Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ISB 5.9 exhaust cracked manifold replacment

I started this tread to separate the two issues of replacing the cracked manifold from the egt conversations.
So I am going to replace my manifold and now looking for info on part #, cost and source.

As a temporary matter I have attempted to use 2400 degree patch goop and a 1000 degree bandage to allow for operation until new part.

I know I will have to PB blast the hell out of every thing and as well clean the threads as much as possible. It appears that I have the tools to remove with both an air and electric impact as well as the sockets.

the only PTA will be the turbo bolts as they are under the flange. Not sure if they are reached from under the engine with extensions.

any and all suggestions welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Pick your exhaust ------OEM to aftermarket ($$$ to $$$$$)

https://www.genosgarage.com/category/exhaust-manifolds
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I feel your pain, my ISL cracked it this past weekend. At least you have performance options, looks like I might be stuck with OE parts.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I contacted Cummins Distibutor and they say the parts for the manifold are ordered separtely since it is a two piece manifold.
larger side with turbo
#3943875 $182.00
shorter end
#3943872 $148
New part should slide into the splice.
Delivery overnight.

Geno's does not carry OEM and does not have what I need for the 90 degree turbo mount.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #5

ISB 5.9 exhaust cracked manifold replacment

I replaced my exhaust manifold 6 years ago & the total price was ~$400 for parts. I used PB blaster & had no trouble getting the bolts out
Attached Images

lavamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Mine was $580 for all of the parts, including bolts, gaskets turbo supply and drain tube (rubber sleeve) also. I soaked it down last night, I'm diving in on Saturday AM so I will keep soaking them down everyday. The replacement manifold from Cummins is much better reinforced compared to the original, that put a smile on my face!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

I'm pulling out in the morning on a two thousand mile trip with the cracked exhaust manifold and will fix it on the road if necessary. I have the new one, list $790.+ and net was $448.00 or thereabouts.

The reason I'm going on without making the repair is I'm still waiting on parts like new fasteners and the EGT probe. I'll have a bud install the probe in then news exhaust manifold at his machine shop. I'm taking the new one along in case but I hope not to need it.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
I'm pulling out in the morning on a two thousand mile trip with the cracked exhaust manifold and will fix it on the road if necessary. I have the new one, list $790.+ and net was $448.00 or thereabouts.

The reason I'm going on without making the repair is I'm still waiting on parts like new fasteners and the EGT probe. I'll have a bud install the probe in then news exhaust manifold at his machine shop. I'm taking the new one along in case but I hope not to need it.
I wonder if that is the best thing to do. you may experience low power from the turbo and a lot of extra heat/residue in the engine compartment. We have a trip to do too but I felt some temporary repair was needed. Used the items pictured to make a repair that should last a while. clean the pipe with dremil, course emery paper and coat into the crack the 2400 degree Quick Steel (advance auto $9 along with the fiberglass, let cure over night, sand lightly with emery cloth and wrap the expanded aluminum rain gutter (cut to fit) from HD $3 and wrap with 14 gauge copper wire. Then apply thick coat (another $9 bucks) of Quick steel. let set overnight, next day run engine for 30 minutes or so at idle to cure product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crack manifold_resized.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	139603   Click image for larger version

Name:	maifold repair .jpg
Views:	120
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	139605  

Attached Images

Old 09-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #9

A suggestion on all exhaust manifolds is to wrap or cover manifold with a heat shield material. This will keep the heat in the exhaust manifold when you shut the engine down which will cut down on the manifold cooling quickly and over time add the life of manifolds. I will also cut down on heat in engine area plus a slight increase in turbo pressure by keeping the heat in the exhaust. Summit and Jeg's sell heat wrap rolls for this job. On our 500 ISM I have wrapped the exhaust from the turbo to the exhaust tip 12 years ago and 130K miles ago.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #10

It's obvious we are comparing peas to avocados here. My manifold has a crack, his is missing a huge piece.

We've traveled 1200 plus miles the last three days, love the back roads and don't like Interstates. Since the comment went up about wrapping the manifold with some heat tape I have been looking for an auto parts store that's easy access for us. I will wrap the crack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	139883  
Old 09-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
It's obvious we are comparing peas to avocados here. My manifold has a crack, his is missing a huge piece.

We've traveled 1200 plus miles the last three days, love the back roads and don't like Interstates. Since the comment went up about wrapping the manifold with some heat tape I have been looking for an auto parts store that's easy access for us. I will wrap the crack.
Most auto stores have heat wraps. try advance - I know they have it.

When your say "HIS" is missing a piece - to whom are your referring.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Most auto stores have heat wraps. try advance - I know they have it.

When your say "HIS" is missing a piece - to whom are your referring.
I went back and pulled your photo up and it doesn't look as bad as it did when I looked at it in the posting. My bad. My impression was the back half of your manifold was missing.

We're in Custer NE and have a rental car so I will find the wrap and use it before we leave Thursday morning for home.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
A suggestion on all exhaust manifolds is to wrap or cover manifold with a heat shield material. This will keep the heat in the exhaust manifold when you shut the engine down which will cut down on the manifold cooling quickly and over time add the life of manifolds. I will also cut down on heat in engine area plus a slight increase in turbo pressure by keeping the heat in the exhaust. Summit and Jeg's sell heat wrap rolls for this job. On our 500 ISM I have wrapped the exhaust from the turbo to the exhaust tip 12 years ago and 130K miles ago.
Tom, I find this interesting, wouldn't it actually cause a problem with trapping the heat inside? I do see a real benefit with lowering the temps in the engine compartment.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CRACK repair update

As much as I hope for a fix it failed. Put soap solution on manifold and started engine. Lots of bubbles. Crack repair cracked so don't waist your time. As for the WRAP for heat. I think it is a good idea as it will put more heat to the turbo and cause the cast iron not to shrink as fast as the steel head. may be helpful. I know on my ISB there is all kinds of places that the heat transfers must be huge. Less than 1 inch between manifold (1100) and turbo riser output tube (fresh air intake ambient), then the exhaust bends right next to and under the air intake filter. Lots of room for study of thermal dynamics here.

I want cold air in but the the engine output keeps feeding heat. not a good equilibrium.