Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes I would do a pressure test on the cac to see if you have any leaks. Those parts that came off went some ware.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #30

Another Update

Well Gang,

I have the turbo rebuilt for a shop down in the Detroit area that is a service center for Holset Turbo's. They did a great job! We put it all back in yesterday and all looked good. We started and stopped it multiple times, burped the air in the radiator tank. Before the turbo was replaced I had the check engine light on in the rig. After it was replaced sitting in the drive the light was off. So we took it for a run. I didn't get 100 yrds down the road and the check engine light came back on but so far it seemed to be running great. I drove it in the city and on the highway and Wow it ran fantastic.......until I came off the highway and came to a stop. When I started to take off it did the same thing as before. It could barely get going and tons of black smoke....Then a 1/2 mile down the road it started working again and still is.....???? I'm hoping I just need to run it and maybe things will settle in but in the back of my mind I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the EGR. What I'm not sure. Everything thing appeared to be fine with it when I had everything apart. Overall it was not that hard of a job but for sure something you needed 2 people to do. Everyone's help has been invaluable and I will keep you posted more as I digg thru this a figure it out once and for all. Below are a couple of pics of the finished work. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0097.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	43148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0095.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	43149  

jzielins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #31

From my readings on Garrett VGTs, you could have a bad VGT solenoid/actuator, sticking VGT vanes, or any other sensor that tells the computer to actuate the vanes properly.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
From my readings on Garrett VGTs, you could have a bad VGT solenoid/actuator, sticking VGT vanes, or any other sensor that tells the computer to actuate the vanes properly.
Wow you think so? I know all that was replaced when they rebuilt the turbo. I would really be surprised. How would I even check that? Maybe taking it back to Frieghtliner or Cummins and having them put it on their scope again and seeing what codes are coming up???
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #33

Thanks for posting the up-date; and we hope you can get the last problem wrapped up soon , with a minimum of $$$.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #34

If there's a CEL, that's always a good thing to do; scan it.
Did they do a full rebuild? Compressor and exhaust side? If so, I wouldn't think it'd be the turbo either.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #35

Did you determine where the debris came from that caused the original Turbo failure? If that was not resolved, you may be back to square one and needing to rebuild the Turbo again.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #36

Turbo Update

Yes it was a full turbo rebuild. I never did find any debris. I took all the pipes off of the CAC and all other pipes in the system, I blew air thru out everything and nothing. I really believe what ever it was had either ground it self up or made it's way thru the system. I gonna run it this afternoon on about a 100 mile round trip. I will give an update later tonight.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #37

Turbo Sticking Update

Hi Gang,

Well I took the Rig on about a 200 round trip yesterday afternoon and knock on wood she ran Great! Plenty of power, no intermittent bogging or thick black smoke other than your typical diesel smoke that diesels throw

Shift points were really good and it seemed to run better on the way back. I still had the check engine light coming on and off all day so I think I will drive it a few more times and then maybe have it scoped again and see what codes it's throwing then.

Thanks to everyone for all your help! It's been much appreciated! If I ever figure out the check engine light I'll post my finding.

Regards,
Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #38

Well bad news...I was driving the rig up to get gas this morning and about 5 miles from the house at a stop I went to take off and tons of thick black smoke and no power then the smoke turned thick white and could barely get the coach to the side of the road and it smells like burnt rubber in the back when you open the engine door.

Waiting for a tow truck
Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #39

I have it home and it looks like the Turbo blew. It's leaking oil at the turbo and out the exhaust pipe! I'll let it cool and take a better look. Not sure if the EGR could have caused this to happen or not
Old 07-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #40

Wow, I'd sure take it back to that shop.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #41

So where could the oil be coming from? Is it possible that you oil is coming from the EGR valve? I would sure hate to go through all the work and take the turbo off to find out it's not a turbo. Is there a sealed bearing that could let go in the turbo? Man really confused!
Old 07-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #42

The EGR shouldn't have any oil in it, just exhaust and coolant AFAIK.
The turbo has oil to lubricate the bearing and the seal could have let loose.

Tags
cummins