump. Large price difference between the two. These engines are famous for the lift pump going, and taking out the injection pump with it. They built these style from 98 1\2 to 02 I believe.
He's right on the money. I has a 02 Dodge with the Cummins. Lift pump dies and kills the VP44.

Check this website..... www.mopar1973man.com these guys will do everything to help you and know absolutely everything about that motor.

Now, what I remember when people had the same problem after changing the pumps was there is a crush washer on the head on the last cylinder that would leak off at night. Very pesky to change and caused major headaches to the victims.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #5

Found it....

https://mopar1973man.com/topic/16554...comment-216327
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:56 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
What you are describing are classic symptoms of an air leak in a fuel line.
Exactly. see my blog link below. Should always prime by bumping the starter once.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by agpopp View Post

Now, what I remember when people had the same problem after changing the pumps was there is a crush washer on the head on the last cylinder that would leak off at night. Very pesky to change and caused major headaches to the victims.
Always install new crush washers when working on the lift pump connection or filter connections.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Exactly. see my blog link below. Should always prime by bumping the starter once.
This should be noted that you have to bump the starter to get it to prime. Just turning the key to the on position doesn't activate the lift pump.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
This should be noted that you have to bump the starter to get it to prime. Just turning the key to the on position doesn't activate the lift pump.
Yup. I installed the glowshift remote gauge to monitor the FP and just turning on the key does nothing. Once the starter is bumped it goes up to 17 lbs. I can also monitor the manifold temp and turbo boost. When travel at 65 mph I push 11 PSI on the fuel, 10 on the boost and 850 on the temp.

At WOT and pushing up hill I see pressure down to 9-10, boost up to 22 lbs temp up to 1250.

This gauge saved me a new V44 when I saw the fuel pressure when down to 5 lbs. A check with a mechanical gauge showed only three pound. Immediately replaced the lift pump and changed filters. Got good pressure after that. (already replace one 10 years ago)
Old 08-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyracer View Post
Motor died check engine soon light came on. Stress level boiled over.
Cranked over but wouldn't start
Had it towed (1st time) to shop
Had fuel pump replaced
Drove two hours to RV park with no issues
Shut it down in but it wouldn't start back up
Tech worked very hard for 2 days at RV park testing circuits and sweating (92°)
Had ECM checked by Freightliner, it was OK
After priming the motor it started and ran fine with no issues
Drove it to the shop and they're still working on it with much vigor.
Maybe lift pump? They're not sure.
3 Techs worked all day on it today
They tested, bypassed, stressed all the circuits. Even changed starting batteries.
It now runs great but it won't start without priming.
We'll see on Monday....
Have my DW so all is good
Update
We made it home safely right before the Covid hit
Safe at home now and time for a follow up.
Ring Power Corp. (Lake City, Fla) did in fact replace the VP 44 injection pump without replacing the lift pump. $$$$.
GS roadside assistance towed me to Ring Power (a Cat dealer) I have a Cummings ISB. Whatever!??
Richard(Ocala), Joe and Alex (Orlando) Ring Techs Put much effort into this and replaced Vp44 again and this time also replaced the lift pump (Electric fuel pump from Napa).
$5000. Later (2 new starting batteries and fuel pump)
They were true to their warranty and didn’t charge me for the labor or the new VP 44
I am a much wiser dude for all of this And poorer $
But the wisdom is still mine
So in closing what most of you said is correct
when you replace the injection pump replace the lift pump
Thanks to all Can’t wait to go anywhere......
stay safe
sullyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Follow ladagobago's advice and add the fuel pressure gauge, if you are going to keep it a while. I too learned the hard way about the lift pump failure taking out the VP44, then added the gauge. Now we know it should have been standard equipment, but, that's a lot of water under the bridge! Ignorance is bliss, until you're ...
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvjackson View Post
Follow ladagobago's advice and add the fuel pressure gauge, if you are going to keep it a while. I too learned the hard way about the lift pump failure taking out the VP44, then added the gauge. Now we know it should have been standard equipment, but, that's a lot of water under the bridge! Ignorance is bliss, until you're ...
Thanks for supporting my suggestion. I rely on those gauges to confirm the proper operation of the fuel supply every single starting operation. First I click the key to start the process. With just a bump of the starter, the fuel pressure goes up to 17 lbs. Now I know I have pressure to the injector pump. The next turn of the key I have a running engine in less than three seconds. That also due to the energy from my AGM starting batteries. After the engine runs I can see a solid 11 lbs or more pounds letting me know that all is good.
While traveling at speed or up hills I can see that the pump is solid and working well within acceptable standards. Adding a 5 Lbs binary sensor and alarm would be the very best thing that could be added to complete the early warning system of fuel failure and catastrophic failure of the injector pump.

Tags
bounder