RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #1

ISB340 6.7 pulley

Greetings.....

I've heard of a few instances where the AC compressor cratered and took out the belt on Berkshires with the 6.7 Cummins.

I carry a spare belt, but without the compressor that isn't much help. I have found pictures of the engine with a pulley where the compressor sits.... Anyone know of a source where I could get a (used?) pulley AND bracket for not too much $$ ?

Plan would be to do an emergency repair where I pull the compressor, install the pulley and new belt, hang the compressor off to the side and then be able to get to a place where I can effect the permanent repair....

One assumption here is that the belt size is the same whether the compressor is on there or the pulley.... Once I get it I'll have to take a close look at that, and MAYBE even do a test run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 3.56.50 PM.png
Views:	44
Size:	757.8 KB
ID:	234483  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #2

Hi Oscarvan; I don't think you would need to do any of that in what you mentioned in your post. Then A/C compressor has a pully with a 12V clutch mounted on the front of the compressor. Yes, if the A/C pump was running and the clutch was engaged and the internals of the compressor took a dump and locked up while your are driving down the road, it could burn up the belt. The internal parts of the compressor run when the clutch is engaged. The pully, in my opinion, would not be affected after the lock up of the compressor. To me, after all the bad happens, you would install a new belt and disconnect the 12V wire to the clutch. Now the clutch can't engage and just the pully rotates freely on the compressor. This is how I would approach your question. Hope this info helps!

8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #3

I've been doing some more research as we go along. And yes, you are correct IF it's the internals of the compressor seizing. There have however also been instances where it's the clutch that crapped out and then your approach would not work.

I have since come back from the pulley idea. Turns out the compressor can be had around $200. And, since it will have to go on anyways, I think I'm going order and carry a spare compressor.

I can then unmount the failed one, hang it off to the side and mount the new one which would then, not engaged, allow me to put the new belt on.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So is this a common failure item on the 2017 Berkshire 38A? How maney have you heard of failing? Why do you think this is a problem area?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
So is this a common failure item on the 2017 Berkshire 38A? How maney have you heard of failing? Why do you think this is a problem area?
Bill
Several, on different years/models. It's the ISB that's the common denominator. Problem is that it's a show stopper. I can handle just about anything the "house" throws my way. Either I fix it, bypass it, or tape it up until I can fix it later. It won't stop me.

Chassis failures are another ball of wax. Tow trucks and being held hostage by repair shops because I can't get back to my own tools is something I want to try and avoid. Not to mention the "we've got you by the balls" invoices. So, I carry quite a few tools, and I am putting together a collection of spares that will give me the best shot at doing a roadside repair and keepin' on keepin' on. Of course there's always the toad and the nearest truck parts store.

The compressor is one that I now have read several show stopping stories. The tensioner is another. Some things I DON'T hear (much) is alternator, air system, be it bags/lines or the compressor itself. The engine itself, the transmission, fuel system. Couple of DEF filter/pump stories. And quite a few computer issues, usually caused by one of the many and quite exposed canon plugs underneath getting dirty or loose. Not hard to fix.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 92,000+ on my ISB never a problem (just getting broke in) and I don't expect one. How many miles on your ISB?
"Chassis failures are another ball of wax. Tow trucks and being held hostage by repair shops because I can't get back to my own tools is something I want to try and avoid. Not to mention the "we've got you by the balls" invoices. So, I carry quite a few tools, and I am putting together a collection of spares that will give me the best shot at doing a roadside repair and keepin' on keepin' on. Of course there's always the toad and the nearest truck parts store."
I would join FMCA and sign up for their roadside assist. That will help protect you from your fears of tow trucks.
https://www.fmca.com/fmca-about
Bill
Old 02-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Looked for a few seconds only at the pic ... Can a spare belt sized smaller temp. Installed bypassing the compressor pulley ?

You get home and your in like flint.

I also do my own stuff.
Chief Alen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:14 AM   #8

I have Coach net. And I have no fear of tow trucks, i am appropriately weary of the idiots operating them. I've had them tell me it was "no problem to tow with the shaft in place as long as it was in neutral".... lets not even go to needing to air up to keep the suspension from self destructing and the ass end from dragging. That's assuming he knows how to release the emergency brake.

Chief Alen... yes, the smaller belt is something that's been thrown around but I can't get a straight answer on the size. Spending a lot of time trying to fit one, even beforehand in the comfort of my shop, would be a PITA.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #9

A/C compressor Cummins engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
I've been doing some more research as we go along. And yes, you are correct IF it's the internals of the compressor seizing. There have however also been instances where it's the clutch that crapped out and then your approach would not work.

I have since come back from the pulley idea. Turns out the compressor can be had around $200. And, since it will have to go on anyways, I think I'm going order and carry a spare compressor.

I can then unmount the failed one, hang it off to the side and mount the new one which would then, not engaged, allow me to put the new belt on.
Had my compressor seize up, totally desinigrate, pulley and internal components came out with the belt. Left dimple in the hood and had to be towed to nearest dealer. This frequenly occurring event should be reported and the manufacturer held responsible reimbursing owners for the expenses ~$1500!
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeJ View Post
Had my compressor seize up, totally desinigrate, pulley and internal components came out with the belt. Left dimple in the hood and had to be towed to nearest dealer. This frequenly occurring event should be reported and the manufacturer held responsible reimbursing owners for the expenses ~$1500!
On what? What milage?
Bill
Old 02-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #11

2003 Dodge Ram with 109,000mile Dealer said he “had never heard of such a thing.”

LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote