Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
ready for new manifold

Got all the broken bolts out with extractors and now ready to drill the manifold for the EGT probe. Practiced on the old manifold and used soap water for lubricant. Real easy.

Ordered new turbo flange studs and nuts, not real cheap - about $30 dollars for the four, new manifold bolts, another $45 and two turbo V clamps at $39 each. Could have gotten all these a few dollars cheaper on the internet but want them Monday and Cummins has them through my Western Start Dealer.

When I had the extractors hammered on the broken bolts, I used the pipe wrench to turn them out very slow. just a little click at a time. I found the Acetone/ATF fluid very good to lube the threads. It would appear the treads were a little galled after I got them out. This may have been caused by manufacture at time of install as poor hole tap, lack of lube or over torque. IMHO.

At any rate - the engine is headed toward the finish line.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
turbo apart

Finally got the turbo separated from the broken manifold. Don't let anyone every tell you that the turbo can removed without removing the manifold on thee DP. today bought a set of wrenches to add to the many types I already have in the tool box. Kobalt Universal 8-Piece Standard Black Oxide has a unique gripping ability on the box end. The only way to get the turbo nuts of the studs was to apply large amount of heat from the Mapp and Propane torches. Once RED hot they were easy to turn but three of them broke off anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrech.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	141089   Click image for larger version

Name:	nore nuts 61802a_resized.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	141090  

Name:	nuts off_resized.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	141091   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 nuttss 008161802_resized.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	141092  

Old 10-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
back together but won't start only cranks

I got the new manifold and everything back together. I re-attached the wires to the starting batteries and cranked the engine. It cranked slow so I checked my battery connections and found one of the large Positive wires laying in back of the batteries. I had not seen it and forgot to connect it. I then connected the lost cable and crank again. the engine spins normally but still won't start.

What could I have done or damaged that would cause it not to start?? I am worried now.
I have been working on this for three weeks and expected to leave this Nov 1st.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #46

American Coach Owners Club
Sounds like you're still missing a wire at the positive side, there should be a smaller wire that powers the ECM, sometimes there is a fuse holder inline with it....but maybe it fell down where the other cable did
mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
U da man mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Sounds like you're still missing a wire at the positive side, there should be a smaller wire that powers the ECM, sometimes there is a fuse holder inline with it....but maybe it fell down where the other cable did
MACK - your the man. I looked and low and behold there was a little black wire that should have been going to ground. I also called FL and they said to the check the fuses in my battery bay on the left. I had one 10 amp fuse blown.

Now when I turn the key the fuel pressure gauge rises up to 11 LBS but the engine will not start. I am going to take the top off the filter to see if fuel is filling the container. If it is full then I have another problem I guess.

Thanks for making me look twice.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Manifold install is complete. Followup

I installed the turbo to the manifold,
First Double nut the studs and torque to 32 lbs. USE neverseez Nickle on everything, it is good for 2400 degrees. Install the turbo on the studs, Use claw foot on torque wrench and set it for 27 lbs. will be about 30 lbs on nut. Bring the torque up evenly diagonally as the turbo is attached to the manifold.

manifold and turbo to engine.

To support the manifold while attaching the bolt, spacers and gasket, I made a jig out of 1/2" conduit attached to a 2x4 and some web straps to hang the manifold. See pic below. It made the job very easy. once every thing was in place, just align the bolt with the hole in the head and tighten a little. Go to the other end and do the same. once everything is lined up thumb tighten all the bolts.

When ready- hand tighten with ratchet, every bolt starting in the middle and work outwards. Next torqued each bolt progressively from center outward 20 then 25 then 32 lbs.

After the manifold install was completed attached exhaust valve to turbo with V clamps. there are two different sizes of clamps on the PAC brake, installed new oil line ($45) and gasket to return oil line, attached air in from filter to turbo, re-mount the alternator, install turbo air out elbow with RTV red gasket maker, install air out tubes to CAC. when Installing the rubber air connections I use a water based personal lube sold at Walmart. Same as KY Jelly but cheaper and very effective. used to use it on big 10" yacht exhaust tubes.

Now reconnect ALL OF THE BATTERY WIRES. (i missed a few as noted earlier) and START YOUR MOTOR.

To find out how the road test went go to the other thread on this forum.
Replace lift pump

A special thanks to all those who posted helpful thoughts and followed my first big motor fix. Now I am ready to work on my 72 XKE 121 banger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	suppoert manifold  _resized.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	141605   Click image for larger version

Name:	over head support manifold_resized.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	141606