Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #1

ISB slobber tube question

Our 2013 coach is blessed with an ISB 360hp engine. Last time I was "under the belly" I noticed what looked like a slobber tube.

Here's my question... Our previous C-7 had a slobber tube that slobbered oil residue on the rear radiator. Does the late model ISB engine also have a propensity to do this? Should I be thinking about piping the slobber to the rear as with the C-7 engine?

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Joopy, there is no slobber tube , stopped that in about 07' ,They now have the recirculating systems on them to keep emissions down, and there might be a filter involved on the side of the block, a screen filter? I am not sure about the newer engine's and if they use filters on the system.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:09 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have similar question. I also previously had a C7 and had to extend the slobber tube to keep the radiator cleaner. If you put in excess oil the engine did not want the excess was thrown out the slobber tub. The engine seemed to stabilize at the lower oil level and be happy

With the Cummins ISL closed system where does the excises oil go? I lost a gallon of oil with my first 10,000 miles. I was advised not to add more oil as it would stabilize and level should stay at its level. Still testing this theory I am.

But question is: in closed system where and how does the excess oil exit the system? At least it does not seem to exit the system an spray the toad which got covered with black gooie tarish oil if system wanted less oil than was added.

John Abbott, Melbourne, Fl
2015 Winnebago Tour GD. 450 Cummins 8.9 ISL
RRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #4

On the ISB engines the crank case now has a filter that needs to be replaced at so many miles. On the 6.7L Cummins that is used in the Ram pick-up trucks this needs to be replaced every 66,700 miles. When I replaced mine it was quiet full of oil and leaked oil out as soon as I lifted it up.

The filter all 6.7L built at the CMEP plant where yours is built has them under a cover on top of the engine.

Here is a link to the Cummins engine home page.
Home - Cummins Engines

Jim W.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Joopy, there is no slobber tube , stopped that in about 07' ,They now have the recirculating systems on them to keep emissions down, and there might be a filter involved on the side of the block, a screen filter? I am not sure about the newer engine's and if they use filters on the system.
Thanks Palehorse. Good to know. But, any idea what the metal tube is that extends down the curb side of the engine? Looks like maybe a 1" tube with some oily residue. Reminds me of an old breather tube from yesteryear

John,
My guess would be that the new engine may have consumed the oil while breaking in the cylinders and piston rings?

Thanks for the link, Jim.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 11-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Where does the tube go? On mine, with the slobber tube, one can see it going into the side of the upper part of the crankcase. I am not sure what you have there, take a look next time you are under there and see if you can see where it goes to or comes from.......... On my ISC, the tube is on the drivers side......A lot of years between yours and mine though....Maybe someone that has the same engine will chime in and tell us.....what it is?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
In my 08 Camelot, manufactured May 2007, is a hold-over 2006 Cummins ISL 400. This engine, black in color, has no DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter.) Cummins ISL's manufactured after Jan 1, 2007 have DPF's and are red.

That being said, I do have a "closed" crankcase system, name EnviroGuard. As I was getting a slight oil residue behind the starter, I investigated to find the EnviroGaurd has a plastic vent tube to the atmosphere, terminating behind the starter. So, it is not a completely closed system.

Back in 2009, I ran a hose from the EnviroGuard to a Jazz Bottle, eliminating the drop tube, and now have a clean engine.

I realize you were asking about a newer ISB engine, not an ISL. With a little inspection of your engine, or research on the web, you may find yours similar. Not sure.

Just trying to help with a little background info.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
In my 08 Camelot, manufactured May 2007, is a hold-over 2006 Cummins ISL 400. This engine, black in color, has no DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter.) Cummins ISL's manufactured after Jan 1, 2007 have DPF's and are red.

That being said, I do have a "closed" crankcase system, name EnviroGuard. As I was getting a slight oil residue behind the starter, I investigated to find the EnviroGaurd has a plastic vent tube to the atmosphere, terminating behind the starter. So, it is not a completely closed system.....
I think you might be on to something, Harry. I'm really curious now and so, as Palehorse mentioned, I'll take a closer look next time I'm underneath. I should be bringing it home from storage in about a week and a half to pack it full of "snowbird" clothing Weather permitting, we're hoping to hit the road south later this month. They're predicting 5" to 8" here on this Wednesday

cheers,
Joopy
Old 12-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #9

Got the coach out of storage and crawled underneath to look for the engine number. So, here's a picture of the tube I posted about which is located on the driver side. It appears to run up to the valve cover somewhere and could be a type of "vent" as mentioned by Harry. It appears to be exhausting some small amount of oil residue, but then again, there is other relatively minor oil leaks on the engine and I really can't tell where the source(s) is. In any event there is not enough leakage to create any drips on to the pavement, at least not while parked for several days.
However, while under there I did find small drip on the pavement from a coolant drip at one of the large hoses. I tightened the clamp a bit which was not very tight.

cheers,
Joopy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	80672  
Old 12-07-2014, 05:22 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Is the tube hard plastic or rubber? Can't quite tell from the picture, but assume hard plastic like mine.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417954934.511494.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	80676

When you feel like getting messy, wash the engine off with a few cans of brake clean, start at the highest oily portion. Then on your next trip, take a peek after your first day of driving to see if you can pinpoint the origin. Sometimes the air turbulence around the engine will scatter the oil, making the original source hard to identify.

You can also make a temporary drip can for the tube to contain any oil from it, while checking for any other source of leaks.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Cool Simple, cheap, quick fix.......

I used a plastic water bottle as it fit my slobber tube perfect, I just took a hacksaw and put a 3/4"deep cross in the top of the bottle where the threads are so I could put a small hose clamp on it and it would pinch down and hold, around the top of the bottle on the tapered part I put a 1/4" drill in a pair of vise grips and heated it (blunt end of drill) and melted the holes around the top of it. I tryed drilling one and it is to thin and broke.Clean it when I do my oil once a year. If you look at the bottle, you can see a piece of 3/4" copper tubing inside it, it extends down 1/2 way inside the bottle so the pressure from the tube is exhausting down inside the bottle, and the copper tubing was the right size to connect the bottle to the slobber tube on the engine. The level you see in the bottle is from driving through a all day rain, it is water, I just dump it or let it evaporate. By the looks of the photo, you slobber tube is making a mess..............................as they all do. If you want to spend more money and get elaborate, others have made some fancy one on here https://www.google.com/search?q=slob...y=0&gws_rd=ssl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07562.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	80679  
Old 12-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #12

Thanks for the input, guys. I think the tube is actually metal but it could be plastic. I didn't touch or tap on it but I will do that next time I'm under there.

I'll investigate the oil leaks more when warmer weather comes back around The oil residue on the engine isn't that drastic and is from 15K miles.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 12-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #13

I have an older ISC engine, but from reading on the TRVN site, it is my understanding that there is a crankcase breather filter aka a coalescing filter on top of the newer engines that has to be replaced periodically, but not often. It is accessed from the bedroom floor area. You can go to TRVN and find a lot of information regarding its replacement. There is also information on this website regarding the crankcase breather filter. There is also a coalescing filter that is part of the air dryer for the brake system. The term "coalescing" can be a bit confusing depending on its usage. Hope this helps a little.
znt1186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #14

Joopy, that tube is plastic and 3/4" cpvc pipe fits it quite nicely. It is a crank case vent so it will have some oil mist coming out as you run it. A catch bottle like what palehorse89 did will stop almost all the oil getting all over the engine. That is the recommended fix for the plugged radiator some have problems with.